Inertia Starter

Honest, reliable, iconic American fighter
new reply
MarvK
Airman First Class

Inertia Starter

Post by MarvK »

Just bought the P-40 over the weekend. When I first loaded it up in the sim, (FSX), the inertia starter worked as it should. After I exited the sim and came back later, it no longer will energize. The P-47 which also uses the same inertia starter works normally. Is there something I'm missing? I'm following the startup pilot notes. Have the 5-1-16 update, but now I see there is a new one. I've also deleted the .dat file so it would create a new one, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Auto start works, but what fun is that? :P

If I have to reinstall it, what is the correct process? Delete the P-40 from the sim objects folder, and also the folder in the A2A folder?

Awesome plane btw, but would like to get this working. I may be doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Marv

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Inertia Starter

Post by Scott - A2A »

Marv,

Did you check the maintenance hangar to make sure the starter is operational?

If so, what happens when you move the switch to energize? Do you see any movement on the ammeter or hear any sound?

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

MarvK
Airman First Class

Post by MarvK »

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the fast reply! :D

Went to the maintenance hanger and even though it showed green, I replaced the starter anyway. Still nothing. No sound of it energizing, and the ammeter stayed at zero. I even turned on the landing light, cockpit lights, nav lights and the meter stayed at zero. I checked the hydraulic pump to operate the flaps and the pump worked fine. So, just curious, I put it up on jacks to test the landing gear, and lo and behold, the starter energized! :shock: Went through a few cycles with the landing gear and all worked fine.

All the while, the ammeter stayed at zero. Put the jacks away and the starter started winding down. :?

I'm assuming something got messed up on the install.

Thank You Again,
Marv

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Maybe the battery is discharged. Try hitting Shift+3 and activating the APU.

Seeya
ATB

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

Marv, have you run the updater yet?

MarvK
Airman First Class

Post by MarvK »

Thanks for the help guys,

Hooked up the apu, nothing. So I removed the 3 P-40 folders, reinstalled the P-40, then the accusim package, then the 5-9-16 updater.

Success! I think it's working now. To late to test it more tonight, but at least I can start it now. :D
Tried several times and it seems ok. (Fingers crossed)

Don't know if it matters, but I don't get a reading on the ammeter gauge until about 1400 RPMs.

Marv

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

MarvK wrote:Don't know if it matters, but I don't get a reading on the ammeter gauge until about 1400 RPMs.
That is correct.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

MarvK
Airman First Class

Post by MarvK »

Thanks Scott,

Now I need to learn the in's and out's of a new Warbird. :mrgreen:

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”