New (to me) P-40

Honest, reliable, iconic American fighter
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

New (to me) P-40

Post by Paughco »

Fellow birdmen: I managed to land my A2A J-3 at W16 (First air field in Monroe, WA) without Heidi screaming for Advil for her aching back. After kicking her out of the airplane I decided that I had earned a reward. That reward was a Curtiss P-40 with Accu-Sim. OK. Now I have my P-40. Sorry Heidi. You are staying on the ground, like June Allison. The P-40 rocks! I flew it from Arlington, WA (KAWO, my home field) to somewhere in eastern Washington. Nice machine. Reminds me of my 1950 Harley Panhead.

Seeya
ATB

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: New (to me) P-40

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Good to hear you are enjoying the simulation. Theres more than one variant in the package and they behave slightly differently, for example the AVG model has the extra power that the AVG ground crew where able to get out of her by being able to operate 'out of the regs' so to speak ;)

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

OK. I just gotta say: The P-40 is so damn cool. It's like my 1950 Harley Panhead.

Seeya
ATB

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I grew up around bikes, but it was track work with 'bikes are made to go fast' mentality, so Kwaki Ninja's GSXR's etc etc. I must admit as I get older I am starting to appreciate the hog and comfort slower bikes a lot more. Thats a damn nice bike you have 8)

cheers,
Lewis

CafeRacer500
Senior Airman

Post by CafeRacer500 »

Nice Panhead, I had a hardtailed '63 Hydraglide a few years back. The feeling you get riding old bikes is something else... Now riding a Yamaha SR500 caferacer :lol: actually the same bike I used to ride in stock form in my teen years

Imageimage by aloppo, on Flickr

ImageDSC_5239 by aloppo, on Flickr

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

Hey ATB, I've been known for landing the Cub on floats near an island and kicking Heidi out; leaving her stranded on the island. My favorite thing to do with Heidi is to put her in the Cub in the scared mode and then land at St. Barths. You'll really hear her scream and I laugh my butt off! Poor Heidi gets no breaks when she flies with me.

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :lol:

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

OK, you sled drivers. The Pan is sitting on the lift in my garage. I don't ride her enough. Today I went out on the K-bike, my K1300S. Her license plate reads [OXCART]. I'll buy you a beer at the Duvall Tavern if you know what that is all about.

I am a frustrated fighter pilot. Between motorcycles and FSX I've got it handled.

Seeya
ATB

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I gotta say, those are some nice machines there! Sort of P-40 and J-3 of motorcycles. OK - back to the P-40.

I've been spending a lot of time lately just learning about my P-40. Reading the P-40 manual, the Accu-Sim manual, videos on YouTube, etc. Today I flew the airplane from KYKM in Yakima, to her home field, KAWO in Arlington, WA. Perfect flying weather! I was thinking that I'd blast through the Yakima Canyon, but my aircraft was already too high by the time I transited from KYKM to where Hwy 821 goes through the Yakima Canyon. Oh well. I had time to take care of everything in the cockpit, such as radiator flaps, mixture, etc. before we flew over the hills from Yakima to Ellensburg.

I discovered something really cool: you almost don't need the ball in the turn coordinator - just listen to the wind noise! It get pretty loud if you are flying sideways. I got the airplane on the ground in one piece, as she's still in "great shape." Just between you and me, I am glad that KAWO has nice, flat grass off the runway! Next time I'll crank in about six degrees of right rudder before getting onto final.

What is the difference between [Cold Start] and [Auto C&D] on the Shift-3 panel?

Bottom line: This is fun!! I really like my P-40!

Seeya
ATB

CafeRacer500
Senior Airman

Post by CafeRacer500 »

Cold start button sets your aircraft in cold&dark config when you push it, auto c&d does it automatically when you load the aircraft

Nice K-bike, used to work at a BMW motorcycle dealer :)

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

My P-40 survived another landing at KAWO. This time I kept her mostly on the runway! I accidentally cranked in six degrees of LEFT rudder instead of RIGHT rudder for approach, but managed to survive anyway. Now I think I've figured out how those little white lines next to the trim tab wheels work (the angled one indicates the rudder trip position). Shift-7 shows no squawks from the Crew Chief.

I ordered the "P-40 Warhawk Pilot's Flight Operating Manual" from Amazon a couple days ago. I really enjoy my P-40! Too bad the guns don't work.

Seeya
ATB

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Had a very nice flight in my P-40 today. I've saved a couple different flights, including one where my P-40 is about 10 miles south of Arlington Field (KAWO) at about 5,000 feet. I use that one to practice landings, but today I just loaded that flight because the weather was nice when I saved that flight (it's raining and overcast today). First thing I do is open the throttle to 50% or so, and quickly look down at the fuel selector and switch it from "off" to "reserve" or "wings." Today I flew the airplane east out the Stillaguamish Valley towards Darrington. I played with the elevator trim, and got the airplane to fly almost hands off.

Look Ma! No hands!

Stillaguamish Valley at 200 mph

From Darrington I flew north along State Route 530 at about 4,500 feet and 200 mph, then west along the Skagit Valley. Oh look! There's the Concrete Airport! I dropped the nose and treated everybody to a nice low, 300 mph flyby! Sorry, but things were happening too fast for pictures! Back to climb settings and up 3,500 feet for the ride home. I practiced some tight turns like they say to do on those Zeno Warbird Drive-in training films and then headed south toward Arlington.

I slowed her down, dropped the gear, and selected half flaps on the base leg. Full flaps on final. Can't say I greased the landing, but at least I didn't bend the airplane. Crew Chief says she's still in "great shape." Parked her in the usual spot, next to the DC-3 Airways Hanger at KAWO.

What a fun airplane!

Seeya
ATB

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Nice screenies, good to hear you are enjoying the P-40 so much. Don't forget theres a lot of great repaints for her too made by the community.

thanks,
Lewis

Downtown
Airman

Post by Downtown »

Since I was a small child I've wanted three things.

A Curtiss H-81/P-40C

A Harley Davidson WLA

And a 1967 427SC Shelby Cobra

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Fellow P-40 drivers: I flew the P-40 today, from Arlington (KAWO) to Paine Field (KPEA), where we did a touch and go, then I was out of there. Somehow I managed to totally grease the landing on return to KAWO. Easy on the controls. Anticipate what she's gonna do. I love flying this airplane.

Seeya
ATB

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

Enjoy the P-40 8) I love all the A2A accusim releases, but the P-40 is still my favorite.

P-40 flying tip...
Unless you are flying long distance, don't fly with the aft tank full, you'll notice quite an improvement in handling without the unfavorable CG of a full aft tank. :)

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”