Editing your sounds

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Musicman
Senior Airman

Editing your sounds

Post by Musicman »

I like to skin and I like to add my own taste to some sounds in the game. You seem to have this new way of packing your sounds up in a sounds.pk file. It's not the old traditional FSX way right in the aircraft folder. You have a bunch of sounds in the WOP3 P-51 aircraft folder that are not even being used and after looking at the sound.cfg half the sounds the plane has are not even listed in the cfg so I figured it all has to be in the sounds.pk file in Flight Simulator X\A2A\P51. (I removed it to see and had silence). :wink:
Basically would like to know how to get in there and edit and play. I have some real recordings of some cold hard startups I want to slip in there with some popping and sputter and maybe lower the volume on some things like the gear warning buzzer things like that. Add an external shutdown and so on.
At the moment I have nothing that can open it. Can you please tell me or is it a secret? :?

CharlieP51
Staff Sergeant

Re: Editing your sounds

Post by CharlieP51 »

'.pk' files can be opened with Cool Edit Pro 2 or 2.1 and/or Adobe Audition 3
Intel Core i7 at 4.2 Ghz w/H2O-16G HyperX RAM-Crucial M4 128G SSD (x2) FSX-SSD & Win7-SSD -GTX 690 5G DDR5-LG 32" HDMI 1920x1080

ImageImage
Image Image

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Be careful if you are going to try and change the sounds. The samples are all recoridngs and fed dynamically into the sound engine to create what you hear, so its far and away a million miles from the standard sound setup of FSX. Every pop, crack and engine rev is dynamically created/played accoding to whats happening within the sim.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Musicman
Senior Airman

Post by Musicman »

OK. So this is all new stuff. Not your old editing wavs. So it won't be like opening the pk file, edit some wavs and put it back in the pk file.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”