Still uncontrollable ground loops/tail wheel not operating

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
N70BK
Airman

Still uncontrollable ground loops/tail wheel not operating

Post by N70BK »

I believe there is definitely something wrong with the tail wheel operation on the P-51 (WoP 3) with Core 1.6 update.

I uninstalled C-172, P-51 civ and mil. Re installed just the p-51 civ. Then accusim, then 1.6 update.
The tail wheel doesn't respond to any input. I have 6 deg. right rudder dialed in, the stick back slightly, advance throttle to 30". Starts to the right a little, and almost immediately starts an uncontrollable loop to the left.

I shut damage off from the A2A control panel and watched. I started the take off roll as stated above. Once it started to the left I completely let go of the controls and watched from the tower. It just went around in left circles on the ground. Right differential braking has a slight impact, but once you introduce that input there is no chance of coming back.

I've re installed C-172 and re installed the Core 1.6 update. The 172 is fine (same with 377 and B-17) but right now all I can do with P-51 is enter a Nascar race.

I've seen a few other people with similar issues. I really don't believe it's my control inputs since every other plane acts normally.
Any ideas?

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Still uncontrollable ground loops/tail wheel not operati

Post by robert41 »

Are the controls locked? Check the lock at the bottom of the flight stick, or shift 3 panel.

renaissanceman
Technical Sergeant

Post by renaissanceman »

Hi N70BK,

Have you tried disconnecting all controllers and using the keyboard?

Jim
i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz | ASUS Maximus VIII Formula | 32 GB DDR4 | EVGA GeForce GTX 980TI Classified |
Win 10 Pro 64 | FSX SE | Registered FSUIPC | All Accu-Sim Birds | Accu-Feel v2 | TrackIR5 | AS16 | PRO-ATC/X

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

Hi N70BK,

I'm running Core Update 1.6 with no problems, and I also run the C172 and other Accusim planes with no problems. Based on the info you provide I have a couple of ideas.

It sounds like you are taking off with no working rudder at all. On the takeoff roll the tail wheel isn't that important compared to the airflow over the rudder. The 6 degrees of trim doesn't make much difference, I believe that is actually the desired trim setting for climb, which is simply put in prior to takeoff for ease. On a normal takeoff, the P-51 will require A LOT of actual right rudder to keep it straight on the runway.

Can you park the plane, take the control lock off, and check from the outside that all control surfaces (especially rudder) are in fact working? If so, can you taxi very slowly with the stick forward, and make nice tight turns using the differential brakes and rudder? If you can, your tail wheel is fine.

If you go to your aircraft.cfg file in the WoP3_P51D_civ folder, can you confirm it says:

[accusim]
Version = 1.6

at the very top, just to confirm 1.6 did in fact install correctly on your machine?

Those are my first ideas for now... Hope this is of some help to you.

Joe
Joe

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

I would suggest giving a little more power than 30mp - the airflow (both from the propeller and the fact that the plane is gaining speed) might help the control surfaces being more effective. I have learned that timid takeoffs are not useful with the Mustang.
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Can you please try a core update reinstall and make sure it is updating the files and then restart the system after installation.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

N70BK
Airman

Post by N70BK »

Thanks everybody for your input.
1. Yes, the controls are unlocked, free and clear.
2. From an outside view I can confirm that the rudder is actually moving.
3. I'm only starting to move at 30". That's when I release the brakes and advance the throttle further. I'm keeping the stick back at this point to keep the tail wheel locked (theoretically). This is where it initially moves to the right and then takes off uncontrollably to the left even with full right rudder applied. Seems to have no effect.
4. Confirmed, CFG file, Accusim Version 1.6
5. I have not tried to unplug my controllers and use the keyboard or the mouse, but that is a great idea. I will report back on that.
6. I did a system restart after installing the P-51, after installing accu sim, and after 1.6 upgrade.

I'm using the CH pro pedals and yoke. I also have the CH throttle quadrant which is plugged in but I'm not using for P-51. I'm looking at the CH Control Manager application now. I'm going to calibrate the pedals through that and try to flatten them a little from the app. I had been calibrating my pedals through FSX which could be the problem.

I probably won't have a chance to get back on the sim until later this week but I will report back. In the end it's probably something I'm doing incorrectly. I usually fly multi-engine (except 172) and don't usually fly high performance single engine.
Thanks again for all of your input. I really appreciate it.
Barry

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

First off, the tail wheel does not 'lock' with the stick back. It becomes
restricted to 6 degrees, castering. forward puts it into a free castering
state.

You should have rudder trim set to 6 degrees right and also apply some
right aileron as well as the stick slightly back.

SLOWLY advance the throttle from 30" MP to full power, applying
rudder input as needed.

This is the procedure I use and is what I remember from a thread that Dudley
had posted in here detailing the proper procedure for the P-51D.

Paul

N70BK
Airman

Post by N70BK »

Thanks for the tips Paul. I appreciate it.
I did read Dudley's posts. What an awesome thing to have that kind of a resource.

N70BK
Airman

Post by N70BK »

I'm very happy to report back that I have the P-51 working.
1. I re-installed everything (in the correct order); Aircraft; Accusim;Core 1.6 update; and confirmed in the folder 1.6. I'm pretty sure something here didn't jive and was part of the problem.
2. I calibrated my CH Pro Pedals with the CH Manager. I had been using the manager, but I was calibrating within FSX and it just kept getting worse.

So calibrating within the CH manager and flattening it out a bit made a night and day difference. I was even able to get up in the air with very little trouble from the dirt runway 14R at AYPA.
Now I'm able to concentrate on flying and learning the auto pilot.

Thank you to everyone. I appreciate all of your help.
Barry

billolgaau
Airman Basic

Post by billolgaau »

I have had the same problem, which was driving me (More) Crazy.
I did everything as above & it was still the same till the Penny Dropped - The P-51 was the only one of my Fleet (P-47, Spitfire & AT-6) that I had changed the textures & thus replaced the new Aircraft.cfg with the Backup.

Cut & Pasting my Re-Paints into the New Aircraft.cfg & Bingo, I am back trying to Kill Myself on Takeoff like it used to be.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”