My first Mustang Night Flight - She's flying like a dream!

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

My first Mustang Night Flight - She's flying like a dream!

Post by sloppysmusic »

skip to 5:00 for take off.

My 'flattest' take off yet. It's always safe and easy to fly this plane (when done by the book!) and a joy to handle (although Im not anywhere confident or skilled enough yet to start doing advanced maneuvers). My next goal is more precision staying on the center line. Some great guides on here, thanks y'all! Once you get the 'feel' of takeoff with correct fuel load/trims she's reliable as anything in the sim for a perfect take off.
Excuse the lower quality than usual, it was pitch black out the whole time which would have made for a pretty boring video! So I boosted the gain considerably during editing to make it watchable.
The take off was VERY exciting in the dark of night! All I could see was the sky and the runway edge markings to my left and right.
As stated before by pretty well everyone , this is THE GA VFR cross-country plane. This flight would have been suicidal without the modern instruments!

https://youtu.be/7dXOAKMUqMc

Plane is very intuitive on the ground too. Startup/shutdown from memory is 'almost' ingrained in my head. Please ignore my booboo not turning Fuel Shut Off Valve to OFF on shutdown. Was that the only mistake? I would welcome corrections/tips/suggestions/requests (friendly ones lol) and anything that would make this plane even MORE of a joy to fly. T6 is getting jealous, she will be starring in her own video next I think.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: My first Mustang Night Flight - She's flying like a drea

Post by DHenriques_ »

sloppysmusic wrote:skip to 5:00 for take off.

My 'flattest' take off yet. It's always safe and easy to fly this plane (when done by the book!) and a joy to handle (although Im not anywhere confident or skilled enough yet to start doing advanced maneuvers). My next goal is more precision staying on the center line. Some great guides on here, thanks y'all! Once you get the 'feel' of takeoff with correct fuel load/trims she's reliable as anything in the sim for a perfect take off.
Excuse the lower quality than usual, it was pitch black out the whole time which would have made for a pretty boring video! So I boosted the gain considerably during editing to make it watchable.
The take off was VERY exciting in the dark of night! All I could see was the sky and the runway edge markings to my left and right.
As stated before by pretty well everyone , this is THE GA VFR cross-country plane. This flight would have been suicidal without the modern instruments!

https://youtu.be/7dXOAKMUqMc

Plane is very intuitive on the ground too. Startup/shutdown from memory is 'almost' ingrained in my head. Please ignore my booboo not turning Fuel Shut Off Valve to OFF on shutdown. Was that the only mistake? I would welcome corrections/tips/suggestions/requests (friendly ones lol) and anything that would make this plane even MORE of a joy to fly. T6 is getting jealous, she will be starring in her own video next I think.
I'm very happy to see things have worked out for you and that all is going well with our P51.
Dudley Henriques

sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

Post by sloppysmusic »

"I'm very happy to see things have worked out for you and that all is going well with our P51."

Me too Dudley! Printed out your take off guide and it is plainly obvious especially during the middle 'speed gain' part of that take off I had committed much of it to memory.
I'm back on target for owning ALL the AccuSim planes within a couple years. My birthday and Xmas gift lists are already written :D

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

sloppysmusic wrote:"I'm very happy to see things have worked out for you and that all is going well with our P51."

Me too Dudley! Printed out your take off guide and it is plainly obvious especially during the middle 'speed gain' part of that take off I had committed much of it to memory.
I'm back on target for owning ALL the AccuSim planes within a couple years. My birthday and Xmas gift lists are already written :D
Night takeoffs in the Mustang are " interesting" to say the least. LOL
Watched your video. All looked good to me. A bit more work on your flow pattern during your start.

The one thing we didn't program into the Mustang for night flying is the almost blinding light coming off the exhaust stacks on a night takeoff. Perhaps we can retrofit that into an update down the line.
The stacks are just about in line with your head. It's quite blinding in the real Mustang until you get used to looking just outside the light where you can see the edges of the runway.
Dudley Henriques

sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

Post by sloppysmusic »

" the almost blinding light coming off the exhaust stacks on a night takeoff. Perhaps we can retrofit that into an update down the line. "

THAT would be something to behold. I'm trying to imagine how good it would look rendered by a good GPU with all the modern razzmatazz effects....then played back in slow mo as a commercial..

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

sloppysmusic wrote:" the almost blinding light coming off the exhaust stacks on a night takeoff. Perhaps we can retrofit that into an update down the line. "

THAT would be something to behold. I'm trying to imagine how good it would look rendered by a good GPU with all the modern razzmatazz effects....then played back in slow mo as a commercial..
Effects like this one come under the heading of coding resources. When you design a plane as complex as ours the problem is always figuring out just how deep into effects we can go without sacrificing performance for the average consumer. Naturally we want everyone to enjoy the finished product yet not everyone has a high end computer. We balance out the product with that in mind.
This gets really hairy when you factor in all the "goody stuff" people like to have to enhance the overall effect of their flight simulation experience. A lot of people think it's only about the plane when it comes to frame rate, video and sound but the equation goes much deeper. The more you put into your sim the harder it is on the plane.
Fortunately our team are experts on getting the most out the code they put into our planes.
Special effects like the exhaust effect falls into a category where it gets suggested and looked at for performance hit. If it passes muster we try and do it. If it falls into the range where it might hurt someone's sim experience we pass on it.
Hopefully we'll look at this effect one of these days and see what happens.
DH

sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

Post by sloppysmusic »

"We balance out the product with that in mind."

I can see that. I get good frames for sure. I notice the configurator for the planes has GPS/Landing light options (the enhanced ones).
For sure any upgrade retrofit would probably need to be turned on manually by the user in such an option app. I notice the plane has been out a while now and a lot
of people who purchased it originally may still be running it on older hardware. I can definitely see the risk inherent in tinkering with a product that has such acclaim and runs well
on everyone's system. If you ever need a guinea pig let me know, in the meantime i may quite possibly be putting out an A2A/OrbX flight video every day. I planned an Orbx/A2A World Tour very soon. I dont want to flood your forums though! Will probably share a playlist on one thread then just post an update on the thread with a new video rather than keep throwing out new threads.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

sloppysmusic wrote:"We balance out the product with that in mind."

I can see that. I get good frames for sure. I notice the configurator for the planes has GPS/Landing light options (the enhanced ones).
For sure any upgrade retrofit would probably need to be turned on manually by the user in such an option app. I notice the plane has been out a while now and a lot
of people who purchased it originally may still be running it on older hardware. I can definitely see the risk inherent in tinkering with a product that has such acclaim and runs well
on everyone's system. If you ever need a guinea pig let me know, in the meantime i may quite possibly be putting out an A2A/OrbX flight video every day. I planned an Orbx/A2A World Tour very soon. I dont want to flood your forums though! Will probably share a playlist on one thread then just post an update on the thread with a new video rather than keep throwing out new threads.
Feel free to post your videos. They are quite good and your system renders them smoothly. Don't worry about flooding the forums.
Links are fine. Several of our community have taken a world tour and the films have been well received especially if you plan to visit interesting places. Some have formed a sort of forum "cult" where each video is anticipated by the forum. Sounds like fun.
DH

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

I love turning off the cockpit lights (the light switch on the right panel) and just using the gauge lights at night (round knob on the left next to the landing light, then click the light to the left of the panel to turn off the flood light)... positively sublime!

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”