landing speed

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
guard2017a
Airman First Class

landing speed

Post by guard2017a »

I am sure Dudley can answer this. What is the proper RPM manifold pressure and speed for landing.Every time I try to land the plane bounces and the gear collapses. Also how much flap do i use on landing

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: landing speed

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Hi

Have a look in the pinned threads here, and you will find some posts like this: https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 93&t=32663
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

guard2017a wrote:I am sure Dudley can answer this. What is the proper RPM manifold pressure and speed for landing.Every time I try to land the plane bounces and the gear collapses. Also how much flap do i use on landing
Here's a link to one of my safety articles from World Airshow News on flying the Mustang. There are tips in there that you might find helpful.
Also, the manual provided with the A2A Mustang has a world of good information in it. I always recommend that everybody who has the A2A P51 read this manual and study it well. We modeled the flight model on our Mustang extremely closely to the real aircraft. There is a learning curve on this aircraft for sure. You need to be using the same technique to fly our Mustang that you would be using in the real airplane. It just takes time to get the hang of it. The good part is that in the sim you can screw up without killing yourself, read the manual to find out what you did wrong, then go try it again. :-)))))))))))

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8ZDKc ... sp=sharing

Dudley Henriques

Nachtflieger
Airman

Post by Nachtflieger »

This is right out of the checklist, verbatim from the original P-51D Flight Manual. Isn't that in your installation? This will work for FS9 and FSX versions, no idea about the Accusim but it should be indentical for all versions, since that's what's in the actual flight manual.

Landing
  • Check tanks and select the fullest tank for landing.
    Put the fuel booster on normal.
    Check the mixture control and set to RICH.
    Set the prop to about 2700 RPM.
    Check the traffic pattern and obtain clearance to land.
    Slow down to a sensible speed before peeling off.
    Slow down to 170 mph before lowering your landing gear. When the landing gear comes down, the airplane gets quite nose-heavy. However, you can easily adjust the trim tabs to take care of this. Don't forget that the gear takes 10-15 seconds to go down.
    The normal speed in the traffic pattern with wheels down is 150 mph IAS.
    Do not lower full flaps before 165 mph IAS. Remember, it takes 15 seconds to go from the full up position to the full down position. Allow plenty of time for this operation to make sure your flaps are down when you need them.
    After your flaps are down and you roll out of the turn onto the landing (approach) leg, your speed should be about 115-120 mph IAS. Don't keep so much power on that you'll be making a power approach. However, keep enough power on to keep your engine clean (about 20-25 inches of Hg on final at a descent rate of 500 fpm at 120 mph IAS at 9,000 lbs. aircraft wt.)
    Just before getting to the runway, break your glide, make a smooth roundout, and approach the runway in a 3-point attitude.
    Hold the plane off in the 3-point attitude just barely above the runway until you lose flying speed and the plane sets down. The P-51 doesn't mush but stalls rather suddenly when you lose flying speed. So have your plane close to the runway at this point.

Like this: https://vimeo.com/279992997

Nachtflieger
Airman

Post by Nachtflieger »

To take it to another level, I'd like to see some other members videos of their best landings. 8)

I see quite a lot of posts about members not being able to take off or land to the point sometimes where they're ready to give up.

First thing is to use a different aircraft if you want to learn to land with conventional gear. Try the Super Cub, put in a hundred hours of flying and get the thing down. Then move to a heavier plane, like the Avro Anson. Both those planes are worth the money.

Bottom line, flying a sim is actually much harder than flying the real thing since you can hardly see anything. Only thing is, you've got to have the nerve to fly a real plane since there is no "pause" button. But the skill in a sim is higher. Any good real-world pilot who works at it can solo in a P-51 after a fairly brief period of flight instruction. Doing it in the sim takes a lot longer.

The other burning question would be "Can it actually be done? Has anyone ever stuck a perfect landing in this bird?"

Seeing that it can actually be done, time and again, should be encouraging. There's nothing worse than never being able to land well and wanting to do it. Keep at it, you'll get there. :wink:

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Nachtflieger wrote:
Bottom line, flying a sim is actually much harder than flying the real thing since you can hardly see anything. Only thing is, you've got to have the nerve to fly a real plane since there is no "pause" button. But the skill in a sim is higher. Any good real-world pilot who works at it can solo in a P-51 after a fairly brief period of flight instruction. Doing it in the sim takes a lot longer.
Thank you for starting my day with laughter. :-)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Dudley Henriques

Nachtflieger
Airman

Post by Nachtflieger »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
Nachtflieger wrote:
Thank you for starting my day with laughter. :-)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Dudley Henriques
http://www.talkingproud.us/Retired/Reti ... -pilot.pdf

17 months from a non-pilot to flying high-performance fighters in combat is what it took for that pilot, and most others.

If you delete all of the combat training, instrument flying, and military procedures, an apt pilot can do it much more quickly.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Nachtflieger wrote:
DHenriquesA2A wrote:
Nachtflieger wrote:

Dudley Henriques
http://www.talkingproud.us/Retired/Reti ... -pilot.pdf

17 months from a non-pilot to flying high-performance fighters in combat is what it took for that pilot, and most others.

