P-51 Mustang Radios Not Working

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
BigT-65
Senior Airman

P-51 Mustang Radios Not Working

Post by BigT-65 »

My radio is turned on and tuned in but is not sending or receiving. The Send/Receive switch is on. The audio switch is on. This happens every once in a while and I can't figure out why. Just a while ago it was working, now it's not. Am I missing something?
i7 8700K CPU @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 3000 memory, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 MB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra GPU 8GB GDDR6 Memory, MasterAir MA610P CPU cooler, 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 3 Asus 24" monitors, Saitek X56 H.O.T.A.S.

BigT-65
Senior Airman

Re: P-51 Mustang Radios Not Working

Post by BigT-65 »

Well, the radio started working again. This doesn't happen very often but I have never been able to pin point the cause. While the radio was out I tried A couple of other A2A airplanes and the radio worked in them. The only one I ever have trouble with is the Mustang. The military version. Apparently this is not a problem that anyone else has since I got 38 views and no replies. I guess when it happens again I will just fly something else for a few days and hope that it fixes itself.
i7 8700K CPU @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 3000 memory, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 MB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra GPU 8GB GDDR6 Memory, MasterAir MA610P CPU cooler, 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 3 Asus 24" monitors, Saitek X56 H.O.T.A.S.

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

Hi BigT,

Sorry we can't be much help, I basically never use the radios when I fly the P-51D military. I stick to uncontrolled fields, and don't really use default ATC anyways.
If I can venture to guess, this has to do with the global "avionics master" switch setting. If the previous aircraft had the avionics switch off, then the sim may assume this is still the case when you switch to the Mustang = your radios are INOP. Since the Mustang has no avionics master switch, you have no way to resupply power to the radios, even when the VC switch is set correctly.

Just a theory, but it's a frequent "sim-ism" for aircraft to respond to switches which they don't have installed.

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

For example,

If I am flying an aircraft which has 2 wing fuel tanks, I will sometimes find that the aircraft is drawing fuel from only the left fuel tank. I will try all of the cockpit controls to solve the problem, but be unable to draw any fuel from the right fuel tank.
When I switch back to the default C-172, I will find that the fuel selector is set to LEFT. If I switch the Cessna fuel selector to both, my addon aircraft's fuel system will function normally.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

yes Flapman is correct, its one of many reasons why many developers, esp those of the more complex simulations always advise a default aircraft for your default flight as its often those particular flights that can cause some load issues in situations flapman mentions.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

BigT-65
Senior Airman

Post by BigT-65 »

Except for the test flight to see if the radio was working in the Comanche 250 I have been flying the Mustang exclusively for a couple of months now, working on regaining my skills with it. Maybe when I switched to the Comanche and the radio was working it did have an affect on the radio in the Mustang when I went back to it. Like you suggested. The next time the radio goes out in the Mustang (if it does) I will try switching airplanes again to one that has a master avionics switch like the Comanche and see if it solves the problem again. If it does I will report back here.
Thanks for the info.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

When starting the sim, make sure you do not use a saved flight. The default flight should be the one that came with the simulator (trike at Friday Harbor) for FSX.

This will ensure that all variables are properly initialized and the add-on aircraft is able to work correctly. Loading any saved flight will bring in non standard settings that will carry over to any aircraft you subsequently swap to.

You can sometimes get away with it for a while, but eventually strange symptoms begin to manifest and they will make you pull your hair out unless you follow this procedure to not use saved flights.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

BigT-65
Senior Airman

Post by BigT-65 »

Oracle427 wrote:When starting the sim, make sure you do not use a saved flight. The default flight should be the one that came with the simulator (trike at Friday Harbor) for FSX.

This will ensure that all variables are properly initialized and the add-on aircraft is able to work correctly. Loading any saved flight will bring in non standard settings that will carry over to any aircraft you subsequently swap to.

You can sometimes get away with it for a while, but eventually strange symptoms begin to manifest and they will make you pull your hair out unless you follow this procedure to not use saved flights.
Makes since to me. I am guilty of always making the plane I am currently into the default flight. I am going to do as you suggest and make the Trike the default and keep it that way.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

That alone may not be sufficient to fix the issue. If you start from a problematic saved flight and change to the trike, the problems will still get saved in there. It's a limitation of the sim engine.

You may have to manually delete the default flight file from the file system to force the simulator to recreate the default flight.

See of it helps and if not, I'll go dig up the directory with the files.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”