P-51D cockpit build

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: P-51D cockpit build

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Just had a failure on My Saitek pedals. Thanks for posting the pictures on how you did your repair! Looks like a good, solid repair! :D
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hi Tomas

Sorry to hear you had a failure. I hope what I did fixes your issue.

Take care
Ed

If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised!

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

I missed the failed rudder pedal pictures until now.

The Chrysler LX and JS body cars had a similar plastic hook under constant spring pressure and thousands of them failed the same way as these pedals, leaving the shifter stuck in park. After replacing so many shifters and interlock arms, they issued a recall for a thin metal reinforcement.

Bazooka
Airman Basic

Post by Bazooka »

Ed...have a question for you on your build...Im working on my MIP and monitor set-up and while finishing my drawings Ive found that my AOC 27 in monitor seems to stick out above the edges of the bulkhead. In looking at your pics we are using virtually identical instrument panels and monitors so Im somewhat puzzled as to why mine isnt fitting. The only thing I can think of is our pits are different widths or heights on FS 89.75. Can you tell me what height and width you built your FS 89.75 at. Mine is designed to be 38.5 in H x 35.0 in W.

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hi Bazooka

I'm happy to hear you are building a P-51 pit too! It really adds a lot of enjoyment to flying the A2A Mustangs.

The height of my pit at frame 89.75 is 39 inches and the width at the base is 36 inches. I had the same issue with the LCD width fitting in the MIP frame and had to make a compromise with the design.

In the first pic you can see the recess I routed into the back of the MIP frame.

In this pic I have placed the LCD and MIP in the frame and it looks OK

But, when I cut the MIP frame to shape the curve at the top is not correct.

So I added some material, which you can see on both sides of the modified Saitek panel, to help make the correct shape.

You can also see it in this pic where it sticks out past the shroud. It is a little farther than on a real P-51 but I can live with that.

And when flying I don’t notice the extra material.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions just ask!

Take care
Ed

Bazooka
Airman Basic

Post by Bazooka »

Yep...that helps a lot. I can add a little each way and make it fit the right way. I felt all along that adding some width was the right thing to do to make it easier to get in and out of. I know most warbirds have tight cockpits and the P-51 is no exception. Did you remove the frame from the monitor or just install it like it is. Im thinking removing the frame might save a little more room but since Im using the monitor for something else at the moment I dont want to try that yet.

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

I considered removing the monitor frame but from what I saw online it would not make a big difference. And yes, the pit is tight!

Also, did you get the MIP from Ruscool?

Take care
Ed

Bazooka
Airman Basic

Post by Bazooka »

No I didnt...wanted to but was looking at other things and it just didnt fit the budget at the time. I did the next best thing and that was purchasing all of the bezels with and without the encoders installed and will build it myself. By doing that I was able to buy a set of rudder pedals off of Ebay that I can modify my existing set-up with. Stretching those pit dollars...lol!

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

I agree about stretching the pit dollars. And, making something yourself is very rewarding.

Take care
Ed

Bazooka
Airman Basic

Post by Bazooka »

Been doing some research and redrawing on the MIP and found that even enlarging FS 89.75 to 39" H and 36 " W my AOC 27 " monitor still sticks outside the edges of the pit, far enough that even removing the frame would be of no help. So went looking at other monitors and TFT's to see if I can get a better fit. I found a 25" HP monitor that has the dimensions that will fit behind the MIP. Am going to order and if all works out, use that instead of the AOC 27". Think I will leave FS 89.75 at 36" W so these old bones can get into the pit a little easier....every inch helps!

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hello everyone

It's been a long time since I posted an update so here's what has been happening with my simpit.

For a while now I’ve had a 27” LCD on the left side of my pit to display the weather and moving map but I decided that it was too small and hard to see clearly. (Old age) So I upgraded to a 32” LCD which required a larger and stronger support and I decided to make the mounting post swivel so I can use it for my PS4 too.

The base for the new LCD was huge compared to the previous one. So I replaced it with a wood support the same shape and size of the new base and it’s held in place by 2 sections of aluminum angle stock.

While I was making changes I decided to add some more gauges. You can never have enough gauges.

I formed some galv. stock into an “L” shape to mount the gauges and secured the bracket to the LCD base.

Using the 2 screws shown at the top of the previous pic I mounted the new gauges which show temperature and time. I had them so why not?

Hmmm, something is missing here. Surely we can make this more useful/complicated.

I added a shelf that is suspended under the LCD base. I bent some flat steel stock into a “Z” shape for use as mounting brackets. I then drilled 2 holes in the shelf to allow the brackets to pass through the shelf and screwed them to the underside of the shelf. The upper part of the “Z” is screwed to the LCD base. I then covered the exposed vertical bracket with some cable wrap.

Ahh, that’s better. A place for my drink, ceiling fan control, A/C control and main LCD controller.

And here is a pic of the larger screen showing the much more readable map and weather.

With the screen rotated I can use my desk chair and apply my “Dr. prescribed“ dexterity program on my PS4 to keep my hands agile.

Take care and thanks for looking
Ed

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Hmmm...”Dexterity program”....
Good stuff, Ed. I’m always interested in your creative solutions!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Very cool, how are you finding it now after some good use? 8) 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Thanks Jacques and Lewis!

Lewis, I decided to build this pit after my initial purchase of the A2A MIL & CIV Mustangs for FSX. The Mustang has always been my favorite plane and being able to fly one, at least in a sim for now (I live about 2 hours from Stallion 51 and hope to get over there for a real flight in a P-51 :D ), with the great A2A FM, accurate sounds and fantastic detail is really a pleasure. So I guess the pit is your fault! Or so I told my wife! :lol:

I'm really enjoying the pit especially with the release of the A2A P3D MIL & CIV Mustangs. By moving a few gauges around and getting creative with switch programming I'm also enjoying the A2A P3D P-40 and its real hands on flying. Also, being able to fly with the cockpit builder view in my pit is icing on the cake! Thank you A2A for the great planes!

There are a few things that I'm working on with the pit that I will post soon, especially a BIG box that arrived 2 days ago. Thank you Santa (crew chief)!

Take care
Ed

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Ahh sounds neat, look forward to seeing what you got next coming too, big box arriving sounds interesting hehe. 8) 8)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”