Question for Dudley

Honest, reliable, iconic American fighter
new reply
robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Question for Dudley

Post by robert41 »

on rudder trim. How do you use rudder trim on a WW2 era fighter plane to keep straight and level flight when cruising? If at all. On the P51 for example.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Question for Dudley

Post by DHenriques_ »

robert41 wrote:on rudder trim. How do you use rudder trim on a WW2 era fighter plane to keep straight and level flight when cruising? If at all. On the P51 for example.
Generally speaking, rudder trim is used when needed with power changes.

The vertical stabilizer on the Mustang for example is offset 1 degree to the left. This is done to aid directional control optimized at the average cruise airspeed range. The rudder trim tab is used as needed in addition to this.
For takeoff and climb where a lot of power is in play, the useful setting for the Mustang is 6 degrees right. You'll come off this as power is reduced to a cruise setting. I usually had it around 0 and left it alone playing the rudder forces around the cruise setting. For slow flight where power comes up, you generally will crank in some rudder trim to help you keep the ball centered, and on final approach, I'll run up the trim to 6 degrees right again to aid in a go around if necessary.
The rule of thumb with trim never changes. The airplane tells you what it needs and you use what it's asking you for.
Dudley Henriques

budmorgan
Staff Sergeant

Post by budmorgan »

Dudley - Thank you for your interaction on the A2A board.

Each time I read a post like this, it feels like I'm sitting around the table at my FBO hangar flying with a Yeager, a Hoover, or dare I say... a Henriques :)

Thank you for your contributions!

Cheers!

Bud
Buddy Morgan

ImageImageImage

i5 2500k - Asus P8P67 Pro - G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB - EVGA GTX 570 Fermi

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

budmorgan wrote:Dudley - Thank you for your interaction on the A2A board.

Each time I read a post like this, it feels like I'm sitting around the table at my FBO hangar flying with a Yeager, a Hoover, or dare I say... a Henriques :)

Thank you for your contributions!

Cheers!

Bud
Thank you. Much appreciated.

Mikenor
Staff Sergeant

Question for Dudley

Post by Mikenor »

Completely agree with Bud, thanks for all your contributions in this forum Dudley!

Mike

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

Thanks Dudley.

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”