If you delete all of the combat training, instrument flying, and military procedures, an apt pilot can do it much more quickly.
I'll just say I disagree with most everything you are saying and let it go at that.

Dudley Henriques

Nachtflieger
Airman

Post by Nachtflieger »

As I said in the other thread , it's your company, your forum, your rules.

I was simply attempting to pass on something to a fellow customer that might have been of help, since he was not flying a real P-51D.

However, I respect your wishes and will refrain from posting on any issues regarding technique or performance from now on.

Nachtflieger
Airman

Post by Nachtflieger »

guard2017a wrote:I am sure Dudley can answer this. What is the proper RPM manifold pressure and speed for landing.Every time I try to land the plane bounces and the gear collapses. Also how much flap do i use on landing
To practice an approach (and this IS real-world technique), take your plane to about 5,000 feet AGL and set up an approach according to the manual. Trim it for that configuration. Practice it like that and ifyou foul up your "landing" you can just add gas, clean up the plane, and keep flying.

Again prop is at ~2700 RPM, flaps and gear down, throttle maintain about 120 mph (depends on weight). Rate of descent should be in the area of ~500 fpm. Get the feel of that configuration and how the plane handles and responds to power and trim changes.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Nachtflieger wrote:
To practice an approach (and this IS real-world technique), take your plane to about 5,000 feet AGL and set up an approach according to the manual. Trim it for that configuration. Practice it like that and ifyou foul up your "landing" you can just add gas, clean up the plane, and keep flying.

Again prop is at ~2700 RPM, flaps and gear down, throttle maintain about 120 mph (depends on weight). Rate of descent should be in the area of ~500 fpm. Get the feel of that configuration and how the plane handles and responds to power and trim changes.
This is NOT standard procedure for doing an approach in a P51 or any plane for that matter. We encourage our sim pilots to learn to fly our planes as they are flown in the real world. The correct approach for a Mustang is either an overhead off an initial or a circling approach. We have taken great pains to teach our sim pilots the correct method. We encourage them to continue doing that and if help is needed to seek competent answers here on our forums.
Please feel free to ask me about these matters before offering advice. I will be glad to help you.
Dudley Henriques

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Hey Nachtflieger, Dudley isn't a man to blow his own trumpet, so take a look at this http://www.migman.com/pax/Henriques/Henriques.php and THEN tell him how to fly a P51. Or any other aircraft for that matter!
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled"

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

Well said Ron.I totally agree with you.

Cheers Chris

Nachtflieger
Airman

Post by Nachtflieger »

Ron Attwood wrote:Hey Nachtflieger, Dudley isn't a man to blow his own trumpet, so take a look at this http://www.migman.com/pax/Henriques/Henriques.php and THEN tell him how to fly a P51. Or any other aircraft for that matter!
I have been familiar with Mr. Henriques and his accomplishments for many years. Please don't assume everyone new forum member just fell off the turnip truck.

Since you've joined the fray, did you actually watch the takeoff/pattern/landing video I posted? (No, the flight model was not set to EASY, it was not rigged or some kind of cheat.)

THAT was what the OP was trying to learn how to do. At least give me credit for the skill to do it.

Let's all get past the BS and back to flying, or at least simulated flying.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Nachtflieger wrote:
Ron Attwood wrote:Hey Nachtflieger, Dudley isn't a man to blow his own trumpet, so take a look at this http://www.migman.com/pax/Henriques/Henriques.php and THEN tell him how to fly a P51. Or any other aircraft for that matter!
I have been familiar with Mr. Henriques and his accomplishments for many years. Please don't assume everyone new forum member just fell off the turnip truck.

Since you've joined the fray, did you actually watch the takeoff/pattern/landing video I posted? (No, the flight model was not set to EASY, it was not rigged or some kind of cheat.)

THAT was what the OP was trying to learn how to do. At least give me credit for the skill to do it.

Let's all get past the BS and back to flying, or at least simulated flying.
I watched the video. Did it actually have narration or am I correct that what I saw contained only video? If no voice track the film was missing the ingredient of any audio/visual teaching tool that makes the tool effective. What I saw had no teaching value at all.
Was there a voice track that I just couldn't hear on my system perhaps? If not the film is totally useless.
What I saw and heard was simply a video of a P51 (with sound but no narration) taking off then landing; no instruction; no why this or why that. This type of film teaches nothing let alone addresses the questions posed by the original poster.
You asked if anyone had taken the time to watch the video. Well I did and the above is what I learned from watching it.
Again, may I offer you the suggestion that you ASK questions here before assuming to "instruct" the community on what you perceive as the right way to do things.
We appreciate all our forum members contributing information. All we ask is that the contributed information be accurate.
As I said in another thread, I will intercede on these issues where I deem it necessary and pertinent to do so. Be advised along these lines that were your information accurate it is my policy NOT to intervene and in fact encourage those who submit information to continue to do so.
It is my hope that you will eventually meet this criteria. If and when that happens your information will be most welcome.
Dudley Henriques

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”