[SOLVED] My cylinders will never die

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
CharlieP51
Staff Sergeant

Re: My cylinders will never die

Post by CharlieP51 »

My pre-flight shows a #5 cylinder failure (low compression) this morning..it was shown in yellow. My tip-off was in the hangar when I got a note to 'check engine' it had no other damage...I clicked a couple times on the #5 cylinder to 'repair' it and it turned from yellow to green like the others and then passed the compression test.

SO..YES ..individual cylinders can and DO fail. My FSX realism settings are in accordance witht e A2A P-51 Manual page 27.

Happy Manual Reading to ALL
Intel Core i7 at 4.2 Ghz w/H2O-16G HyperX RAM-Crucial M4 128G SSD (x2) FSX-SSD & Win7-SSD -GTX 690 5G DDR5-LG 32" HDMI 1920x1080

ImageImage
Image Image

AlexF389
Airman

Post by AlexF389 »

Hi,
I had (or thought I had) this problem with the Spit after the Core Update, when i applied power and nosed over, the prop bent, but the engine seemed to be fine. However, when I turned on crash detection and did the same, I found that cylinders lost compression across the board, bearings went etc etc. So maybe that@s the answer? Hope this helps.

Regards
Alex
Image Image

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men." - Douglas Bader

Daube
Staff Sergeant

Post by Daube »

Problem is solved after a full reinstall of the Mustang and the Spitfire.
Deleted everything, reinstalled the planes, then the Accusim packs, then the Accusim core update.
Now the engine wears off normally.
I still have no idea regarding the origin of the problem, and why the P40 was not affected, but that's not my problem anymore.

CharlieP51
Staff Sergeant

Post by CharlieP51 »

Daube wrote:Problem is solved after a full reinstall of the Mustang and the Spitfire.
Deleted everything, reinstalled the planes, then the Accusim packs, then the Accusim core update.
Now the engine wears off normally.
I still have no idea regarding the origin of the problem, and why the P40 was not affected, but that's not my problem anymore.

I answered this correctly in my first reply in this thread -->> Realism Settings...BUT no one wants to READ the manual any more...

Inappropriate (wrong) Realism Settings within FSX and outlined in the A2A Manual for each specific plane. I think, likely is / was the cause all along. Those Realism Settings need to be as the A2A Manual shows and describes..otherwise anomalies like you've discovered will happen. :(

As an example...with the Accu-Sim Civilian Mustang the respective Accu-Sim Manual begins the discussion and illustrations of the required Realism Settings on page 27. Time to check your settings... :?

Happy SKIES to ALL :) :) :)
Intel Core i7 at 4.2 Ghz w/H2O-16G HyperX RAM-Crucial M4 128G SSD (x2) FSX-SSD & Win7-SSD -GTX 690 5G DDR5-LG 32" HDMI 1920x1080

ImageImage
Image Image

Rudyjo
Senior Airman

Re: [SOLVED] My cylinders will never die

Post by Rudyjo »

This is going off the subject here, but in responce to Charlies Quote "Nobody reads the manual anymore".
Those of us that go back awhile will remember when you bought FS 2000, it came with a printed manual of about 100 pages. You could take it to bed with you and read it.

I tend to quickly go through the PDF manual, many times something doesn't work right on a plane and I put up with it, I finally go back and read the manual again and the
answer is right there.

What I would like to do is print out all the manuals and I would actually look forward to reading them. Like most people, when I get on the computer, it's to fly, not read.
The reason I don't is the high costs of replacing ink, A complete ink refill for my Canon printer is $60. If it would only cost a dollor of paper and ink, I would be glad to print
them out and I would probably read them until I had it memorised.

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

Little more off topic.
You could put the manuals on a tablet PC, iPad or whatever external reader. So you can read while flying.

I copied most of the manuals and self written checklists to my kindle eReader.

Regards
Jens
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

I fly with my iPad next to me... I use it for maps, music and other inflight entertainment. Which is totally realistic as well- my airline pilot friend uses his in the cockpit... In fact I think the FAA OK'd the iPad for use for sectionals, but I could be wrong about that...

