P-51D cockpit build

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
PH-JKL
Airman Basic

Re: P-51D cockpit build

Post by PH-JKL »

Raceguy wrote:

When you start your build if you need sources just let me know.

Take care
Ed
Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it!

Jeroen
Any landing you can walk away from is a good one!

PH-JKL
Airman Basic

Post by PH-JKL »

Hello Ed,

I purchased Air Manager to display the gauges on a second monitor in order to create an instrument panel, now I found out that I need to make the instruments from scratch :shock: I remember you told me that a friend of yours made your gauges, can you ask him where he found the source images for these instruments so I don't have to invent the wheel again? I also found a program to draw gauges in order to use them in Air Manager, but I need a place to start from.

Thanks in advance!

And photobucket decided to ask $400 a year to host pictures, so they're not visible anymore on the forum.

Take care,

Jeroen

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hi Jeroen

Glad to hear you are getting started with your build!

I'm not familiar with coding but if you are I've been told Air Manager relatively easy to use. I would start by downloading a few gauges from the AM program and look in the script section to see how they were created.

The textures for the VC are in the aircraft folder. simobjects/airplanes/Wop3_P51d/texture folder. What you need to do is have PhotoShop and another program DTXBMP. Here is the link for DTXBMP http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm .

Open it with DTXBMP and always flip the image and alpha. If it’s what you want, set it up that Photoshop is your editor and send it to the editor to save it as a PhotoShop file to edit. Just make sure not to save the BMP unless you flip it back or it messes up the textures. A good idea is to make a copy of the texture folder in another location is case of problems. All of the files are DDS which the program sends to PhotoShop to edit. With A2A they normally start with VC and go VC1 VC2 VC3 and so on.

Regarding Photobucket, yeah, I'm seeing a LOT of missing images on the net. I'm not sure what I'm going to use for posting images going forward.

Take care
Ed

If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised!

PH-JKL
Airman Basic

Post by PH-JKL »

Hi Ed,

Thank you very much for your tips & tricks, that will save me alot of time!

Greetings Jeroen

maxonly
Airman First Class

Post by maxonly »

Raceguy,

I'm considering starting my own cockpit build. I recently graduated from college and I got my first job. Therefore, it will probably be a back burner project.

Did you buy any drawings or blueprints?. If so, which ones and where did you buy them?

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hi Max

I purchased a set of blueprints on DVD from someone in the UK. They were helpful but did not have all of the detail I really needed. My DVD's had 12,500 TIF's of NAA blueprint scans where the quality went from really good to can't read at all. I have heard there is a set available that has 16,000 files and if I were to do it again I would go for the quantity but I have no idea of the quality.

Another source for prints is Aircorps. They state that they have searchable drawings / blueprints: 22,316. The searchable feature would come in handy. Here is the link.
https://aircorpslibrary.com/aircraft/p- ... gLpLfD_BwE

If you have any questions just ask. I would refer you to my build here but PB has killed the links. :cry: I'm thinking about starting a Facebook page to post some of the pictures again but right now my spare time is spent flying. :D

Good luck with you project!

Ed

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Raceguy wrote: I'm thinking about starting a Facebook page to post some of the pictures :D
Make sure I get an invite Ed!! :D
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Do I know you? You seem like a stalker! :D

If I do a FB page I will definitely give you an invite so at least I'll have 1 visitor!

Take care
Ed

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Raceguy wrote: I'm thinking about starting a Facebook page to post some of the pictures again but right now my spare time is spent flying. :D

Ed
Only problem is Facebook is compressing the pictures. So many details may be lost.
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

That's a good point Tomas.

I did resize all of the pics I posted here and on the P-51 Mustang FB page and they looked OK. I'll check the FB pics again just to make sure.

Thanks
Ed

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Raceguy wrote:That's a good point Tomas.

I did resize all of the pics I posted here and on the P-51 Mustang FB page and they looked OK. I'll check the FB pics again just to make sure.

Thanks
Ed
It takes a bit longer to upload them but if you send them up "normal" straight from the camera instead of compressing them, FB does an OK job. I've not had any real loss of detail with mine,

regards

The Stalker
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Thanks for the FB info Stalker! :lol:

Take care
Ed

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Raceguy wrote:Thanks for the FB info Stalker! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hello everyone!

Well, I decided to try my luck with Imgur for posting images so we'll see how that goes.

Since my last post I have been adding and tweaking the new PC to see what it can handle. The original plan was to have 90% of the programs running on the new PC and the balance on my old W7 machine. But, before I started networking things I wanted to see just how much it can handle and everything is working great! YAY!

Today I added the LCD on the left for a radar/moving map view. Since the pic was taken I have raised it to the same level as the main screen and I think that will work better.

Take care
Ed

Now, let's try the picture thingy..............

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

:D What a great set up, you must love flying the P-51 using your cockpit :D

Happy flying and keep smiling
Tug :)

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”