Civilian P-51 GPS Direct To sim crash

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Civilian P-51 GPS Direct To sim crash

Post by Ian P »

Hi folks.

It appears that the GPS in my civilian Mustang is having a bit of a crisis, in that it really doesn't want me to do a "Direct To" route to anywhere.

If I leave the GPS in any other mode and use the mouse scroll wheel to change the pages (either VC or the 2d panel), it works fine. However if I select the "D->" button and use the scroll wheel to select the first character of an ICAO code, I immediately get the Windows "waiting" spinning circle and FSX closes, citing a fatal error in FSX with the fault module being facilities.dll.

I've got it to work once in about thirty goes (predictably, when it was too late to use the aircraft as I had to be up for work this morning) but every other time has resulted in a sim crash. Has anyone else tried/experienced this?

I'm running FSX+Accel on W7 64 Home Premium. Other details available if needed.

Cheers,

Ian P.

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Re: Civilian P-51 GPS Direct To sim crash

Post by Molly - A2A »

I know this doesn't really help you much, but I just tried to see if mine crashed as well, but it works fine for me.

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

Could you test the default C172 / GPS?

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I tested and all fine here too, I flew Newcastle to Humberside last night all OK
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

It seems to work OK in every other aircraft I've tried, whether fitted with a default or "modified default" GPS.

I can work around it by filing a VFR direct-to flightplan through the planner, but it's a slightly irritating. Oh well. I keep telling the boss that I need a new computer... :mrgreen:

Ian P.

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

No problems here either. Any "direct-to" is accepted without problems.
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

So, apparently I lied... :oops:

I just loaded the C172 and opened the GPS to show my wife it working and... it crashed the sim.

I'm now going through and uninstalling about 8.2bn add-ons, so I can rebuild FSX. Copying and pasting the files supposedly affected hasn't worked, so after looking how much junk I actually have installed, it's definitely time for a cull and rebuild!

Grr. Sorry to waste peoples' time.

Ian P.

Charly329
Airman Basic

Post by Charly329 »

Hi,

I've had a similar problem, but with other payware.

I have 2 monitors and apparently when decoupling a panel and move it to another screen or change the size, I have the same problem reported, the cursor remains in the wait symbol (spinning circle).

I think it has to do with the graphic card, or the ability to handle modern cards by the FSX.
Carlos

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

No, it's definitely a problem between my PC/FS installation and the Civvy Mustang.

Uninstall the Civilian Mustang, the GPS works in the default aircraft.

Install the Civilian Mustang, using Direct To on the GPS in any aircraft crashes the sim.

Bizarre! :evil:

Ian P.

Nico081
Staff Sergeant

Post by Nico081 »

Ian,

it should be not the reason, because without P51D Civ installation your GPS seems to work. I have no expirience using P51 GPS, i implemented RXP and it works beautiful. Another reason for default GPS problems could be:

Do you have updated your default FSX Nav- database and MagVar files? There are some freeware updates aviable that can cause problems and CTDs using internal FSX Flightplanner:

http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html

In any case you should deactivate showing "high alt airways" and "victor airways" in FSX map display.
Written in product readme. In fsx.cfg [MAPVIEW_MAP] section i deactivated showing airways:

SHOW_VICTOR=0
SHOW_JET=0
P3D v3.2
Addons: FSG2010, REX4 Direct+Soft Clouds, Hifi ASN, PMDG, Dodosim, A2A accusim all, Katana4X, Majestic, ORBX, Fly Tampa, DRZEWIECKI DESIGN, FSDreamteam, Flight Beam,..,..

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

Nico081 wrote:Ian,

it should be not the reason, because without P51D Civ installation your GPS seems to work. I have no expirience using P51 GPS, i implemented RXP and it works beautiful. Another reason for default GPS problems could be:
Do you have updated your default FSX Nav- database and MagVar files? There are some freeware updates aviable that can cause problems and CTDs using internal FSX Flightplanner:
In any case you should deactivate showing "high alt airways" and "victor airways" in FSX map display.
Written in product readme. In fsx.cfg [MAPVIEW_MAP] section i deactivated showing airways:
SHOW_VICTOR=0
SHOW_JET=0
Well, as far as I know the Default GPS does not deal with any of the airway systems. It simply works on a Wayoint-to-Waypoint basis. I regularly update the default FSX dataset with the SORS files and do - apart from the FSX planner, which I do not use anyway - not encounter any problems.

