Low Fuel Light

Honest, reliable, iconic American fighter
new reply
canned_fire
Airman Basic

Low Fuel Light

Post by canned_fire »

First I bought the P-51 and then the P-40. I thought the P-40 would be boring in comparison, but I find it much more fun than the P-51, mainly because everything is more manual.

I think it is a great product and would recommend to anyone. My only complaint is the “low fuel light”. I am sure that in the real airplane it does not work as it is modeled. I tried to find more information about this light but could not in the 3 P-40 manuals I have. My guess is that this light would illuminate when the fuel pressure was low or when the fuel quantity in the reserved tank had reached a certain level (because the reserve tank does not have a quantity indicator), but I don’t know. Perhaps if there is an update to the P-40 you could address this?

PS. I actually like not knowing or having to guess how much fuel is left.

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Re: Low Fuel Light

Post by gulredrel »

I noticed this two, when I started my round the world trip with some longe range flights.
It illuminates, but at a certain overall quantity, which can't be correct.

Maybe someone can explain how it should work and maybe it get's corrected.
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

This warning light is triggered by the total fuel quantity less than 33 gallons which is the capacity of the reserve fuel tank. The reserve fuel tank should be used for takeoffs and landings only. There is no gauge for this tank but after all the other tanks are empty, pilot switches to the reserve tank and knows how much fuel left. So, practically this warning lamp indicates "low fuel, running on reserve" situation.

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

Hello again,

Aside from not being the correct order of usage, following shots were taken when the warning light has just illuminated. Overall 27 imp. gal in the Tomahawk IIb varaint.

Wing and reserve tank together:

Only wing tank

Reserve and fuselage

Reserve only

Only drop tank, no light!

The warning light circuit is able to calculate overall fuel!? Can't imagine this in an 1930s plane. Especially no internal fuel and the only a droptank. This should trigger the warning light.

Thanks in advance for explaining.
Jens

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Yesterday I flew my P-40B from Half Moon Bay, CA (KHAF) up to her home field in Arlington, WA (KAWO). I took off on the RESERVE tank, and switched to FUSELAGE as soon I got the plane cleaned up and in a stable climb. Once at cruise altitude I just watched the scenery and spent time checking out the cockpit. I selected SHIFT-4 periodically, and noticed that the fuel quantity in the RESERVE tank would gradually increase, which I surmise must be accurate modeling of the fuel return line to that tank. I switched to RESERVE a couple times during the flight just so no fuel would be wasted. Flew at 17,500 feet most of the way over Northern California and Southern Oregon due to clouds and mountains. IAS was about 200 mph, and TAS was about 263 mph - not bad. Dropped down to about 2,000 feet from Salem up to Seattle in effort to get under clouds. Burned through all but about five gallons in the FUSELAGE tank, then used up most of the WING tank, switching back to RESERVE during descent while approaching KAWO. Landed on Runway 29 at KAWO was somewhat dicey due to gusting winds. I was glad to be home with the airplane still in "Excellent shape." Never saw the fuel light during the whole flight.

Main message here is that fuel quantity in the RESERVE tank will gradually increase in the P-40B aircraft due to the fuel return line.

Seeya
ATB

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

So as long as there is more than 33 gals the fuel light won't be on?
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

Correct, total amount, independent of the location of the fuel.
But with intended switching of tanks, this will be the reserve.

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

digging out an old topic...

So we now have the p3d version. Is the behaviour of the warning light still the same!? So counting on overall fuel quantity less than 33 gal. independent of the amount of fuel in the reserve tank?

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”