Brand New (Old) Plane

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
joespeed52
Senior Airman

Brand New (Old) Plane

Post by joespeed52 »

Picked up the P-51 Civilian Model from my local broker. A great airplane. Took off with full right rudder and a full aft tank. Flew it from KPHL to KMDT at FL230. She's hangared now, but before then I stopped by the Golden Age Air Museum at Grimes, PA (8N1) to give the spectators a good show. Going to get her painted in custom colors. For now, she's as beautiful as back in '44 when she served.
Image Image Image Image

I'll send more pictures tomorrow when I take her up to FL300. I'll keep you posted on her adventures in Pennsylvania.

-Have fun and Blue Skies!-
Comanche, 172, 182, PA-28, Civ/Mil Mustang, T-6, COTS L049, P-40, Spitfire, V35, and Mighty B-17.
2000+ Hours FSX:SE

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Brand New (Old) Plane

Post by Alan_A »

Great choice! You're going to love her.

Had hoped to be able to point you to a great set of repaints but I'm having trouble getting to the site - just posted a new thread to see if anybody knows what's up.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Yes great choice and a nice set of screenshots. The Mustang is very challenging and rewarding to fly in my opinion.

And I can see that you made it quite challenging for yourself on your first journey. The Stang is really a handful with the fuselage fuel tank filled. Did you try it on empty too? Much more enjoyable :wink:

Happy flying

PS: I have the urge to take my Mustang for a spin now :wink:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

You are in for the ride of your life. I see you made the right choice. :mrgreen:
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

joespeed52
Senior Airman

Post by joespeed52 »

Roadburner426 wrote:You are in for the ride of your life. I see you made the right choice. :mrgreen:
:wink:
Piper_EEWL wrote:Yes great choice and a nice set of screenshots. The Mustang is very challenging and rewarding to fly in my opinion.

And I can see that you made it quite challenging for yourself on your first journey. The Stang is really a handful with the fuselage fuel tank filled. Did you try it on empty too? Much more enjoyable :wink:
Yes indeed, I did choose to have the fus. tank installed, and it surely was a challenge on takeoff and landing as well! I am going to empty her out into the wing tanks and take a nice jot up to Toronto to visit some friends. :wink:
Alan_A wrote:Great choice! You're going to love her.

Had hoped to be able to point you to a great set of repaints but I'm having trouble getting to the site - just posted a new thread to see if anybody knows what's up.
I did see the new repaint thread, and I went on the website. Hope to find a favorite, something with stripes and a bad attitude. :D

Thanks for all the tips and reccomendations. I'll share more with you after I take her up again today. :D I got a good feeling about today!

-Joe
Comanche, 172, 182, PA-28, Civ/Mil Mustang, T-6, COTS L049, P-40, Spitfire, V35, and Mighty B-17.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Nice shots, enjoy your new sim 8)

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

joespeed52
Senior Airman

Post by joespeed52 »

Some pictures of today's flight from KMDT (Middletown, PA) to CYYZ (Toronto Pearson).
Ready for Startup on the Ramp at MDT.

Taxiing out!-MDT

VOR to VOR Route-Northern PA

Heavy cloud cover over New York. But she's IFR capable and can handle it.

Another en route shot over Western NY.

Above the clouds- Lake Erie

Touchdown RWY 23 at YYZ.

Engine Shutdown.- North Ramp

No Damage. Wonderful.

She was a joy to fly and I am planning the next route, off to tour the New England area!
CYYZ-KALB later. But for now, take a break, drink some coffee, and eat a few timbits at Tim Horton's. :wink:

Sending more pictures on my next adventure!

joespeed52
Senior Airman

Post by joespeed52 »

Yellow is the Track so far.
Red is the upcoming flight from YYZ to ALB.
On the way we fly over Niagara Falls so I'll take a few shots from up there. (Inverted? :wink: )
Then off to cross the finger lakes and direct to Albany.
From there, I don't know. Any Ideas? :?
Shouldn't take long, i'll have fun. See you later! :D

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

Oh you even got accusim with it. I know you were talking about adding it later on possibly if you got one of the P-51's. Overall if you stay within limits it is pretty reliable. I still have the original engine 343 hours later so with proper use the bird is solid. Since you have accusim be sure you don't stay inverted to long as the limit is 10 seconds and after that your oil pressure will be 0psi with engine damage/destruction to follow close after. :lol: I learned that in the warbird version which is my experiment aircraft for pushing P-51 limits. You can do quick rolls as long as you quickly roll it over, and do loops and stuff as long as you keep positive G's pulled. Niagra Falls looks great though. I have Aerosofts US Cities X Niagara/Buffalo and FlyTampa's KBUF, and it is one of my favorite areas to fly since I lived there for 5 years.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

joespeed52
Senior Airman

Post by joespeed52 »

Roadburner426 wrote:Oh you even got accusim with it. I know you were talking about adding it later on possibly if you got one of the P-51's. Overall if you stay within limits it is pretty reliable. I still have the original engine 343 hours later so with proper use the bird is solid. Since you have accusim be sure you don't stay inverted to long as the limit is 10 seconds and after that your oil pressure will be 0psi with engine damage/destruction to follow close after. :lol: Niagra Falls looks great though.
I did a couple rolls just to test how quickly it rolled over. Pretty quickly, but I did notice the oil pressure go way down. I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

If you're shopping for repaints for your new civ Mustang, go here first. Meant to share this sooner but the site was offline for a bit - cdfi just shared the new link. Some of the best ones out there. Enjoy!
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

joespeed52
Senior Airman

Post by joespeed52 »

Alan_A wrote:If you're shopping for repaints for your new civ Mustang, some of the best ones out there. Enjoy!

Thanks for the link, I've been wondering around the internet for a bit, and you put me toward it!

-Joe

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”