Input Configurator

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
flying junk
Airman First Class

Input Configurator

Post by flying junk »

Dear All,
I treated myself to the P-40 + Accusim in the recent 25% off sale. It's lovely, I have no issues at all with the model, but I'm stuck trying to assign joystick buttons via the input configurator. I don't think it's a permissions issue as I can assign keys (e.g. Z and X for the two stages of the starter). I can also program the joystick buttons normally from within FSX and save the changes, which suggests the hardware/driver and FSX are OK. I noticed that the input configurator mis-identifies the joystick buttons - 1 registers as 0, 2 as 1 and so on. I've no idea whether that's anything to do with it?

I'd love to get the hydraulic pump working on a joystick button rather than having to look down and click it, and I'd be very grateful for any suggestions. Thank you. (Win 7 home premium, FSX Acceleration, MS Sidewinder FF2, CH Pedals)

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Input Configurator

Post by dvm »

It is normal for the first function to show up as 0 rather than 1. Button 2 will show up as 1 and so on. Double click on the function you wish to assign and you will get a assignment window, just click on the button on the device you wish to assign. The axis portion of the configurator has drop downs for the controller and axis ID. In this instance you have to choose which device and axis you want to assign. I have four devices so it can be a little difficult to determine. I have made a list of of the axis titles for each of my devices. If you want to use trial and error choose your device and axis ID and move each axis on the device until you see a reaction in the preview window at the extreme right. When you are finished click on the save and exit button. Hope this helps.

flying junk
Airman First Class

Post by flying junk »

I appreciate the response, thank you. I get how to assign buttons and keys in the bottom section - double-click, press the button or key, save, exit and the assignments then work in FSX. Key assignments do, joystick buttons don't, even though the input configurator registers the button being pushed. Possibly my problem is that I don't understand the principle of the top section at all - I can't see why I would want to assign, say, the radiator flap or elevator trim to a controller axis rather than a button. Thanks anyway, I'm sure I'll get there in the end!

flying junk
Airman First Class

Post by flying junk »

...and now it works. Your reply started me thinking about the effect of different controllers, so I unplugged my Xbox 360 gamepad (I use it for my less cerebral games.....) and tried again, and now the joystick button assignment works perfectly. Thanks for the thought :)

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

As far as assigning the rudder trim or radiator flap to an axis. Many controllers (joysticks) have more than a X & Y axis. I have around 10 other axis in my system. The trim or any similar control is much more usable with a rotary. There are 5 rotaries visible in the attached photo.

flying junk
Airman First Class

Post by flying junk »

That makes sense now, thank you. I aspire to a setup like that one day :)

new reply

Return to “P-40 Tech Support”