Honest, reliable, iconic American fighter
new reply
gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Max crosswind for takeoff and landing?

Post by gulredrel »

Hello,

couldn't find this in the manual.
At which max. crosswind takeoffs and landings can be made in the P-40 / Tomahawk? Or in general for the A2A warbirds?

Thanks
Jens
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Max crosswind for takeoff and landing?

Post by Piper_EEWL »

That would be nice to know for the P-51 and the Spitfires too. Especially since the Spitfires seem to be very sensitive to crosswind with the narrow gear :D

Thanks
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

One day, about a month or so back, I flew my P-40 from Half Moon Bay, CA up to my home field in Arlington, WA. I was using Active Sky Next. Perfect way to spend a blustery Sunday afternoon. Great way to get used to the features of the P-40. Climbed to altitude (just below 18,000 feet) and burned through the fuselage tank first. Nice, easy cruise, at about 210 IAS, which was something like 260 TAS, by my trusty AN5835-1 dead reckoning computer. Started running into weather around Eugene, Oregon. Decided to go under, rather than over. Ended up flying up I-5 at about 800 feet AGL as I blew through Portland. Things started getting really bumpy around Olympia. Maybe that had something to do with the wind I could see blowing through the trees out the back window. Damn that Active Sky Next! The weather started to break up as I approached Pugetropolis, and I was able to get back up to 2,500 feet or so. Now I was starting to worry about getting this thing back on the ground in one piece. I found KAWO (Arlington Airport) and circled around a bit. Still quite bumpy. Sweaty palms. ATIS said most of the wind was coming from about 300 at 14 with gusts to 21, so I decided to use RWY 29. Came in a bit hot, half flaps, on the main gear. Flew the airplane all the way to the chocks. Glad to be home. Fun flight.

So, from my great flight experience in P-40's :?:, I can say that you can probably land in a pretty decent cross-wind because you have a lot of rudder. But watch out for the gusts.

Thank you A2A for giving me such a fun airplane!

Seeya
ATB

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

gulredrel wrote:Hello,

At which max. crosswind takeoffs and landings can be made in the P-40 / Tomahawk? Or in general for the A2A warbirds?

Thanks
Jens
Whatever the pilot can handle safely. As far as I know anyways.

Kind of how they did things back then. Actually, the Cessna 172 is the same way. There's a tested number, but there's no actual limit.
ImageImage
ImageImage

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

CodyValkyrie wrote:
gulredrel wrote:Hello,

Thanks
Jens
Whatever the pilot can handle safely. As far as I know anyways.

Kind of how they did things back then. Actually, the Cessna 172 is the same way. There's a tested number, but there's no actual limit.
Correct. For the prop fighter era, pilots were trained to "read" the wind then decide whether or not to handle it.

In jets, there are either charts showing suggested crosswind limits or it is written in the Dash 1 or NATOPS as a stated limit.
Dudley Henriques

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

Thanks for the replies.
Tested yesterday with crosswinds perpendicular to the runway with 15 and 18 knots and did some touch and goes and a full stop landing on a large runway and the last one on a small gras strip parallel to the main runway. Quite challenging, but manageable if you use all control surfaces.
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes, you are essentially flying aircraft before what you consider manuals today where even invented. Most of the manuals you guys will be use to today where developed out of the war and then perfected with the re-invention of civil flying in the post war years.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”