P-40 and Prepar3d

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
pilot100
Airman

P-40 and Prepar3d

Post by pilot100 »

First off, I know this isn't supported on P3D BUT.....

I ported it and it all works OK except that when Flaps, trim (elev) and cowl are placed on any joystick or throttle axis they don't seem to be operating correctly - they all seem to operate from 50% to 150% of the joystick values rather that 0% to 100. So for example cowl show as min 50% and max's out at 150. Still works as it should in FSX and everything else seems to work OK as do other non A2A aircraft. Interestingly the mapping works OK in the A2A control panel and is showing 0-100 just fine.

All I did to port the planes was to copy the folder for P-40 and P51 (similar issues BTW) to the equivalent place in P3d also copied the A2A folder in FSX top directory to equivalent in P3D.

As I say everything else is good. I have tried different contollers (joysticks and throttles) but just those controls show this issue.

Wondered if anyone else has seen similar issues.

Brian

francesco.doenz
Staff Sergeant

Re: P-40 and Prepar3d

Post by francesco.doenz »

I used Peter Dowson's FSUIPC to calibrate and it works with the Mustang, Spit and Razorback!

pilot100
Airman

Post by pilot100 »

Thanks, is that the full version or the free part?

Brian

francesco.doenz
Staff Sergeant

Post by francesco.doenz »

I have the full version, but just to calibrate I think the free version is ok, anyway just try it!

pilot100
Airman

Post by pilot100 »

I'll give it a go and I also will try re loading drivers BUT the joysticks all work just fine with other aircraft AND only the 3 axis I mention seem affected so its a weird one.
I'll report back in case anyone else gets this plague.
Brian

pilot100
Airman

Post by pilot100 »

There is another post about this issue - relates to the config program wirg WOP planes and apart from complex fsuip scripts there seems no fix.

Have to wait until A2A recognises P3D as a viable alt to FSX.

Brian

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Just a note...no need for "complex FSUIPC scripts"...you can just assign and calibrate the axes through the GUI. All drop down and choose boxes...

D
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

pilot100
Airman

Post by pilot100 »

Its not a calibration issue as such, there is an offset of about 50% when you use a2a config utility and assign an axis the axis calibration looks fine in the utility but is offset somehow in the simulation but ONLY for WOP A2A planes,

Brian

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Brian,

Yes, I understand that. What I am saying is that FSUIPC gets around the problem simply and easily, you don't need "complex scripts" to do it. The calibration in FSUIPC makes all the axes respond normally within P3D, that is to say WITHOUT the 50% offset.

The ONLY scripting I have used was for the Spitfire radiator..and that is because it is a discreet 6 positions driven by a pot, not straight "sliding" progression. A normal cowl flap arrangement is completely linear, so scripting is not needed.

regards

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

pilot100
Airman

Post by pilot100 »

Hi Darryl,

OK I understand - I now have FSUIPC installed (latest payware version ) - looking at it how do you get the offset I have tried assigning the cowl as an axis (as an example) and calibrated it but when assigned in the A2A configurator it still has an offset of 50%. What do I configure in FSUIPC to correct this. (Am I being dense about this? I just can't see how this is done?)

Brian

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Sorry Brian, been out of commission,

FSUIPC has both an axis assignment and an axis calibration tab.

Things to check:

1. Have you got all the axis assignments in P3D turned off/deleted. (I find it much less confusing to assign ALL by FSUIPC, that way in the event of a problem, only one place to look) If an axis is assigned in both it can cause problems.

2. Once you have assigned the "cowl flaps" and they are at least responding, go to the calibration section in FSUIPC and hit "rescan" or similar up the top. then move the cowl flaps axis. it should come up. You can then set the minimum and maximum (plus "centre" zone) that P3D will read. This is amazingly flexible...you can have 16323 as max, 0 as centre and -16323 as minimum or you could set 10 as maximum, -1 to -1000 as centre and -7854 as minimum..just about any combination you like. With this you can effectively "screen out" the 50% of the axis that is not responding and get a perfectly normal curve on the other 50%.

Give it a try and let me know how you go.

Darryl

pilot100
Airman

Post by pilot100 »

Hi Darryl,

I have no problems with native assignments but where the a2a assignment util is used then I cannot get any joy.

So if the cowl or flaps are used via FSUIPC they assign and work ok but still have a 50% error if I disable them in the a2a util they don't work at all in A2A aircraft.

Whatever I do with FSUIPC I cannot alter the range - are you doing this in the FSUIPC.ini file? If so can you give me an example?

Any axis outside the a2a util works OK no problems so I think there is some conflict or issue with the way a2a util assigns the axis in FSX versus P3D.

If I assign via P3D or FSUIPC the cowl or flaps axis (for example) directly and disable in a2a assignment util they don't work in a2a aircraft at all. Other non a2a planes work fine.

anyway looks like this isn't a happening thing at present.

Brian

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Brian,

I am snowed here at the moment but in a couple of weeks time I should be better off. I will re-install the P-40 in P3D and see what gives. It should be a simple fix but I'm damned if I can see what is going on at the moment.

One way or another we WILL beat it :)

Darryl

pilot100
Airman

Post by pilot100 »

Darryl,

Please don't stress over it, I really appreciate the effort you have made to assist so far and I'll keep looking into it myself but there is absolutely no pressure at all from me. Any assistance is always just "as and when".

Thanks again.

Brian

pilot100
Airman

Post by pilot100 »

Well looked into this issue and have come to the conclusion that the issue relates to interaction between FSX install and P3D install. Changing the cowl etc in FSX definitely affects P3D settings so that sometimes the cowl (as an example) only shows o-40% travel instead of 50-150% .

Bottom line is that any assignment through WOP config util doesn't work properly and no matter is FSUIPC or whatever is used this doesn't fix the issue. Obviously there is some common reference between FSX/P3D when using the Config Util that affects the range. Not sure if this would be resolved in FSX was removed but I am not going to try this. So just fly WOP in FSX - shame as P3D is so much more stable. I have found no issues with any other planes but then they all use direct assignments (and have the limitations of just those which WOP had overcome with its configurator).

Brian

new reply

Return to “P-40 Tech Support”