British P51 Shot down and recovered

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

British P51 Shot down and recovered

Post by EightyFiftyFive »

A long time ago, rumor has it there was one particular British Ace who had just got his five German kills. Well one day he opted to go on a special mission, one in which he would go out and hunt for enemy planes just like the old WWI pilots use to do.
He took off and headed over the German front and after about an hour or so he came across four 109's.

He was in a higher position which gave him an advantage over these 109's so he decided to dive towards them and take out a couple on the way down.... oh he did alright! he hit one which burst into flames and then another which started smoking. The other two 109's split formation and headed in two different directions hoping that one of them would get into the mustangs six and take him out.

Well the mustang pilot swung back around as tight as he could and caught up to the third 109 and then opened fire on him. He hit the pilot which he was killed instantly from a round to the back of his head but meanwhile the fourth 109 got behind this mustang pilot and fired on him, hitting his left side fuselage and his left wing. Unfortunately a round found it's way into the cockpit and hit the mustang pilot but didn't kill him so they say. The 109 pilot stayed behind him and actually ceased fire on this bloody unknown pilot only to follow him down until he landed in a field just short of friendly territory. He was able to land the mustang in one piece.

Witnesses said that the 109 actually pulled along side of this mustang pilot which looked vary similar to how the old pilots of WWI would pay their respect to their enemy with a solute as good gesture and sportsman like conduct. you see, back then it was more then just shooting down a plane, it was more of a respectful competition between two rivalries who basically loved to fly and challenge one another to an armed cloud dance.

Anyway, rumor has it... the mustang pilot made it down safe and was able to safely land his mustang *Bloody Unknown* to a safe ending. The pilot ended up climbing out of the mustang but was badly hurt and bleeding very bad.

They say he got out and actually was able to head for cover in the nearby forest but was never seen again by anyone. The 109 who shot him down remained circling above hoping that maybe he would see his true brother in arms and fighter pilot hoping to get a solute back from the British Pilot but he too never seen him again.

Well now the plane was left in this field and some local farmers got together and moved it back across the field and put it behind an old barn. The plane sat there only to never be touched again. For decades it sat without anyone ever touching it or even going near it... they just didn't want to get near this weapon so they decided to leave it alone hoping one day the British would come looking for it but as time went on, the British never came and the mustang sat even longer. year went by, and every once in a while if you went outside near the plane when it was calm outside, some say you could hear pilots talking over the radio while they were dog fighting each other. Kind of like ghost riders and bloody unknown pilots trying to get into a killing position on their piers.

After about 60 years there was a knock on the door of this farmhouse and this younger looking man was standing outside the door hoping someone would be able to tell him about the old myth of the Bloody Unknown pilot who had crash landed because it was in this area that this now simulator pilot (in this day and age) heard the crash took place.

Well they invited him inside and told him to come outside through the back door. They got out back in the yard and told him: Look over there! pointing to his left. He turned his head not knowing what they were talking about, not thinking anything about a mustang that crashed decades ago but then when he turned and looked he was stunned! He had to focus for a few seconds blinking his eyes to make sure he wasn't seeing a ghost like Ghost Rider who was always flying around on fire! he had to look again and again and he finally got the vision in his eyes that he's been seeking for years!. He finally found the Mustang that was shot down named Bloody Unknown! He was numb from head to toe and couldn't believe it.

He ran back to his car, made a phone call to some friends at A2A and they got together later on that same month and went back to collect the old mustang. They got it together as it was mostly in one piece and a very good find at that!,... they put it on a huge flatbed semi which I heard was driven by Trucker17 which would make perfect sense and got it back to the British homeland.

This is what I was told so then I decided to head over to England a couple years later and I found the location and the owner of the recovered mustang. They said his name is: Maddz or something like that and that he spent two years rebuilding the cockpit to a new modern cockpit with full avionics and was going to start on the exterior of the craft shortly.

I then asked if I cold take some pictures of it while they had it outside at the local airport so they were kind enough to let me snap off a few.

Below are the pics of the old fighter that Maddz finally recovered.

:lol:

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!
Some of my repaint work (screens only)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/121556714@N07/albums

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: British P51 Shot down and recovered

Post by trucker17 »

Nice Story....And nice repaint....