Joe

Edit: Just talked to my friend, he clarified for me... He uses his iPad while commuting, which is often, but NOT while in the cockpit. He says the iPad for sectionals is still undergoing testing, and is not fully approved yet. My bad, I was wrong about that.
Joe

Rudyjo
Senior Airman

Post by Rudyjo »

As someone who is about 10 years behind what is the newest thing in electronics, I have to admit I have heard of tablets and ipad, but have no idea what they are. Can you download directly from the computer onto a tablet? Can you recommend a simple unit without all the fancy e-mail stuff on it?

I was over 50 years old before I finally got a computer, I couldn't see the point of having one, now I couldn't imagine being without it.

P.S. If I get one, I promise to read the manual.

Daube
Staff Sergeant

Post by Daube »

CharlieP51 wrote: I answered this correctly in my first reply in this thread -->> Realism Settings...BUT no one wants to READ the manual any more...

Inappropriate (wrong) Realism Settings within FSX and outlined in the A2A Manual for each specific plane. I think, likely is / was the cause all along. Those Realism Settings need to be as the A2A Manual shows and describes..otherwise anomalies like you've discovered will happen. :(

As an example...with the Accu-Sim Civilian Mustang the respective Accu-Sim Manual begins the discussion and illustrations of the required Realism Settings on page 27. Time to check your settings... :?

Thanks for your answer, but unfortunately in my case you were wrong.

CharlieP51
Staff Sergeant

Post by CharlieP51 »

Thank you for the correction..(if you are right) BUT did you EVER set the Realism Settings as per manual..if so maybe I am right after all. No biggie either way...SO can you tell us specifically what 'fixed' your issues? Do you know? IF the Realism Setings are still wrong ..so are you.

IF you can verify the exact cause..it may help others in the future....including yourself.

Thanks for your courtesy and politeness too..much appreciated.

ImageImage
Image Image

Daube
Staff Sergeant

Post by Daube »

My realism settings are still at the same levels as they have always been.
In fact, as I wrote many times before, the Accusim planes that I own have all worked perfectly until very recently, forcing me to create this topic to ask for help.
I had the Cub, the 377, the P47 and the B-17 but these are off-topic, since they use an old version of Accusim. And they are running correctly (everything breaks and wears correctly).

I also have the Accusim P40 and this one works perfectly and never suffered from any issue. Pushing the engine too hard led to worn cylinders and other failures.

But the Accusim Spitfire and the Accusim Mustang, which worked correctly in the past, were suddenly suffering from this "no wear" problem. Since my settings in the sim never ever changed, I suspect the problem may have come from one of the Accusim core updates, which might have messed something up with the Spit and the Mustang that were installed in my sim.

From reading the various topics in these forums dealing with Accusim problems, I understood that a frequent cause can be a corrupted "*.dat" file. So I deleted the .dat file of the Mustang, and it didn't solve the problem. So I have decided to delete both the Mustang and the Spitfire, and then I have reinstalled them, followed by their Accusim extension, followed by the Accusim core update.

And now the Spit and the Mustang engines take damage as they should. In fact, one of my engines is now quite worn out and miss a bit of power, after I made several tests for high altitude fast (well, as fast as I could without blowing the engine) climbs. Now my planes are getting older as I fly them, just like they used to do before the problem occured.

And no, I am absolutely not sure about the true origin of the issue. The mess with the Accusim core update is just a theory of mine, nothing proven, nothing verified. So I can only hope it doesn't occur anymore with the next update :lol: But if it happens again, then I know I'll have to reinstall the planes. Extremist solution, I know, but it's easy, fast (I use SSD drives), and efficient ;)

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

do the realism settings, especially the crash detection, affect the wear of the landing gear / fuselage?

As the invisible trees or whatever it is I used to crash in on runways are a LITTE bit frustrating after a 5 hours flight, I deactivated the crash detection and the aircraft collision (dumb AI pushed back, bad parking positions............). Of course I try to land as soft as possible :D but above all the B377 gets a "sorry" from time to time.. But I have never gotten a bad landing gear.. Some worn breaks, yes... but never a yellow gear-anything...

Greets,
Marc

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”