can not fly this plane

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
Nachtflieger
Airman

Re: can not fly this plane

Post by Nachtflieger »

guard2017a wrote:I am done with this plane no matter what I do after everything I read and watched it still will not fly always crashes. Spent more time in maintenance hangar with this plane being repaired then any other plane I have flown.As I said a waste of almost 60.00 which is too bad love the plane
This is to my main point about not looking at any gauges once the takeoff roll starts. It's a simulation, focus on what you can't do right now. The plane is not going to have a catastrophic failure.

Even in real life if you've checked all the gauges during the runup there is very little likelihood of a failure on the takeoff roll, so looking at the oil pressure, etcetera is more likely to cause you to crash the plane than warn you of impending doom. And at that point you can't do much about it anyway except declare an emergency and try to put the plane on the ground in one piece, no?

This is a great video of a P-51D engine failure and off-field landing with an analysis afterward which I believe illustrates why one should keep his wits and nerve, and mostly keep his head out of the cockpit.

Try the Aircraft Factory version of this plane, or the WWII Fighters/Wings of Power II version. It won't blow up or stop running and need to go back to the maintenance hangar. I understand the Accu-sim version is sort of a simulation of wearing all the hats, all the time: crew chief, mechanic, co-pilot, and so on, but if it took that much effort in the real world for the pilot (all by him or herself) to get off the ground we'd never have gotten into the air in the first place, and no one would be flying except for maybe kites.

Concentrate on learning to "fly" in the simulator and remove all the distractions of overheating and failures. Later on you can replace the supercharger and change the oil.

Personally I would just pay a competent A&P to do that and expect the airplane to work properly! :wink:

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Nachtflieger wrote:

Then again we are talking gaming for the most part where discipline is not so keen.
What you are saying here is exactly the antithesis of what we have accomplished here at A2A. We do NOT look at or design our aircraft to be used primarily as a "game". If that were the case we could punch our planes out at a much faster clip and not put nearly the work we do into them.
It's true there will be those who unfortunately will use our planes as a game, but weaning people away from that mindset is one of our prime goals here. Bringing our sim pilots up to speed to "fly" an A2A plane is why we spend so much time and effort supplying them with factual and correct information.
When we answer a question posed here on the forums we take great care to insure that the answer could also be applied to real world aviation.

Dudley Henriques

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Nachtflieger wrote:
Even in real life if you've checked all the gauges during the runup there is very little likelihood of a failure on the takeoff roll, so looking at the oil pressure, etcetera is more likely to cause you to crash the plane than warn you of impending doom.
This is simply not correct. In fact, it is on the takeoff roll after power has been applied that constitutes the EXACT place where an engine failure can and often has occurred. It is this exact place on the runway where lies the most danger and this is why as instructors and check pilots we place such huge emphasis on HOW to check the engine instruments ON THE TAKE OFF ROLL.
I will quote from my good friend and Thunderbird Lead Chris Patterakis when I tell you, "We as pilots do NOT live and operate in a single cue world." In other words we have to multi-task when flying and checking engine instruments on the takeoff roll does NOT mean we have to crash the aircraft.
As pilots we must learn early on that the takeoff roll is a high danger area demanding from us the ability to use MULTIPLE VISUAL CUES to insure the aircraft is ready for flight. We have only a short time after power has been applied to make note of how the engine is performing and make the decision to continue or abort. Contrary to what you have incorrectly said, checking the engine gauges during the takeoff is not only necessary. It is CRITICAL!
Now this doesn't mean staring at the gauges. The method to accomplish this I have stated in a prior post so I won't rehash it here.
I will also note here that the same physics that could blow your engine on takeoff in real life has been programmed carefully into our A2A Accusim engine, so if you are thinking the sim is an easy "game" to be played, think again. A2A planes are serious business designed for the serious simmer. Your implication that what we're dealing with here is simply a "game" is also incorrect.
As for trying a simpler aircraft before taking on the P51, I have no objection to doing that but it by no means necessary. This is possible because of the sim's capability to recover a bad flight and start over again. So if flying the Mustang is your thing, by all means go for it. If you have trouble we are here to help.
I'm sorry to have to be in such disagreement with your advice but I owe it to our simmers to insure that only factual information is presented here. I hope we can survive this little exchange and perhaps start over again. I'm not here to make people unhappy.
Thank you for your consideration.
Dudley Henriques

Nachtflieger
Airman

Post by Nachtflieger »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
Nachtflieger wrote:
Even in real life if you've checked all the gauges during the runup there is very little likelihood of a failure on the takeoff roll, so looking at the oil pressure, etcetera is more likely to cause you to crash the plane than warn you of impending doom.
I will also note here that the same physics that could blow your engine on takeoff in real life has been programmed carefully into our A2A Accusim engine, so if you are thinking the sim is an easy "game" to be played, think again. A2A planes are serious business designed for the serious simmer. Your implication that what we're dealing with here is simply a "game" is also incorrect.

Dudley Henriques
When a student pilot gets into a plane for his/her first flight, they don't expect the engine to blow up, and they have faith the instructor will be able to get them down in one piece if it does.

My response was to the original poster who was so frustrated he was going to quit. So to him only, I was saying, forget about everything but looking outside and controlling the virtual aircraft.

I also suggested starting with something like a SuperCub, like you would in real life. We start every new endeavour with "baby steps" so if a gamer wants to buy a nice P-51D aircraft (like the A2A) and try to "fly" it he or she is going to have real problems.

What I'm saying is, let's cut down on the guy's problems.
  • To clarify what I was suggesting to the flight simmer/computer gaming community:

Set your sim options all to EASY for the flight model.

Set crashes and damage to OFF.

