Mustang pulls left on takeoff

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
benrudd
Airman Basic

Mustang pulls left on takeoff

Post by benrudd »

When given full power for takeoff, the Mustang pulls far left with no stopping. Turning right is impossible even with full right rudder, rudder trim and brake. Fuel is balanced evenly, and I have tested all control axes in controls settings. It only happens with the Mustangs. It never used to do this, and I've had this aircraft since August '15. Thanks.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Mustang pulls left on takeoff

Post by Scott - A2A »

benrudd,

Try taking off like this:

- Slowly apply power until 30"
- Let the speed build then raise the tail
- Once the tail is up, slowly add more power until you reach 55"

Every step of the way, keep the nose perfectly straight on the horizon and keep looking at the runway with your peripheral vision and how it lines up with the sides of the nose.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Scott - A2A wrote:benrudd,

Try taking off like this:

- Slowly apply power until 30"
- Let the speed build then raise the tail
- Once the tail is up, slowly add more power until you reach 55"

Every step of the way, keep the nose perfectly straight on the horizon and keep looking at the runway with your peripheral vision and how it lines up with the sides of the nose.

Scott.
This is good technique the only thing I would add is try holding the brakes until you have the 30 inches or so. It seems to give a little more initial rudder authority. I do this with some of the other powerful prop aircaft and it seems to help in my experience. Smooth application of power is the secret as scott stated. Once you get behind the curve you are heading for the boonies. :D

Salty57
Airman First Class

Post by Salty57 »

Having just reacquainted myself with the Mustang after the 4/16 update. This is what worked for me in taming the beast on takeoffs. Do all that has been suggested but referring to Dudley Henriques post concerning takeoffs, the 5 degrees right rudder that you establish prior to takeoff is really meant for the first power reduction that you perform after takeoff to 46" MP and 2700 RPM. From initial power application up to 30" MP, application of right rudder is necessary to keep the plane centered. This happened very fast. Once you reach 30" MP and exceed that you need to apply a little right aileron because the plane wants to "roll" left in addition to the left yaw. The right aileron counters this and in conjunction with right rudder helps you keep the plane centered on the runway. The other major factor is application of throttle; do it smoothly and slowly. Resist the urge to do this in a hurried fashion. Try applying right aileron (a little only) and stay on top of the left yaw with right rudder and you will find you can maintain control.

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

When I've an irresistible pull to the left when taking off the civ., it is that I forgot to unlock the controls (the tie at the joystick foot) :oops: :) ...
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

There was a video posted on the forums some time back, a pilot in a larger plane, I don't recall for certain, but perhaps a C-130 or something.
Anyway, he forgot to unlock his controls before takeoff, and the plane pulled up immediately, looped and crashed back down hard.
It was rather scary, and quite the reminder to check that controls are free.

Regards,
Dave
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

wallydog
Senior Airman

Post by wallydog »

I've been following this post with great interest and hopefully Dudley can chime in with any insights. I've noticed that the the aft fuel tank makes a big difference on the takeoff roll. I have very little difficulty taking off without the aft tank. With an aft tank full of fuel, my plane will begin to climb early and pull left. The added fuel/tank weight, low airspeed, and pulling left, usually ends up crashing and burning into the ground.

The manual comments on the changes in flight characteristics with the added fuel tank and there are notes for elevator trim as well but have yet to master this.

I wanted to point out the drastic change in flight dynamics and center of gravity issues since it was not mentioned in the op whether aft tank was being used or not.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

wallydog wrote:I've been following this post with great interest and hopefully Dudley can chime in with any insights. I've noticed that the the aft fuel tank makes a big difference on the takeoff roll. I have very little difficulty taking off without the aft tank. With an aft tank full of fuel, my plane will begin to climb early and pull left. The added fuel/tank weight, low airspeed, and pulling left, usually ends up crashing and burning into the ground.

The manual comments on the changes in flight characteristics with the added fuel tank and there are notes for elevator trim as well but have yet to master this.

I wanted to point out the drastic change in flight dynamics and center of gravity issues since it was not mentioned in the op whether aft tank was being used or not.
Unfortunately I never had occasion to fly a 51 fitted with the aft tank, but everybody I know who has simply says that if full they have held it in the ground run longer, used forward pitch trim and held full power in longer before reducing to METO for the climb. They say it flies like a truck with it full.
Directing to your main point about the climb; don't allow the aircraft to determine it's rotation and climb profile. Hold it on a bit longer looking for at least 110 kts before rotating, then ease it off gently slowly seeking climb airspeed. Use firm pressure on the controls to keep the plane where you want it to be as far as pitch and heading, then once stabilized, reduce power and RPM for the climb.
Dudley Henriques

wallydog
Senior Airman

Post by wallydog »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
wallydog wrote:I've been following this post with great interest and hopefully Dudley can chime in with any insights. I've noticed that the the aft fuel tank makes a big difference on the takeoff roll. I have very little difficulty taking off without the aft tank. With an aft tank full of fuel, my plane will begin to climb early and pull left. The added fuel/tank weight, low airspeed, and pulling left, usually ends up crashing and burning into the ground.

Unfortunately I never had occasion to fly a 51 fitted with the aft tank, but everybody I know who has simply says that if full they have held it in the ground run longer, used forward pitch trim and held full power in longer before reducing to METO for the climb. They say it flies like a truck with it full.
Directing to your main point about the climb; don't allow the aircraft to determine it's rotation and climb profile. Hold it on a bit longer looking for at least 110 kts before rotating, then ease it off gently slowly seeking climb airspeed. Use firm pressure on the controls to keep the plane where you want it to be as far as pitch and heading, then once stabilized, reduce power and RPM for the climb.
Dudley Henriques

Thanks Dudley,

Adding 20 degrees of flaps did the trick for me along with 4 degrees of forward elevator. This kept my plane planted firmly on the runway until I was able to raise the tail and made for a smooth takeoff. Loving this plane.

stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

aonyn wrote:There was a video posted on the forums some time back, a pilot in a larger plane, I don't recall for certain, but perhaps a C-130 or something.
Anyway, he forgot to unlock his controls before takeoff, and the plane pulled up immediately, looped and crashed back down hard.
It was rather scary, and quite the reminder to check that controls are free.

Regards,
Dave
The one I've seen back in the days on YouTube was a dhc 4 or dhc5 ... All died... Sadly

NL451MG
Senior Airman

Post by NL451MG »

After trying every suggestion in the forums, multiple uninstalls/reinstalls, different fuel configs, nothing has remedied the uncontrollable veer to the left above 10knts. This has unfortunately rendered my Mustangs grounded until a fix or a confirmed solution is found.

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

Is there any way you can record a short video and upload to youtube or something? There has to be something in your system causing this.

NL451MG
Senior Airman

Post by NL451MG »

I'll have to do that later today when I get the time.

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

NL451MG wrote:After trying every suggestion in the forums, multiple uninstalls/reinstalls, different fuel configs, nothing has remedied the uncontrollable veer to the left above 10knts. This has unfortunately rendered my Mustangs grounded until a fix or a confirmed solution is found.

Before the takeoff roll, do you see, in the outside view, rudder and ailerons full deflection when you move your controllers ?
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

NL451MG
Senior Airman

Post by NL451MG »

Yes, I do. That's the first thing I do before I even turn the battery on.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”