P-51D cockpit build

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Re: P-51D cockpit build

Post by Raceguy »

Hello everyone

As you have seen, my cockpit is similar to the A2A MIL Mustang, but I also enjoy the A2A CIV Mustang. Building a second pit for the CIV is not an option, or so I've been told, :D so time to head to the shop for some modifications.

The first pic is the radio panel for the A2A CIV and the second my MIL center switch box.

I considered making a second face plate for the CIV. But, since the controls on the lower half of the MIL switch box are not used, I decided to go to Plan “B”, or is it Plan “T”, I’ve lost track. :roll:
Having used the Saitek panels before I purchased the Radio Panel.

And, I decided to add it to my center switch panel so the radio controls would be in the correct place.

Here is a side view of the radio panel.

I realized that I could not use the supplied bracket in its original condition for my switch box. I needed to trim the bracket so it would fit tight to my center switch panel and the red lines show the cuts I made.

I was a snug fit on the center switch panel but to make it secure I made 2 mounting brackets. The added brackets also allowed me to tilt the panel for better viewing.

I secured them to the inside of the original bracket

And here it is installed.

And in use.

Thanks for reading
Take care
Ed

If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised!

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hello everyone

I know the external screen and shelf are not realistic but I like the information the screen offers and my creature comforts within reach. That being said I recently added another shelf to the unit. These are wire coated with a plastic paint, usually in white and have a tall back and small front lip to keep things from falling out. And that shelf will come in handy to hold my Buttkicker Gamer 2 amp.

Background. I've had the BK system since last August but have not been able to get it working with the flight sim. The BK will work with both PC's and PS4's but some modifications are needed for wireless headsets. I have a USB wireless headset for the PC and a different one for my PS4. BK offers suggestions on how this can be accomplished and there are YouTube videos but I had no luck with the PC. After several attempts I stepped away from the PC install and used the BK on the PS4.

However, the wireless headset for my PS4 the BK did connect with the aid of a small digital to analog converter. I have the transducer attached to my office chair. The BK on the PS4, playing Battlefield, is a WHOLE different experience! You can feel your own weapon firing, the rumble of a nearby tank, the shock waves of explosions and riding in a chopper, WOW, the thump, thump, thump, of the blades puts you IN the chopper!

Last week I tried the PC setup again but still I got sound but no BK, or BK and no sound, but not both. I contacted someone that had posted a setup video. He was very helpful. We traded many texts and after 4 hours we got it working! YAY! So, now time to get it installed.

At this point I was moving the transducer from my chair to my pit as needed and the 2 part BK cable was a tripping hazard. I’m old……. But, now that I had the BK working with the PC and PS4, I ordered a second transducer and cable to make using the system more convenient.

So, on to the project. Here is what the basket looks like from the store.

For my purpose the back and front lip will not be needed so they were removed and the fit tested.

Fit was OK so it was painted black to match the stand.

I then secured the Buttkicker amp with cable ties. The depth of the amp and the cables from its back is why I removed the back of the shelf and the front lip blocked access to the amp controls. They do provide a wired remote but I have enough wires and cables already.

I installed pipe fittings to the base of my seat for the transducer.

I removed the black floor panel and drilled a hole in the main floor at the seam of the black panels that is large enough for the BK cable head to pass through. I then cut a small notch in the black floor panel the size of the cable, mounted the BK transducer and ran the cable through the large hole. Replacing the black floor panel completed that part of the install.

The BK cable from the transducer runs from under the pit then up one of the legs of the computer stand and connects to the back of the BK amp. I have tied both cables and plugs together on the stand with cable ties. To use the BK on the PC I use the setup seen below. To connect the PS4 I pull the top plug out and insert the bottom then connect the cable seen looped next to the post to the BK on my chair. I can swivel the screen 90 degrees to face the pit or my chair.

Easy access to the amp controls and ready to shake it up!

For the PS4 the only adjustment I need is the volume control on the amp to get the desired vibrations. But for the PC and flight sim there are more components.

I’m using the onboard sound card but have seen where others have installed a separate sound card for their system. That may eliminate the need for the software I used but I cannot confirm.

I needed to split the outbound sound to 2 devices and I used VoiceMeeter Banana. This has the benefit of having a built in equalizer. The following pictures are generic views of the software to give you an idea of what’s available as I’m still tweaking mine.

To get setup open Playback Devices in Windows and set Voicemeeter as the Default Device. Then Open Voicemeeter and in the top right corner under "Hardware Output", there are drop down menus for A1 and A2.
Choose your USB headset as A1, and your sound card output as A2 (might be called Realtek Speakers or something like that. Then in FSX/P3D go into the sound settings and set Voicemeeter as the Default Device.

Even after tweaking the EQ in VM I was getting sound in the headset and the vibrations in the BK but it was not what I thought I should be feeling. Looking online I found a program called OpusFSI. This is a weather engine but they have added Buttkicker functions. For weather I use Active Sky/P3D and REX Texture Direct so I added the check for BK and removed the Opus weather option.

In the next pic you can see the options to control the BK.

Generic sound setup in P3D.

By using a combination of VM, OpusFSI and P3D sound settings you can control the BK output.

So, what's different with a transducer? EVERYTHING! Yesterday I flipped on the battery and generator switches, fuel shutoff to on, then the fuel pump and my seat started to hum as the pump ran. Grin.

