Thanks Dudley. I must add that my Crew Chief has been very supportive during this project. This was no where near the cost of a real P-51, but not cheap either, yet she never hesitated when I said I needed or wanted something. She's a keeper!
OK, let's talk radios.
In March of 2015 I found a vintage radio for my Mustang pit and posted pics in this thread. This was right after the start of my build so after cleaning gold paint from the top and some general cleaning I put it aside to work on later. I kept thinking about the radio as I was not sure how I could make it work in the sim. I thought about adding lever switches that the radio buttons could activate but there is not a lot of room for switch mounting. At one point I thought about mounting it as a dummy and using something else for the radio.
A few weeks ago I dug out the radio and repainted the top and one placard. I left the sides as they were with a few scrapes and dings. The top was down to bare metal and the red was totally gone from one placard. After the top dried I used an Opti-Visor to see the details and added white to the letters then repainted the red placard. I then put it aside again to ponder the wiring as I worked on other parts of the project.
Yesterday I grabbed the radio and started doing some testing. I had removed all of the original wiring in 2015 so first I checked the lights. I have no idea what voltage they are so I attached a variable power source and started adding power little by little. I was shocked when each of the bulbs worked! They start to glow at about 6VDC but I didn’t push them too far. Since that went so well I sprayed some electrical cleaner on the original circuit board as it was a little sticky. When that dried I connected power to the board and again tested switch by switch. I should have bought a lottery ticket because the original board worked!
The following pics, with a little information, will tell the rest of the story.
The first three pics are the radio as purchased, cleaned up and the placard repainted. Some of the pics are from 2015 after initial cleaning.
The next three pics show the top as purchased, cleaned up and repainted.
This pic shows the original inside from the bulb side.
With the old wiring gone I got out the soldering iron and first aid kit!
This pic shows the original inside from the circuit board side
And cleaned up and new wires added. (First aid kit not needed so far!! YAY)
So, time to test all of the connections by adding power.
Success, button A pressed and the light is on!
I flipped the radio master toggle and the light came on as it should.
More buttons pushed and we are still green! Now I can put the first aid kit away for another day.
If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised!