oxygen use

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

oxygen use

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Today i took off from kbfi , climbed above the overcast , which ment i was about 21000ft i had oxy in the tank prior to t/o , and started using the oxy at 10000ft , then i got the black screen , I.E. pilot blacked out , no control over aircraft even on outside view , which only confirmed the pilot blacked out by is slumped stance in cockpit .
I have had a quick glance through the manual but as yet cannot see any ref to the oxy use , other than the mask or oxy in tank , this aircraft has a valve labeled oxygen altitude valve , what should this be set to , as of yet cannot see any ref to it , but this set incorrectly must have been cause of blackout.
regards alan. 8)
P.S. just found out about this , its in the accu-sim notes not the pilots notes , my bad .

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Re: oxygen use

Post by gulredrel »

Check in loadout panel if oxygen tank is full, you will also see pressure in the gauge.
To use it, you have to put the mask on AND set the regulator valve to the desired altitude. At least max. 10k below your current flying altitude I think.

Hope, this helps.
Jens
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: oxygen use

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Jens.
I have been so used to the other A2A aircraft i have that i assumed , incorrectly as it happened , that above 10000ft put the mask on , and yes i made sure oxy tank was full prior to takeoff , when i got the black screen it caught me out , as i dont recall any heavy breathing from pilot prior to blackout .
After this happened i realised that the valve in wrong position must have been the cause , so i looked through the pilots notes , but found no ref to this valve , so thats when i looked in the accu-sim notes for this aircraft , that is where i found the info on this valve , and you set it for the alt your at according to the notes , i will not make that mistake again.
regards alan. 8)

new reply

Return to “P-40 Tech Support”