both mustangs have trouble starting

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Spamcan51
Airman First Class

both mustangs have trouble starting

Post by Spamcan51 »

after a long break from the mustang, both versions. I remember being able to start the mustang in under a minute giver take. I did install the new update, I cant tell if it wont start because of the new changes from the update. has anyone had trouble doing a by the book start-up. I can start it under control-e. and if I'm lucky under cold and darl.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: both mustangs have trouble starting

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Yes I did have some trouble too after the latest update with civ. Mustang. I find that it's very easy to flood the engine now. Before the latest update when doing a cold start I usually primed something between 5-6s (4s is recommended in the checklist.). That used to work just fine. After the 5-19-16 update I couldn't get it to start. So I used a stopwatch to prime exactly 4s (well I use the built in clock in the panel now) and opened the throttle a bit further. Now I get her started every time just fine. I still feel like it takes a couple of more revolutions of the prop for the engine to fire though.

I'm assuming your engine is healthy and all the fluids are there since you get it started with crtl-e? Maybe you can check if you're flooding the engine by just priming a little less. Or if you had a failed start attempt just don't prime and open the throttle more and see if she fires. But be aware that if the engine starts you need to pull back the throttle immediately to avoid high rpms on startup.

Hope you'll get it worked out soon.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes with Dudley and others feedback the Stang was tweaked a bit further for the last update.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Spamcan51
Airman First Class

Post by Spamcan51 »

should I just let the engine turn til it starts to come to life, and no prime.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

You can work up to a good start by prime two seconds prior to start, then engage the starter and work the primer for another second and release, and repeat this until it begins to come to life. This will ensure that you don't over prime.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Have you tried what I suggested above? It didn't work?

If she doesn't fire due to a lack of fuel you can wait till the cows come home (or the battery runs empty) and that Merlin won't start.

You could maybe try to prime for two seconds. Then hit the starter count 6 blades put the mags to both and wait shortly. If she doesn't fire prime some more while the starter is still turning the engine.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Jacques wrote:You can work up to a good start by prime two seconds prior to start, then engage the starter and work the primer for another second and release, and repeat this until it begins to come to life. This will ensure that you don't over prime.
Hehe same thought as me Jacques but you beat me to it typing :wink:

Spamcan51
Airman First Class

Post by Spamcan51 »

I will try it later today.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Spamcan51 wrote:I will try it later today.
We set up the Mustangs to reflect real world prime fidelity.
The first thing you learn not to do when checking out in a Mustang (real world) is not to over prime the engine.
Many pilots flying 51's over prime their Merlins. No more than a few seconds is usually required.
If you are in doubt, give it a two second shot, hit the starter, count several blades then go to BOTH on the mags.
If it starts go to RUN on the mixture and jockey just enough throttle wise to smooth things out.
If it doesn't start, leave it in ICO, don't touch the throttle and continue priming until it starts.
This usually works in average temps.
Dudley Henriques

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

My experience is the same as those mentioned above. I've found that no more than two seconds prime, 6 blades, mags both, if no start I lightly tickle the primer while I continue to crank. Once she fires then mixture to run and work the throttle/rpms. I have not yet gotten her to fire on 4 seconds after update. 1-2 seconds is plenty now-a-days.

Good luck Sir
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Ok guys. I just started my civilian Mustang (with the latest updater) at EDJA in Germany with 19C (66F) ambient temp. 4s of priming --> count six blades on the starter --> mags to hot and after 1 or two seconds she fires right up. Then I moved the mixture to run and that's it.

Works like a charm. Every time.

PS: throttle was at 20%

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”