Norforce
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Norforce »

Love the mold
Ron
B-17 AIRFRAME 710 HRS PLUS AND CLIMBING
ImageImageImageImage

GIGABYTE X58A-UD5 MB, INTEL I7 950, 12GB DOMINATOR-GT DDR3 RAM, WIN7 64, GIGABYTE SUPER OVER CLOCK GTX 560 TI 1GB GGDDR5 1000Mz, CORSAIR 850W PS, NOCTUA NH-D14,
TRACKIR 5 & TrackClipPro

EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

Thanks guys. Just trying something different but I'm wondering if I should of added the mold or not. Hopefully Maddz will let me know and if he don't like it then I can take it off with the click of a button and reload the template. He's seen my PM's I sent him and he got the DL link with the pictures but I haven't heard anything back from him in a while so that sort of tells me he might not like it. Maybe I shouldn't of added the story either, who knows. Oh well, it's nothing that can't be changed.

Cheers!
~A~

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by trucker17 »

deepdiver8055 wrote:Thanks guys. Just trying something different but I'm wondering if I should of added the mold or not. Hopefully Maddz will let me know and if he don't like it then I can take it off with the click of a button and reload the template. He's seen my PM's I sent him and he got the DL link with the pictures but I haven't heard anything back from him in a while so that sort of tells me he might not like it. Maybe I shouldn't of added the story either, who knows. Oh well, it's nothing that can't be changed.

Cheers!
~A~
The plane looks great.....The Bullet holes, and the mold.....
Personally i like it....
Its just about what you would expect to see, in an aircraft left untoucked for that long......

EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

Trucker17
Yeah but I wish we could work with the canopy and windscreen, That would really touch it up. Did you notice the blood stain left behind as the pilot climbed out? that's actually took a lot of work to get that detail to look right and the mold was another story. Also notice the splits in the tires? Just enough so that it wouldn't look like it doesn't fly but then look OK so Maddz can fly it in the sim so to speak.

====================================================

Maddz and to everyone:

Maddz
That's OK mate! No worries I just didn't know you were going to go through adding to the story I wrote for your repaint so again no worries. I can't wait to read your script when your done.

In the past when people download something they request they usually respond right away. That's just how it's always been. Now of course I allow time that maybe someone might be out of town or something or can't get to a computer yes of course but again in the past when someone gets a DL and actually see's it and there is no response then it's always been a case that there's something they don't like and are unhappy with something about their request so they usually don't contact the creator right away... human nature.

This is what I see on most forums and how most people react in the past and has even happened to me which is a normal thing. I mean we can't read minds, all we can do is think about what that person has in their minds by what they tell us in their request description so I try to put that to use the best I can.

Now, this doesn't make me upset at all so don't get me wrong but I just like my customers happy and if there's just one little vibe that they might not be happy then I'm not happy either so then I see to it and correct the issue as minor or major as it may be.

This is why I was concerned about the repaint and didn't see you reply after downloading the repaint and seeing the pictures, I thought maybe there's just something you want to change so then I got concerned and excited to hear what I needed to fix but again, that is not a problem and I don't take it as criticism but rather concern. I'm an artist too outside repainting pallets for models, I have an art site and make other art for people who are not in the simulator life so it's just my nature to give what the customer is seeking in all definitions of the word, that's just part of being an artist.

I feel better now and won't worry about the repaint since you like it and satisfied with the results.

Cheers my friend!
Alan

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by trucker17 »

deepdiver8055 wrote:Trucker17
Yeah but I wish we could work with the canopy and windscreen, That would really touch it up. Did you notice the blood stain left behind as the pilot climbed out? that's actually took a lot of work to get that detail to look right and the mold was another story. Also notice the splits in the tires? Just enough so that it wouldn't look like it doesn't fly but then look OK so Maddz can fly it in the sim so to speak.

====================================================

Maddz and to everyone:

Maddz
That's OK mate! No worries I just didn't know you were going to go through adding to the story I wrote for your repaint so again no worries. I can't wait to read your script when your done.

