P-51D Cockpit Project

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
Weedwacker
Airman Basic

Re: P-51D Cockpit Project

Post by Weedwacker »

Hey Geedee,
I'm in Colorado and building the same thing. Your a little bit ahead of me but we r headed in the same direction. But do tell, where did you get the dimentions? And please, please tell me how you built the canopy bow? I'm stuck there and can't figure it out. And is that plexiglass or glass you used for the windscreen? Hey I know a guy here in the U.S. that can build u a working panel, but I'd bet you have the same resources there in the UK. I plan on having full working panel, wrap around visual and motion systems. The -51 Rocks!!
:a2awhite: :a2a: weedwacker[/Image

geedee
Airman

Post by geedee »

Strewth...2 and a bit years since my last update...that's nowhere near good enough !.

I do apologize also as since losing my photobucket account (not paying 'em !), all the pics of my build have disappeared as well.

So, where am I now ?. Since my last message, my '51 has been to loads of displays around the UK and I'm still looking for, and getting those elusive parts I want. For example, its only taken me 15 years, but when I came back from the States in Sept, I had acquired an original throttle quadrant that will be going into my Babe over this winter. Speaking of Winter, she's going to be gutted and rebuilt as I'm not happy with lots of little things which on their own are acceptable, but as a whole could be a lot better !!.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to add pics without using photobucket.
Edited...Aha !....success...quick test shot of me enjoying the view a few years ago

And bl**dy well done to Stang for your drawing thread, I shall be using some of your pic's to help with the rebuild :-).
Cheers

Gary

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hi Gary

Glad to hear your project will continue!

Take care
Ed

If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised!

Stang
Airman First Class

Post by Stang »

Thanks for the kind words GeeDee,

Your cockpit was one of the initial ones that inspired me to develop the P-51D Cockpit Plans.

Let me know if you need a set of the plans.

Stang out

flymustangs
Airman

Post by flymustangs »

Any chance of recovering the photos? I'm gearing up to build one of these and the more information the better.

Thx.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”