The behaviour that Ian describes however is really puzzling me. It sounds more like a file conflict but to be honest - ATM I have no clue what the reason could be. I do strongly presume that the installation is ALWAYS made using the rightclick "install as admin" thus ruling out any priority conflict as well as having UAC OFF (Vista) or LOWEST (Win7).
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

Hi folks,

Progress... Although I know not why.

First of all, I haven't been able to do most of this for some time, because the last few days I've been uninstalling everything that would uninstall and deleting everything that wouldn't. Unfortunately that left me with an unworkable FSX, which turned out to be just one more little file that I hadn't deleted. FSX is now (apparently) stable again. At least it starts without crashing now!

Back onto this specific fault, it looks like it was something in fsx.cfg. I don't know what, but not a clash with another .dll because one of the first things I did was to delete all the trusted modules (most of which have now been uninstalled anyway) and when I ran FSX next, I selected "Don't Run" for all the modules other than A2A ones. Trying to use -D> still crashed the sim.

I re-deleted the Civilian Mustang, reinstalled it, same thing happened (W7, UAC off, yes to running as administrator), so I uninstalled the Mustang for about the eleventh time, but this time I renamed fsx.cfg and recreated it. Tested without the Mustang, it worked on the C172. Been here before, so not too hopeful.

Reinstalled *just* the Mustang, no Accu-Sim. It worked in both the C172 and Mustang.

Reinstalled Accu-Sim (but didn't install the Core update) - it worked on the C172, crashed the sim trying the same thing on the Mustang, but the kicker here is that after rebooting the PC and starting FSX, it now didn't work with the C172 either.

Figuring what the heck and I'm now going to have to reinstall all of FSX anyway, I installed the new Accu-Sim Core Update... I'm currently about thirty minutes out of KPDX on a GPS Direct To routed flight to KHLN.

Before anyone says that I just hadn't installed the Core Update properly, I installed it no differently this time to the previous numerous times. The only difference is the new fsx.cfg. I also cannot guarantee that the problem is fixed, because I'm flipping well finishing this flight before restarting again, after the fighting I've had with the sim over the last week! I'll report back later with what happens after the next reboot and once I start allowing external modules to run again.

Nevertheless... Sim stable, aircraft flying, GPS working. :shock: ...for now...

Cheers,

Ian P.

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

Ian,
thanks for the update :lol: . Nevertheless I'm still at loss when it comes to determining a possible bug in FSX.CFG. In any case it is always a good idea to delete all [trusted] items from time to time (as I do regularly). Installing and de-installing various add-ons unfortunately does not take care of most of these entries. According to an earlier query with MS double entires should not play any havoc but I nevertheless hate them and I'm not sure whether MS was sure about it either :wink:

I do hope something surfaces after your experiments which will be helpful to us all in similar situations. I still try to recreate this behaviour but haven't been successful to-date.
Oskar

Nico081
Staff Sergeant

Post by Nico081 »

lonewulf47 wrote:
Nico081 wrote:Ian,

SHOW_VICTOR=0
SHOW_JET=0
Well, as far as I know the Default GPS does not deal with any of the airway systems. It simply works on a Wayoint-to-Waypoint basis. I regularly update the default FSX dataset with the SORS files and do - apart from the FSX planner, which I do not use anyway - not encounter any problems.

The behaviour that Ian describes however is really puzzling me. It sounds more like a file conflict but to be honest - ATM I have no clue what the reason could be. I do strongly presume that the installation is ALWAYS made using the rightclick "install as admin" thus ruling out any priority conflict as well as having UAC OFF (Vista) or LOWEST (Win7).
You are right, Oskar. That possible updates do not deal with the default GPS. But it could be a reason when doing some things wrong while installation.

It does´t matter, it is not the reason of Ian´s problems.
P3D v3.2
Addons: FSG2010, REX4 Direct+Soft Clouds, Hifi ASN, PMDG, Dodosim, A2A accusim all, Katana4X, Majestic, ORBX, Fly Tampa, DRZEWIECKI DESIGN, FSDreamteam, Flight Beam,..,..

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

I've got no updated navdata or anything related to the GPS installed. In fact I have very little installed with now, after a rather large clean out!

It'll work once, after creating a new fsx.cfg, then refuse to work after that, which is seriously bizarre. However along with all the other bugs, glitches and problems I'm experiencing, I'm seriously considering applying a tactical nuclear delete key to the entire FSX directory.

Ian P.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”