In the past when people download something they request they usually respond right away. That's just how it's always been. Now of course I allow time that maybe someone might be out of town or something or can't get to a computer yes of course but again in the past when someone gets a DL and actually see's it and there is no response then it's always been a case that there's something they don't like and are unhappy with something about their request so they usually don't contact the creator right away... human nature.

This is what I see on most forums and how most people react in the past and has even happened to me which is a normal thing. I mean we can't read minds, all we can do is think about what that person has in their minds by what they tell us in their request description so I try to put that to use the best I can.

Now, this doesn't make me upset at all so don't get me wrong but I just like my customers happy and if there's just one little vibe that they might not be happy then I'm not happy either so then I see to it and correct the issue as minor or major as it may be.

This is why I was concerned about the repaint and didn't see you reply after downloading the repaint and seeing the pictures, I thought maybe there's just something you want to change so then I got concerned and excited to hear what I needed to fix but again, that is not a problem and I don't take it as criticism but rather concern. I'm an artist too outside repainting pallets for models, I have an art site and make other art for people who are not in the simulator life so it's just my nature to give what the customer is seeking in all definitions of the word, that's just part of being an artist.

I feel better now and won't worry about the repaint since you like it and satisfied with the results.

Cheers my friend!
Alan
Yeah i noticed all of that....I wish my paints could look as good.....
Mine usually look they are done with crayons :oops:
Anyways.....The ghost rider is back in the English channel searching for them 109s and 190s :twisted: :mrgreen:

EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

Well ya know what happens when you use crayons right? You have to use pencils, lines, and brushes as a basic.
If your stuck on something let me know and I can help ya out! I'm still trying to figure out how these guys make those chrome prop blades too. I can make a nice shiny skin but I can not figure out those dang chrome blades! I have tried everything I can think of and then some but I don't understand what I'm missing here, just don't make sense, go figure. I guess I'll just have to stick to paint for now.

I'll figure it out when I have more time. I have 12 more request. LOL J/K... However, I am planning my next repaint and gathering the research for it now.

Cheers!
~A~

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by trucker17 »

deepdiver8055 wrote:Well ya know what happens when you use crayons right? You have to use pencils, lines, and brushes as a basic.
If your stuck on something let me know and I can help ya out! I'm still trying to figure out how these guys make those chrome prop blades too. I can make a nice shiny skin but I can not figure out those dang chrome blades! I have tried everything I can think of and then some but I don't understand what I'm missing here, just don't make sense, go figure. I guess I'll just have to stick to paint for now.

I'll figure it out when I have more time. I have 12 more request. LOL J/K... However, I am planning my next repaint and gathering the research for it now.

Cheers!
~A~
Good luck with the research.....I will check with some of my contacts about the chrome blades....

maddz
Senior Airman

Post by maddz »

Hello guys :)

For anyone interested in this fiction storie, im slowly getting to the end of what ill call chapter 1 :mrgreen:

It should be done within the next day or two...I would of had it done in a few hours usually but as its xmas day here, im finding it hard to get on the PC let alone type anything, lol.

A fair chunk is done, it just needs finishing and hopefully photos added :D

Alan : i cant thank you enough for this paint, as it stands its perfect, with no ajustments required. I really do appreciate it, I hope santa has bought you everything you wished for, as you did for me :)

Thank you.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

hehe, great little story and repaint. Very creative and original approach, good stuff 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by trucker17 »

maddz wrote:Hello guys :)

For anyone interested in this fiction storie, im slowly getting to the end of what ill call chapter 1 :mrgreen:

It should be done within the next day or two...I would of had it done in a few hours usually but as its xmas day here, im finding it hard to get on the PC let alone type anything, lol.

A fair chunk is done, it just needs finishing and hopefully photos added :D

Alan : i cant thank you enough for this paint, as it stands its perfect, with no ajustments required. I really do appreciate it, I hope santa has bought you everything you wished for, as you did for me :)

Thank you.

DITTO......Here..... :mrgreen:

maddz
Senior Airman

Post by maddz »

Hi Alan!

You have done a fantastic job of telling the history of this lonley abandoned P-51 ''Bloody Unknown''

Glad to see you made it back safe from your trip over here. It was a pleasure having you.

