can not fly this plane

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
guard2017a
Airman First Class

can not fly this plane

Post by guard2017a »

What a waste of money to buy this plane. Whatever I do and try I can not get the plane to fly. I followed the manual put in all the proper trims. But on take off as i gradually add power to the reccomended 3000 rpm it veers to the left even with full rudder lifts stalls crashes. And taxi even with no throttle it taxis at almost 35 mph. So like I said what a waste of money love the plane hate the flight characteristics.

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Re: can not fly this plane

Post by gulredrel »

Definitely one of the most rewarding planes, once mastered.

So let's start some things to help. Make sure you installed the latest patches, running the updater.
There were some rudder issues reported.
Make sure settings are okay too, so no auto rudder activated.

First flights are best without any wind. So default weather should be the key.
Rear tank empty! This one makes it really hard to control, so nothing to start with.
Choose an airport with a really long runway and try to make some fast ground runs. Add throttle to max 30", stick back to lock the tailwheel and try to roll in a straight line using rudder to counter the torque. After that, add more power to accelerate to takeoff speed.

Much more here in takeoff tutorial: http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 94&t=31684
or flying tips thread: https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 93&t=32663

Regards and don't give up.
Jens
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

guard2017a
Airman First Class

Post by guard2017a »

I am done with this plane no matter what I do after everything I read and watched it still will not fly always crashes. Spent more time in maintenance hangar with this plane being repaired then any other plane I have flown.As I said a waste of almost 60.00 which is too bad love the plane

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

EDIT: Ignore this. You seemed to have made up your mind.
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled"

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

Took me awhile to get the hang of this very powerful machine but I read all the tips here and practiced until I got the hang of it. Practice and understanding make perfect. :D

I don't mean to make this sound insulting but my Dad always said, "Giving up is for losers".
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

If you’re chasing with rudder on takeoff, you’ve already failed. You have to be ahead of the aircraft. Also, if you’re light, you don’t need to run to full military power for takeoff.

But then again, I’m not sure you came here to learn. If you practice, though, you can tame her. She’s not called a mustang for nothing.
ImageImage
ImageImage

guard2017a
Airman First Class

Post by guard2017a »

thanks everyone I am going to keep on trying to tame her I was just frustrated thank you all

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Stick with it mate. There are usually 1-3 posts per year along this very theme.
There are plenty of posts here about getting newbies up and running but the link below has a video which I think best demonstrates the time needed to get off the ground successfully.
Pick a very long, wide runway (10000ft+), forget about lifting off initally, concentrate on staying in the centre and slowly accelerating as per the video. Only when you are at liftoff speed should you then think about the flying part of the takeoff, and you will need right aileron pressure prior to 'eeeezing' off. Time and time again the difficulties stem from trying to get the aircraft off the ground too early and being unable to counteract the torque roll. Once off the ground, stay low to build speed and then you are free to fly. :)
When you come to understand what is happening you can steadily become more aggressive which will shorten the takeoff roll, but stay within your capabilities.
Make sure there is no fuel in the fuselage tank. Half full wing tanks will be fine. I find full wing tanks give the plane more weight and steadies the skittishness a bit.
There is plenty of help among the members here, but take notice in particular to Dudley Hendriques, the resident expert.

This takeoff was performed intentionally slow to prove to beginners it can be done.
https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 93&t=58376
Cheers
Trev

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

:D

guard2017a
Airman First Class

Post by guard2017a »

I finally thinking I am getting it done 2 flights so far take off to landing.Still abit rough thanks everyone for their advice

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

guard2017a wrote:I finally thinking I am getting it done 2 flights so far take off to landing.Still abit rough thanks everyone for their advice
Just remember, the "key" to the takeoff in a high performance prop fighter is power control. You mentally and physically "link" your throttle hand to the rudder pedals. You apply power slowly and smoothly anticipating some yaw. You correct gently. WATCH THE NOSE! ANY tendency to swing away from center requires immediate smooth action on the rudder.
Now here's a tip from the real world. It's something I've told every pilot I've ever checked out in these airplanes. It holds true in the sim as well.
About how to treat monitoring the panel on takeoff;
In a high performance airplane like a prop fighter how you "look at the instrument panel on takeoff is very important. There's a technique involved to do it right. Do it wrong and it takes your sight cues away from the nose and THAT can spell trouble quickly.
Here's how to handle the panel.
The instruments you want to check during the takeoff run are as follows;
Manifold pressure
The T Gauge for oil pressure, temp, and fuel pressure.
Airspeed
(Note I omit coolant temp and RPM. Radiators are in AUTO and prop is already in low pitch/high RPM.)

