Automatic hydraulic pump switch?

Honest, reliable, iconic American fighter
new reply
Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Automatic hydraulic pump switch?

Post by Skycat »

Last night I experienced "failed" landing gear retraction and extension in P-40C and had to use the pump lever. I thought it was related to an earlier fluid leak I had fixed in the hangar, but after I landed and was going through shut down procedures I noticed I had never activated the automatic hydraulic pump in the 2D panel (Shift+3). So of course I then searched all around the cockpit for a switch or lever that would correspond, with no luck.

Is there such a switch? If not, what is the design consideration behind having the auto pump as a toggle on the 2D panel? Just curious.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Automatic hydraulic pump switch?

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Skycat - it's a while since I've used the P-40, but isn't this the button on the end of the joystick? If so, you should be able to assign it to a spare hardware button (using the input configurator) rather than having to use the 2-D pop-up each time.

I don't recall there being an "automatic" hydraulic pump option. Rather it's an electric hydraulic pump which is manually operated.

Cheers,
Nick

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

The button on the control stick does seem correct. I'll try it, thanks!
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

No problem. :) I really should reinstall the P-40 and go for a few circuits sometime!

Nick

Pistonpilot
Technical Sergeant

Post by Pistonpilot »

I think the original idea behind the 2D panel toggleable aux hydraulic pump is that it works when you have the engine off and the aircraft up on jacks; that way, you can watch from spot view while the gear swings up and down and watch the show instead of sitting in the virtual cockpit pushing the pump button. It's not meant for use in flight nor does it simulate an automatic pump that actually exists; to activate the actual pump, gotta use that stick button! :)

In reality I imagine they'd use a hydraulic mule or something to get a similar effect, but it's probably a lost art at this point.

-Ian C

DWC Alumni. Commercial Instrument Single/Multi-Engine Land. [Former] Police, Fire, & 9-1-1 Dispatcher. [Former] MAINEiac Crew Chief.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Figured it is a cheat after pushing the stick button in the VC. Mastering the hydraulic pump -- my new challenge! :)
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Pistonpilot
Technical Sergeant

Post by Pistonpilot »

I love the P-40, so I have logged a few hours pushing that button. It definitely helps to map it to a similarly-placed joystick button since you are usually pretty busy when it comes time to move the gear up or down. It's mappable in the A2A configurator for the P-40.

Happy flying!

-Ian C

DWC Alumni. Commercial Instrument Single/Multi-Engine Land. [Former] Police, Fire, & 9-1-1 Dispatcher. [Former] MAINEiac Crew Chief.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

In the actual aircraft you had to move the flap or gear lever to the intended position, press and hold the button on the stick to run the hydraulic pump. It was momentary contact. You can use it in this way if you set up the hydraulic pump to a hardware button or keyboard command.

The automatic pump mode was something A2A gave us so you don't have to manually run the pump with a hardware/keystroke if you don't want to. If you set the pump to run automatically then it will run the entire time you have the flap or gear levers out of neutral.

Scott444
Airman

Post by Scott444 »

The P40 remains my all-time favorite for scenic flights. Can cover significant distances in reasonable time while working on my stick & rudder skills. It just feels right and is a joy to fly! :)

Scott444

Pistonpilot
Technical Sergeant

Post by Pistonpilot »

Scott444 wrote:The P40 remains my all-time favorite for scenic flights. Can cover significant distances in reasonable time while working on my stick & rudder skills. It just feels right and is a joy to fly! :)

Scott444
I prefer it to the Mustang; to me, the 'stang feels like it wants to fly higher and higher to go fight some enemy! The P-40 seems more docile, less high strung, but still able to gird its loins and get aggressive if need be. Plus the lack of automated engine managment (and hydraulic pump!) compared to the Mustang keeps me engaged!

-Ian C

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

You can get a pretty good idea of how the auxiliary hydraulic pump is used by watching this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUcqbytR9Ts.

I have my onboard hydraulic pump (non-auxiliary) mapped to the guns trigger on my joystick. Don't forget to neutralize your gear lever before landing (DAMHIK)!

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”