Since you left, there has been some changes to where the aircraft currently resides. The future of the ww2

hangar at filton airport where she currently rests is not looking to good. Some back and forth

arguments are taking place, as some want to pull it down due to age, other want to keep it up for its

heritage....i just want a safe place to park it.

Due to this i have decided to move it from Filton, and put her to bed at Bristol Flyin centre:

Finishing touches being done a few day prior to our arrival..

And the flight ops building next door

I feel the future is safe here as 1, its a new built hangar and 2, the people there are in awe with this thing! They

couldnt believe their eyes when Trucker17 pulled up with it on his trailor.

I had a hard time unloading it as the guys at bristol were so infused with it and full of questions..

''WoW!, where did you find that?!''

''Does it run?''

''Does it fly?''

''How old is it?''

Telling them the history of this plane caused alot of raised eyebrows, followed by alot of 'wow's!'', and all of a

sudden i find my self drowned with volenteers willing to help get this beuty back into the air...PERFECT!

So, we finaly get the plane off the semi,and into the hangar.

There's not alot of room considering the task in hand, but beggers cant be choosers, and the room that is availible is enough to work with.

Now we finaly have it in the hangar it's time to look at the work required to make the beuty air worthy again...

This is where the project hit a bit of a brick wall..

There was ALOT more work needed than originaly thought, and not only that. Some parts needed completly

replacing, and parts for a plane this old is not easy to come by, especially in the UK!

The whole front end needs to be replaced..basically a rebuild of the front airframe, due to seriose corrosion. It

will required a new fusealage fuel tank, aswell as a new left wing fuel tank as these currently have bullet holes in them. (also arrowed, is the blood that still remains from the badly injurd Pilot leaving the cockpit.DNA was taken but unfortunatly there are no medical records in regards to whom it may have been)

The right wing tank seems to be ok, holding fuel (or rather Air, as we used to test it) with no visible

leaks

We then moved on to the front of the aircraft, opening the enigine covers to reveal that v12

beast!....unfortunalty the sight we was met with was'nt what we had in mind.

Both Cam covers had holes in them, the coolant lines were badly corroded, the starter motor was siezed, and it

had what looked like a crack in the transfer gearbox ..

This kinda put a dampner on us, we really wanted to try

and fire up the old girl, but with that damage it became clear that wasnt goin to happen.So we decided to

concentrate on the engine first..as without this its not a plane...its just powerless bent metal.

After a few hours we had the engine out ready for a full inspection.

There is a company that specializes in these

engines, they go by the name of ''A2A'', and a small division of this company happen to be in the midlands, in

the UK. I spoke to a chap called Lewis, who seemed more than happy to have it in his workshop for a full

rebuild...or rather replacing parts that had no life left in them, and keeping as many original parts as possible.

Our engine being loaded to go and spend some time in Lewis's workshop:

To be honest i was expecting the engine to be in better condition, but after gettin the report back from Lewis,

my worst nightmare came true...
Its was going to be a big job getting this engine running again, and at great costs. Here a copy of the report i recieved from A2A :

At this piont im starting to dout wether this project can be completed, so i gave Lewis a call. After an hour and half on the phone with him, i felt alot more confident that this is somthing that can (and will) be done, as Lewis let me in on a little secret. He first explained the reputation A2A as a company has. He assured me that they have never given up on things that are hard to do.He then went on to tell me about a contact he has in America.He goes by the name of Scott, who apparently has many resources over there and may even be able to get his hands on 'new' parts, if required.

So, from here its onwards and upwards. Now the engine is out the way, we can begin to strip the rest of the plane down.This is currently in progress

Thats all there is to tell right now, work continues daily and at a good pace.We'll take it step by step, and eventually this bird will grace the sky's once again.

>Watch this space< :wink:

EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

NOW this deserves the laughing cat!

WOW, you put a lot of work into this and it's great! Excellent story line along with the pictures really sum it up. It's almost like reading about a real plane. You got me laughing good here, matter of fact I think I spotted myself!. LOL

Can't wait to see the rest of the story.

Good Job Maddz.

~A~

maddz
Senior Airman

Post by maddz »

Thanks Alan, glad you found it entertaining :)

i think thats you in the picture of the engine being loaded...they guy stood infront the guy with the green T-shirt on.The one that has his hand making a gesture of somthing being small...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”