New (to me) P-40

Honest, reliable, iconic American fighter
n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: New (to me) P-40

Post by n421nj »

I like the handling with the least amount of fuel possible. So if I know I'm doing a short hop I'll fill will minimum fuel.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

pilottj wrote:Enjoy the P-40 8) I love all the A2A accusim releases, but the P-40 is still my favorite.

P-40 flying tip...
Unless you are flying long distance, don't fly with the aft tank full, you'll notice quite an improvement in handling without the unfavorable CG of a full aft tank. :)

Cheers
TJ
YES. I generally leave the fuselage tank empty. Also, I've mapped [shift, F] to move the fuel selector one way, and [ctrl, F] to move it the other way. Had another nice flight today. Thinking about flying the P-40 on a big cross-country flight. Maybe down to New Orleans.

I enjoy the fact that there is no State Patrol or FAA in my computer. I can do anything I want! A different story riding around the Snoqualmie Valley on my BMW K1300S!

Seeya
ATB

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Flew from Half Moon Bay Airport "over the hill" to Palo Alto Airport. Maybe it's bad, but I don't mess around with radio protocol when I'm flying the P-40; I just fly the thing like it's still in the 1940s. So far nobody has complained, so that must be OK. After taking off on Rwy 30 out of KHAF, I turned east and pointed the nose up. Got into some clouds, but managed to keep her under control with the artificial horizon and the turn needle, then broke out on top. The clouds broke up as we got a little bit east of the coastal hills. I got her back down near Moffett Field. The dirigible hangar was closed, so I didn't try to fly through it. I saw the runway for Palo Alto and lined up for a landing. Thought it was San Carlos, but oh, well. That P-40 sure is a fun airplane.

Flew her back over the KHAF. Here is how it looks right now:

It's so socked in that even the Wild Turkeys are walkin'.

Seeya
ATB

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I want that new Comanche. Only thing is, my P-40 is the most bad-ass airplane out there. It has all the speed and range that I need. I'll still probably get the Comanche, if only for that beautiful '56 Mercury turquoise/white paint job on N5665P.

Meanwhile, I had a nice flight in my P-40, over to Chelan:
Seeya
ATB

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

The comanche is nice but she's no p40.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Flew my P-40 that is "parked in the air" on the Rwy 34 approach to KAWO. Saw a Beech Baron, and merged. Flew in loose formation for several minutes. This is the first time I've managed to stay reasonably close to another airplane for any period of time. He flew west over to the Olympic Peninsula and started getting into clouds. I hit the throttle and bugged out, climbing on instruments until breaking out, then headed back to KAWO. The P-40 is totally where it's at.

Actually, I now have the perfect combo in my hangar. Want to check out a short field? Take the J-3. Want to haul a bunch of stuff to almost anywhere in style? The Comanche is ready to go. Need to get somewhere at 300 mph? Take the P-40.

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”