Best P-51 Mustang Informative Video

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Best P-51 Mustang Informative Video

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Hello all,
Steve at FlightChops creates some fantastic videos. This is the best for those here that have a challenge with this plane. I'd say A2A has done a good job of replicating the characteristics of the Mustang. Give FlightChops a thumbs up and follow his page for great videos.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwFdTbmE ... 8B_lfJ2S-6[/youtube]

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

Jason407
Senior Airman

Re: Best P-51 Mustang Informative Video

Post by Jason407 »

That was very awesome. Thanks for sharing.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Jason407 wrote:That was very awesome. Thanks for sharing.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I thought it good for this forum. A very common topic here is with trouble taxiing and taking off in the Mustang. The good Dr. talked about using your feet a lot, dancing on the pedals. He also talked of the tendency for the Mustang to drop left wing and go inverted. I've experienced this a few times myself and for the exact reason the Dr. mentioned, i.e. I got to slow or tried to force the plane into the air before it was ready to fly. I've not had the 51 in a spin so I cannot verify that the A2A Mustang models that correctly.

I did enjoy the video and thought it a good video for anyone that may be having trouble with this beautiful aircraft.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

WB_FlashOver wrote:
Jason407 wrote:That was very awesome. Thanks for sharing.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I thought it good for this forum. A very common topic here is with trouble taxiing and taking off in the Mustang. The good Dr. talked about using your feet a lot, dancing on the pedals. He also talked of the tendency for the Mustang to drop left wing and go inverted. I've experienced this a few times myself and for the exact reason the Dr. mentioned, i.e. I got to slow or tried to force the plane into the air before it was ready to fly. I've not had the 51 in a spin so I cannot verify that the A2A Mustang models that correctly.

I did enjoy the video and thought it a good video for anyone that may be having trouble with this beautiful aircraft.
Very nice film. The good Doctor does enjoy his Mustang for sure. I noticed a few things I might expand on just a bit if I may just for clarity.
About the stall in the Mustang;
The normal 1g stall in the 51 is actually quite gentle. You get a bit of stall buffet and the wing stalls cleanly. If the ball is a bit off center or if you are carrying just a bit of power you can get some wing drop but nothing that can't be easily controlled and recovered from before it gets "out of hand".
Now a stall carrying power is quite another animal and it was this where I believe the Doctor was headed when he spoke about the violence of the stall in the Mustang. That's an 11 foot Hamilton Standard out there up front and any stall carrying any amount of power up front couples all the bad guys concerning left turning forces and you can get a nasty break at the stall. In fact, carrying ENOUGH power you can easily get a torque roll. At altitude it's recoverable but at pattern altitude it would most likely be fatal. Solution? Don't stall a Mustang in the pattern ! :-)

Thank you for posting the film. As it happens it was both enjoyable to watch and a teaching point as well.
Dudley Henriques

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

DHenriquesA2A, thanks Sir. What you describe is pretty much exactly what I've experienced in the A2A Civ model. I love flying her and have not crashed her in close to 400 hours now. However, back when she was new to me and I would get somewhat squirrely, I ate dirt more than once and these characteristics you mention are spot on.

A very strange thing I've noticed in the 51, both in IL-2 and in A2A's model, is that once you have induced a high speed high power stall and may or may not have actually gone into a spin, the plane is almost impossible to fly for several minutes afterwards. The slightest pull on the elevator and she is immediately in another stall. It takes several miles of level flight for her to regain her composure and be ready to fly hot-dog style again. Maybe I'm imagining this but I was frustrated about this in IL2 and then noticed it slightly less pronounced in A2A's model.

Cheers
Roger

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

WB_FlashOver wrote:DHenriquesA2A, thanks Sir. What you describe is pretty much exactly what I've experienced in the A2A Civ model. I love flying her and have not crashed her in close to 400 hours now. However, back when she was new to me and I would get somewhat squirrely, I ate dirt more than once and these characteristics you mention are spot on.

A very strange thing I've noticed in the 51, both in IL-2 and in A2A's model, is that once you have induced a high speed high power stall and may or may not have actually gone into a spin, the plane is almost impossible to fly for several minutes afterwards. The slightest pull on the elevator and she is immediately in another stall. It takes several miles of level flight for her to regain her composure and be ready to fly hot-dog style again. Maybe I'm imagining this but I was frustrated about this in IL2 and then noticed it slightly less pronounced in A2A's model.

Cheers
Roger
This sounds very much like a local problem. Could be something conflicting in the controller settings. Can you replicate this behavior in another plane? All updates installed for the 51 etc. The usual check off stuff.
I can't replicate what you are describing on my system and my Mustang installation.
DH

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
This sounds very much like a local problem. Could be something conflicting in the controller settings. Can you replicate this behavior in another plane? All updates installed for the 51 etc. The usual check off stuff.
I can't replicate what you are describing on my system and my Mustang installation.
DH
If you are referring to the plane not able to recover to full capacity/fly-ability quickly from a stall then I wouldn't spend much time on this. I don't "fly it like I stole' it" anymore and it is not an issue.

However, to answer your question "Can you replicate this behavior in another plane?", no. I can pull hard in the P-40, stall it to a spin, recover and go right back into a hard pull again without it acting any differently than before. As stated above, I found it odd that it was an issue in IL-2 and then I noticed it here as well. I flew with a Logitech Wingman 3D Pro for years in IL-2 and for several years in FSX before I upgraded to the X52 Pro. The issue resides with both controllers and only on the P-51. I only have the A2A Texan as another fighter style aircraft but have not done any aerobatics in it so cannot attest to whether it is the same there but I doubt it is. The plane acts like I have completely destroyed the air-foil. It will, however, return to its glory after a few miles of level flight. Very strange indeed. :?:

Again, no worries as it is not an issue. Thanks Sir

Roger

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”