Starting P-40 after T6 Release Update

Honest, reliable, iconic American fighter
aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Re: Starting P-40 after T6 Release Update

Post by aonyn »

Hi Wallydog,

So I tried tonight, although in the Mustang, not the 40 tonight.
I barely cracked the throttle, just very slightly forward.
I primed for only 1 second.
It spun for a while, I gave it one more quick squirt before I was going to turn of the starter and give up on that 1st attempt.
That one extra squirt of primer and it coughed a little, I jiggled the throttle and it came to life.

So conclusion I think is, the problem was indeed me, giving too much fuel.
I still have not found the balance where it just fires up right away, it is kind of coughing then barely turning over.
But it indeed starts with very little throttle and primer.

I will try the very light on the throttle and primer approach tomorrow with the 40.

Thanks again,

Regards,
Dave
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

Hi All,

I just wanted to check back in and let everyone know, after spending over a week in both the 40 and 51, I have adjusted to the changes, and now am starting them first try almost every time, worst is second try. The problem was definitely me. I have found about 2 squirts of primer to be about right in the 40, and 1-2 seconds tops in the 51, and throttle barely cracked in both.
Thanks for the help early on everyone, and my apologies for my ham-handed problems. I assume it was just allowing me to get away with flooding it prior to the update.

Regards,
Dave
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

Glad you could sort it out. The priming in moderate and warm weather should indeed be not more than the manual says. Now, these aircraft are programmed so that they don't always startup the first time , as the real ones. It is quite OK to have to do it twice.
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

My P-40 starts up pretty well most of the time with three shots of prime. I've never needed to prime to keep her running once she fires off. Try the standard (Shift-2) starting procedure, but just use three shots of prime and see if that works.

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”