As you start the run and advance the throttle, don't try and read the engine gauges. GLANCE at them to verify all in the green then right back on the nose!

Power is tied to the MP gauge. YOU are increasing power. You advance the throttle slowly and carefully then at some intermediate point........with practice you will use sound........you GLANCE at the MP gauge. Take a mental snap shot of what it reads.......then back on the nose. Let's say you are using 100LL and want 55 inches on takeoff. Your "glance" at the MP gauge tells you the power is advancing through 43 inches. You do NOT make power adjustments up or down while looking at the MP gauge. You look at the gauge..........look back at the nose.............then make the adjustment while looking at the nose ! THEN you glance again at the gauge, repeating this process until you have the power at 55 inches. THIS is how you read the gauges on takeoff in these airplanes.
Takes a bit of practice but you'll get it. Once you get it it's automatic and you'll begin to read instruments this way all the time. You fly the airplane.........look at the instrument..........fly the airplane/adjust to where you want the instrument to read..........recheck the instrument..........fine tune the adjustment/fly the airplane.

Airspeed is read the same way...........at a glance.
NEVER focus on the panel.
Dudley Henriques

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

guard2017a wrote:I finally thinking I am getting it done 2 flights so far take off to landing.Still abit rough thanks everyone for their advice
That's the spirit, best of luck and skill to you sir. 8)
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

Nachtflieger
Airman

Post by Nachtflieger »

That video shows it can be done, if I may be so bold, though, that's a very cautious takeoff.

Also keep in mind no real-world pilot is going to be looking at any gauges during the takeoff roll except airspeed. There is no time for that with a 1700 HP taildragger. Throttle is all done by feel and sound. You take any time to glance and the plane is going somewhere other than where you want it to go. Head must be OUT of the cockpit. Even the ASI is not needed, one can "feel" when the plane is ready to fly, especially after the tail lifts.

The plane can be flown off the runway at very low power settings if you have enough runway to start with. 30" or less will do it, you'll just have a really long takeoff roll as in the previous video.

The video shown here is a typical pattern, takeoff, crosswind, downwind, base, final. Speeds aren't shown but reached about 250 knots on downwind (got to stay legal and all that). Power was cut well back at the end of downwind, then nose-up to lose airspeed, a fairly steep turn to base (less than 2G load factor), roll out, first notch of flaps, another moderately hard turn to final whilst extending the gear and bringing in the rest of the flaps, and getting speed stabilized.

"Over the fence" was 125 mph IAS, touchdown at 80 mph IAS. The plane was light, no payloads but the pilot and oil tank and center fuel tank full. Be sure to delete all that weight for practice.

I recommend dirt or grass runways for practice, they are more forgiving of errors.

I flew this exact pattern as real-world co-pilot in an RV-7 recently; 170 mph on downwind, very hard 85-degree bank to final pulling about 2.5 G. That's how it should be done in a high-performance plane.

https://vimeo.com/279992997

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Nachtflieger wrote: Also keep in mind no real-world pilot is going to be looking at any gauges during the takeoff roll except airspeed. There is no time for that with a 1700 HP taildragger.
I hope you don't mind if I differ a bit on this; LOL

Dudley Henriques

Nachtflieger
Airman

Post by Nachtflieger »

I believe you said "glance" and explained it quite well. Point being we've got almost all flight simmers/gamers here trying to manage a difficult flight model and task; I am saying, start small with your Super Cub (a great plane!) and work up to the Mustang, perfecting your "scan" along the way.

Still do not understand why many do not find this information in the manual included with the aircraft and insist on starting in an open-class aircraft, and then wonder why they cannot take off or land.

Then again we are talking gaming for the most part where discipline is not so keen. Maybe no one's actually viewed that video I posted, but it took me years of practice in the sim to be able to do that as well as a fair amount of time in real aircraft.

Still waiting for all the other vids to come pouring in... :wink:

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”