Calibrate your controllers properly and use good equipment.

Use a full set of controls including good rudder pedals.

Keep your head out of the virtual cockpit. Your engine is not going to fail in the sim so you can concentrate on learning to "fly" the plane.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Nachtflieger wrote:
DHenriquesA2A wrote:
Nachtflieger wrote:

Dudley Henriques
When a student pilot gets into a plane for his/her first flight, they don't expect the engine to blow up, and they have faith the instructor will be able to get them down in one piece if it does.

My response was to the original poster who was so frustrated he was going to quit. So to him only, I was saying, forget about everything but looking outside and controlling the virtual aircraft.

I also suggested starting with something like a SuperCub, like you would in real life. We start every new endeavour with "baby steps" so if a gamer wants to buy a nice P-51D aircraft (like the A2A) and try to "fly" it he or she is going to have real problems.

What I'm saying is, let's cut down on the guy's problems.
  • To clarify what I was suggesting to the flight simmer/computer gaming community:

Set your sim options all to EASY for the flight model.

Set crashes and damage to OFF.

Calibrate your controllers properly and use good equipment.

Use a full set of controls including good rudder pedals.

Keep your head out of the virtual cockpit. Your engine is not going to fail in the sim so you can concentrate on learning to "fly" the plane.
I'm sorry, but you and I will just have to agree to disagree on these matters and how to present them.
Dudley Henriques

Dudley Henriques

Nachtflieger
Airman

Post by Nachtflieger »

No reason to be sorry.

It's your company, your forum, your rules.

I respect that and will refrain from posting on any issues regarding technique or performance from now on.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Nachtflieger wrote:No reason to be sorry.

I respect that and will refrain from posting on any issues regarding technique or performance from now on.
Or: You are totally wrong but I'll let you get on with it. Your loss.
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled"

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Well, the problem(and one of the reasons why I’m here) is that the engine could fail on takeoff. :D
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Sorry you feel this way. I would suggest however that you rethink this and instead realize that as a student pilot re-entering aviation arriving on a new forum frequented with many highly experienced pilots that instead of coming on like gang busters informing and correcting, you instead ASK a few questions.
You do that and you are more than welcome here. You will be told when you are right and informed if you are wrong.
I hope you decide to stay. Just get rid of some of the attitude and all will be well.
Thank you
Dudley Henriques

Nachtflieger
Airman

Post by Nachtflieger »

http://www.migman.com/pax/Henriques/Henriques.php

I just found this. I don't see where we disagree at all, unless you didn't write those things. I think it was a personality conflict, the "gangbusters" thing.

No disagreement at all here, in fact I just made a suggestion very similar to one of things you suggested, take it up to high altitude, trim it up at 15" a 3000 RPM, and practice...I didn't suggest the full 61" of boost but, hey, why not?

No, we are completely on the same page here.

Nachtflieger
Airman

Post by Nachtflieger »

Ron Attwood wrote:

Or: You are totally wrong but I'll let you get on with it. Your loss.
You wouldn't be trying to stir the pot, now, would you? :wink:

Put yer damn popcorn away, Mr. Henriques and I are man enough to shake on it and move forward. We got off on the wrong foot, nothing more.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Nachtflieger wrote:http://www.migman.com/pax/Henriques/Henriques.php

I just found this. I don't see where we disagree at all, unless you didn't write those things. I think it was a personality conflict, the "gangbusters" thing.

No disagreement at all here, in fact I just made a suggestion very similar to one of things you suggested, take it up to high altitude, trim it up at 15" a 3000 RPM, and practice...I didn't suggest the full 61" of boost but, hey, why not?

First of all, "trimming up" a P51 at 15 inches has the prop driving the engine. Not good and I would never suggest doing that more or less believe it a good idea either with our A2A Mustang or for pilots who I advise who own real Mustangs. Virtually NOTHING of what you have posted since arriving here on our forums a few days ago is what I would suggest and I can assure you that you and I are not on the same page on much of anything.

Now this having been said, I have no desire to have this constant interaction with you on this issue. If you ever decide to ASK me a question instead of TELL me something please feel free to do so. Until that time please don't assume that you and I are "on any page" together.
Dudley Henriques

Nachtflieger
Airman

Post by Nachtflieger »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:

First of all, "trimming up" a P51 at 15 inches has the prop driving the engine. Not good and I would never suggest doing that more or less believe it a good idea either with our A2A Mustang or for pilots who I advise who own real Mustangs. Virtually NOTHING of what you have posted since arriving here on our forums a few days ago is what I would suggest and I can assure you that you and I are not on the same page on much of anything.

Now this having been said, I have no desire to have this constant interaction with you on this issue. If you ever decide to ASK me a question instead of TELL me something please feel free to do so. Until that time please don't assume that you and I are "on any page" together.
Dudley Henriques
Your forum, your rules. Done.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Nachtflieger wrote:
DHenriquesA2A wrote:

Dudley Henriques
Your forum, your rules. Done.
I sincerely hope this is done !
I will however, whenever I see incorrect information given here on our forums, continue to correct that information. I'll attempt to keep things civil and friendly as that is our policy here at A2A. It is my hope that if this becomes necessary, the response atmosphere will remain civil.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Dudley Henriques

Pinepix
Airman

Post by Pinepix »

Interesting read. I just installed the P51 (Civilian) in P3D V4.3 and was very surprised when I tried my first takeoff as I almost immediately crashed. I have both the T6 and Spitfire and fly them both regularly but the P51 really surprised me. After making sure my trim settings are correct and taking much more care I finally managed to take of, fly and land a couple of times.

I will apply the information I learned here for the new challenge of learning to fly the P51 from scratch.
Johan Pienaar

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”