I primed for a few seconds then hit the starter. I could FEEL the starter engage. GRIN.

When the engine caught and came to life I flipped the mixture to run feeling my seat rumble. Big GRIN.

I taxied to the runway, feeling the thumps of the concrete sections. BIG GRIN.

On to the runway and eased in the power, vibrations increased, More BIG GRIN.

Rumbled down the runway and reached rotation speed, eased the stick back and rumble was reduced. BIGGER GRIN.

Pulled up on the gear lever and felt the gear THUMP into the wheel wells as the gear doors thump closed. BIG F'N GRIN.

So, yeah, EVERYTHING!

However, I'm still in the tweaking stage so if anyone has any suggestions please speak up.

Take care
Ed

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hello everyone.

I hope you are all off to a great start to the summer. Here in Florida hurricane season started June 1st and runs through the end of November and the heat and humidity that we have all come to “love” :x has arrived. So, it’s a good time to be inside with the A/C blasting in the shop.

It’s been a while since my last update on the pit and there have been a few changes / repairs. First, my Saitek pedals broke again and instead of another fix that would surely fail again I decided that it was time for a replacement.

One thing I never liked about the Saitek pedals is the foot on pedal slide action. Having flown a few real planes I decided that I wanted a set that looked and acted more like those hanging pedals. I considered making my own using the green pedals from my current set but in the end decided to buy new ones.

This was my previous pedal modification.

This is by no means a product review or testimonial but I have to say the Thrustmaster TPR pedals exceeded my expectations. Before I make a purchase I like to get my hands on, or in this case feet on, a new controller but there were no stores in our area that carried the TPR’s. So I had to rely on reviews of others and the return policy of the online retailer where I made my purchase.

And here they are.

One other thing that had me concerned was the position and size of the mounting bracket I had made to hold the center switch box. I checked the TPR dimensions and determined that it would be close, so I made the purchase.

When the pedals arrived I placed them in my pit and found the switch box bracket did block the pedals. So with a little trimming, the red arrow points to the angled cut made, the pedals fit perfectly. YAY!

Here you can see the tight space where I installed the TPR’s.

I immediately felt I had better rudder control of the Mustang with the TPR’s. Now I can slide my heel on the metal floor plate, with the ball of my foot on the rounded part of the pedal, and feel a realistic push back from the springs on the TPR’s. I have my springs set on the strongest position but that is a personal choice.

Thanks for looking!

Take care
Ed

Here are a few pics of the TPR’s in place.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Ed, I honestly didn’t think you could possibly improve on something that was already a fantastic project, but I was obviously wrong! Those pedals! They seem to be the perfect answer in both style and function.
I missed the post about the BK earlier. Your findings, combined with what others have been describing leads me to seriously consider getting one as my little effort to improve immersion at my desk! Thanks again for posting about your project as it continues to evolve! 😎

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

The pedals look great, glad to hear they work a treat too 8)

thanks for the latest update, I wonder where too next for the Mustang Craftsman? hehe 8) 8)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Thanks Jacques and Lewis. I am humbled by your comments.

Jacques, If I can help with a BK setup just let me know. Since that post I have made a few settings changes and I'm REALLY feeling the plane now. I am by no means an expert on the BK but I can tell you a few things that won't work!

Lewis, the pedals were the "big box" that I mentioned in my December post and I finally got around to making this update. And, I'm still waiting to join the procrastinators club.
There are a few other additions coming along and I hope it doesn't take me 6 months to post them! :oops:

Take care
Ed

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Love it Ed, I have a life time membership card of that particular club :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Some really great progress Ed!! (and a perfect testament to the fact that these damned things are never finished!)
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Thanks Darryl!

Ed

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Oh Ed,

I forgot to mention... I'd consider mounting the seat on two rubber strips to help stop the vibrations from the buttkicker transferring to your electronic components. They wouldn't need to be very thick.

D
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

taybuck
Airman Basic

Post by taybuck »

Hello Ed
Not sure if you answered this question yet.
Can your gauge setup be used in DCS?
Gary

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

HI Gary

Not yet.

Air Manager is made by Sim Innovations and their FAQ has this response.....

Is there a plugin for DCS World or will there be one in the future?

Who knows... But as long as DCS World does not have good plugin system, we can't support it. We know about the Lua plugin system that some fans have build, but this is not something we can support. We need official support from DCS.

taybuck
Airman Basic

Post by taybuck »

Thanks Ed
I was on your other sight.
Is there any possibility of any plans?
I am trying to duplicate your project.
The photos help a lot if not.
Thanks again Gary

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

HI Gary

For my build I purchased a copy of the original NAA plans online. They were not very complete and in some cases very hard to read so I looked at a LOT of P-51 pictures on line for comparison.
I don't have any plans for my pit and don't have the means to make them. I know there was a post on this and other forums by Stang where he offered fantastic plans that he drew. I don't know if he still has those for sale or not but it wouldn't hurt to contact him.

Some of my pictures are on other sites. Which one did you see?

Also, I am helping 4 others build P-51 pits and would be glad to share what I have with you if you are interested. Just let me know. This is a great community and a lot of people have helped me so I'm glad to help others.

Take care
Ed

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Quick update regarding plans.

I have been told that P-51 plans will be available in about 2 weeks. When I get a confirmation I will let you know.

Take care
Ed

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”