P-51D cockpit build

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: P-51D cockpit build

Post by Killratio »

Looking great Ed. The map screen is a good idea, as it the Thrustmaster MFD.

I'm still thinking about onscreen cockpit display vs what you've done. The trouble is that the two cockpit frames are VERY distracting (had that with the HUD in my F-16) but without the cockpit, you can look down in the forward view...so the nose obstruction disappears. I may go half and half..by ditching the cockpit but setting the TV down inside the nose.

How do you find the setup you've got?

D

PS congrats on IMURG.. I'll be damned if I can get it to show pictures..just the address line.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Thanks Tug and Darryl!

Yes, I am enjoying a working pit. :lol: The new PC is fantastic and I get the FPS and smoothness I wanted.

I still have a gremlin popup occasionally but that just gives me something to do...............

The LCD showing weather radar on the left is an older model that does not have a bracket mount on the back. So, now I'm over engineering a way to raise it level with the bottom of the main screen.

Ed

If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised!

rhenson529
Senior Airman

Post by rhenson529 »

That is absolutely beautiful. I've been quietly watching this come together over the years. You must be very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2A Planes: Cub, 172, 182, Cherokee, Comanche, Bonanza,T6, 377, Spitfire, and P51
Hardware: i7 (5.0 ghz) 32 GB 3000Ghz; RTX 2080ti; 1TB PCIe M.2; 1TB PCIe M.2

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Thank you rhenson529!

Now that it is done, or will it EVER be done, I am enjoying the pit.

Take care
Ed

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Hi Ed

Did you ever get a Facebook page up and running? I'd like to extend my stalking.. :)
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

maddz
Senior Airman

Post by maddz »

After photobucket absolutly ruined this 3 year old topic, the guy that had the GREAT idea to try and make a buck...witch just wont work, obviosly, should be stood infront a spitfire, right at the bullet intersection point, and the trigger pulled until ALL ammunition is spent! :evil:

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

Raceguy wrote:Thanks Tug and Darryl!

Yes, I am enjoying a working pit. :lol: The new PC is fantastic and I get the FPS and smoothness I wanted.

I still have a gremlin popup occasionally but that just gives me something to do...............

The LCD showing weather radar on the left is an older model that does not have a bracket mount on the back. So, now I'm over engineering a way to raise it level with the bottom of the main screen.

Ed
If you go to your local Harley dealer you can get a Gremlin Bell to hang on your tower to ward off the pesky critters :lol:

Keep smiling
Tug :)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Ed,

Just wanted to chime in on the borked image links courtesy of Photobucket. It must be really frustrating when you've gone to such effort to document your progress, but if you were minded to resurrect any of the existing image links, it should be possible using the method in this thread. Only trouble is it'll mean editing each post in question, so for a 27 page topic that'd probably take at least an hour which would probably be time better spent on cockpit building type stuff! :mrgreen:

Good to see the project's still going well though. :)

Cheers,
Nick

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Ed, I just wanted to say "Congratulations!" on getting your cockpit out of the shop and into the house! I bet that took a bit of suave persuasion! Well, mate... enjoy- you have earnec every bit of it!

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Thank you all for coming along on my journey with this project. The journey is continuing and may never end but that's part of the fun. I think? :?

Tomas
No, I haven’t started a FB page yet but still thinking about it though. If I do I’ll let you know as I appreciate stalkers! :)

Maddz
It’s a shame that greed is the motivator for some people. If they would have offered a reasonable rate I’ll bet they would have had a lot of takers and made money. :|

Tug, I need a Gremlin Bell attached to my hat so it’s always with me as I am usually the head Gremlin! :oops:

Nick, I saw your post about modifying the picture name and that sounds intriguing. I’m going to test a few to see how it works and watch to see if PB catches on to the option. And thank you, the project is still going, sometimes well and sometimes “well s**t”. :roll:

Jacques, thank you for your kind words. The pit was not too difficult to disassemble, get into the house and reassemble but I underestimated the amount of time set up all of the controls! :shock:

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hello everyone

Well, the engineering department has been busy accumulating parts, scraping knuckles and spraying paint, sometimes where it should go!

First, it was off to my favorite aviation/computer parts store, Home Depot, specifically the plumbing department. There I picked up some galvanized pipe, a flange and elbows as well as some PVC pipe, connectors and ends caps.

I have really been missing my shop time since the sim is mostly complete so I fired up the A/C, dusted off the band saw and drill press and got to work.

Here are the assembled “aviation/computer” parts.

Prior to assembly, using my bench top drill press, I drilled a hole in one end cap the size of the pipe.

The monitor is an older model that does not have mounting bracket holes on the back, just a desk stand, so I made a base using MDF and secured that to the galv. flange. Knowing that if I just left the monitor sitting on the MDF base I would quickly knock it over, I made a second notched part from MDF. The notched part sits on top of the monitor base and a bolt with wing nut hold it and the monitor base to the lower plate.

Here you can see the second notched plate and mounting assembly after painting.

I then secured the mounting post to the wire rack with black cables ties and enclosed the 2 wires with cable shielding.

The galv. pipe is not secured in the PVC so it can rotate, allowing the monitor to swing, moving it closer or farther away for viewing comfort. If I do rotate the mount I can loosen the wing nut and turn the LCD base on its platform keeping the screen facing the cockpit.

Thank you for looking!

Take care
Ed

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Nice job Ed!!
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Thanks Darryl!

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hello everyone

Here is a quick pic I just took while flying around the Tampa Bay area with our wonderful afternoon summer storms. My camera was just behind the top of the seat so it gives you an idea what I see while flying.

Take care
Ed

Stang
Airman First Class

Post by Stang »

Hey Ed,

INCREDIBLE WORK my friend!

If you decide to build a new cockpit, I'll buy your old one :D

Happy Flying

Stang out

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”