why does left wing always drop on take off

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
guard2017a
Airman First Class

Post by guard2017a »

Ok I know I am being a pain here but why does the left wing always drop as I try to takeoff. As i get to speed the wing drops and veers to the left. I tried right aileron and and it keeps going over left.

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: why does left wing always drop on take off

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Have a look at this, and keep practicing, I’ll concur with the other guys. The P-51 is a beast on take off, but when you get it right you never stop smiling

https://youtu.be/gzxt2SzOsAY
https://youtu.be/QGWbjGqmoWo

By the way....I’m just an armchair pilot, but I do have 290ish hours on the A2A P-51D Civ :D
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Usually a large reason the left wing drops is pulling the aircraft too soon off the ground, but the airplane does seem to exhibit a slight drop probably associated with p-factor (Dudley can chime in here, as he used to fly these birds regularly). Either way, even with good speed, I tend to put touch of right stick in during takeoff. Just be aware, stalling at this speed is extremely dangerous. There’s nothing worse than high power and low speed in a Mustang, so watch your speed and how hard you’re pulling. She can roll right the hell on her back if you’re jockeying her around too much.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

guard2017a wrote:Ok I know I am being a pain here but why does the left wing always drop as I try to takeoff. As i get to speed the wing drops and veers to the left. I tried right aileron and and it keeps going over left.
That almost perfectly describes taking off at too low of an airspeed. Or beginning to rotate off just at or a bit above the airspeed where she will fly and then pulling back a bit too aggressively on the yoke. I’m referring specifically to your description of it continuing to go left.

This kind of behavior I find if I try to rush the takeoff from a particularly short field. It means (to me) you are just hanging on the edge of a stall.

Edit: I think Cody and I are on the same thought. :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I forgot to add this: dial in some right rudder trim (lower left) to help counter the strong pull on takeoff, then reduce it back to neutral ( or whatever you think feels correct) as you reduce power. I put in about 5 units.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

guard2017a
Airman First Class

Post by guard2017a »

Thank you all for your input I am taking it all in. Just one question what is the normal take off speed the manual does not say just asking

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

guard2017a wrote:Thank you all for your input I am taking it all in. Just one question what is the normal take off speed the manual does not say just asking
The actual speed at which the Mustang will leave the ground will vary according to gross weight and other factors.
Naturally you don't want to rotate the aircraft off the runway below stall speed so as a general guide I'd say use 95 to 110mph as a minimum speed for rotation.
The best technique is to let the tail come up naturally (don't horse it up) then look for your minimum rotation speed as you allow the aircraft to accelerate.
The worst thing you can do in a 51 is to rotate it off the ground early. If in doubt, err to the fast side until you feel comfortable.
Finally, after you do feel comfortable, just allow the Mustang to continue the takeoff run with the stick fairly neutral. Don't fly it off and don't hold it down. When the lift equals whatever the gross weight is on the takeoff the plane will rotate naturally off the ground.
Practice on long runways until you get the hang of all this.
Dudley Henriques

guard2017a
Airman First Class

Post by guard2017a »

Thanks Dudley you are a great help thank you

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

I always enjoy Dudleys input 8) . Thanks Sir.

My normal configuration in the Mustang is 200# pilot, wing tanks full, fuselage tank installed but empty. Prior to the core update early last year I was rotating at 100+- but after the update I found that 110 is a bare minimum. I now rotate at 115-120. As Dudley states, just let her roll a little longer until she's ready to fly. Then use caution on the stick until she feels stable and you are clean before starting your climb.

All the challenges of mastering the Mustang will make your flights even more enjoyable down the road. It's a feeling of accomplishment that does not subside. I'm well over 600 hours in her and she reminds me to fly her by the book every now and again.

One of my favorite videos of the Mustang is from FlightChops. The good Dr. has some great personal impressions of the Mustang that you will find true in the A2A model.

"It's usually right rudder.... until it's not" :D :lol:
I'm curious to get Dudley's impression of this video and the Drs. opinions.

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”