Having trouble with the CG and trim on the P-40

Honest, reliable, iconic American fighter
new reply
Norforce
Senior Master Sergeant

Having trouble with the CG and trim on the P-40

Post by Norforce »

The P-40 has a great fuel system and if you start with the wrong tank you will be trimming all day
Have you tried a CTL+E with the P-40 try it and see which tank is selected first
It's the reserve called that for the right reason it was a reserve tank
So lets start with full Fuel all around. The reserve is the first tank that is used for takeoff using about 1/4 out of the reserve you will switch anti clock wise to the Fuselage tank next back to the wing then back to the reserve tank (not in the N ). In the real world any fuel not used by the engine is feed back to the RESERVE TANK ONLY, slowly refilling the RESERVE TANK hence where the name came from.
NOTE: The fuel system has not been modeled in the sim ie: Fuel dose not flow from the Carbs to the reserve tank
So it was a quick switch to the reserve tank and you would fly home on the reserve tank.
Using this you will find trimming a lot more easier.
So start on the reserve, take off switch anti clock and and then back to the reserve tank. Coming home on the reserve the trimming and landing should be a lot easier
Check out these Fuel system diagrams and all will come clear

8)
Last edited by Norforce on 27 Mar 2012, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
Ron
B-17 AIRFRAME 710 HRS PLUS AND CLIMBING
ImageImageImageImage

GIGABYTE X58A-UD5 MB, INTEL I7 950, 12GB DOMINATOR-GT DDR3 RAM, WIN7 64, GIGABYTE SUPER OVER CLOCK GTX 560 TI 1GB GGDDR5 1000Mz, CORSAIR 850W PS, NOCTUA NH-D14,
TRACKIR 5 & TrackClipPro

r4y30n
Technical Sergeant

Re: Having trouble with the CG and trim on the P-40

Post by r4y30n »

Norforce wrote: NOTE: The fuel system has not been modeled in the sim ie: Fuel dose not flow from the Carbs to the reserve tank
Can this be patched in? I know in the B-17 when you open the valves on the wing tip ("Tokyo") tanks they gradually fill the inner wing tanks...
Image Image Image

Norforce
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Norforce »

That's different they are gravity feeding from tank to tank this is fuel not used by the engine which is feed back to the reserve tank only.
All tanks in the P-40 don't join each other
Ron
ImageImageImageImage

GIGABYTE X58A-UD5 MB, INTEL I7 950, 12GB DOMINATOR-GT DDR3 RAM, WIN7 64, GIGABYTE SUPER OVER CLOCK GTX 560 TI 1GB GGDDR5 1000Mz, CORSAIR 850W PS, NOCTUA NH-D14,
TRACKIR 5 & TrackClipPro

r4y30n
Technical Sergeant

Post by r4y30n »

I imagine it's still similar as far as the programming goes. The only thing you would have to change is setting the flow rate to be inversely proportional to power while taking mixture into account, rather than being a flat rate gravity feed.

My question is what happens when reserve is full, where does the fuel go? The way you've described the system it looks like the feed from the engine would be from a fuel pressure regulator and if the bypass line (feeding the reserve) gets blocked then the regulator ceases to function.
Image Image Image

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Not so simple I am afraid..the "unburnt fuel" amount also depends on timing, cylinder/piston condition and efficiency, current RPM compared to power setting and a host of others (no doubt) that I don't know. Also not modelled (as far as I can recall) is the fact that on the real system you should NEVER pass through an empty tank position on the selector, as it sucks air into the system and causes engine cutout. This is teh reason that teh tanks are in teh order they are on the selector wheel.

Once the reserve is full the system would normally port overboard, you can see from the diagrams that the reserve has a fuel vent on it to a fuel drain. (nice diagrams Ron :) )

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

r4y30n
Technical Sergeant

Post by r4y30n »

Killratio wrote:Not so simple I am afraid..the "unburnt fuel" amount also depends on timing, cylinder/piston condition and efficiency, current RPM compared to power setting and a host of others (no doubt) that I don't know.
Yes, but Accusim knows how much fuel the engine is burning, all you have to do is factor in the flow rate of the fuel pump and subtract the fuel burn from it, any excess gets returned.
Killratio wrote:Once the reserve is full the system would normally port overboard, you can see from the diagrams that the reserve has a fuel vent on it to a fuel drain. (nice diagrams Ron :) )
That's what I initially thought but it doesn't make much sense to throw away fuel just because the reserve is full. Rigged that way you would have to regularly switch back to the reserve tank to prevent it from overflowing... Is that what the pilots actually did?
Image Image Image

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

r4y30n wrote:
Killratio wrote:Not so simple I am afraid..the "unburnt fuel" amount also depends on timing, cylinder/piston condition and efficiency, current RPM compared to power setting and a host of others (no doubt) that I don't know.
Yes, but Accusim knows how much fuel the engine is burning, all you have to do is factor in the flow rate of the fuel pump and subtract the fuel burn from it, any excess gets returned.
Not really...flow rate of the pump is certainly a factor on the intake side of the fuel system but on the outflow side it is how much that can physically pass THROUGH the system to "outflow" which will be the limiting factor (assuming the pump can keep up....and all else being equal, if it can't, then there won't be much unburnt fuel, at least not until combustion stops.) Flow rate is not the whole answer to the equation as you also need to take into account fuel pressure.

Let's say that at current efficiency 12 units of fuel can be burned in a given time period (1 per cylinder). The supply is capable of providing 18 units of fuel. This MAY lead to 6 units being returned (say at high RPM where everything is "working" and IF all cylinders are performing the same). In this example let's also accept that the "outflow" (return) system is capable of handling all 6 units...at a rate of 0.5 per cylinder. BUT Accusim tracks EACH cylinder and it's efficiency. If one cylinder is doing sterling work and burning 1.1 units, it will not be returning anything..and that fits your comments, Accusim KNOWS how much fuel is being burned, so fuel "returned" is now Flow 18 - ((11 x 1) + (1 x1.1) = 5.9. Good so far. But what if another cylinder is only burning 0.5? Is return now 6.4units?...obviously not, as the cylinder burning 0.5 is being supplied with 1.5 units (18/12 = 1.5) but is only burning 0.5 and can physically only return 0.5units. 0.5 is lost/exhausted/vented/evaporated etc etc So we have a burn of 11.6, a return of 5.9 and a waste of 0.5 Also, excess fuel flow on the "inlet" side may also not actually be physically capable of being passed into the system, building fuel pressure and not increasing flow.

Again, please understand that I am not saying that it couldn't be done, just that it is not as simple to calculate as "fuel flow - fuel burned". :wink:

r4y30n wrote:
Killratio wrote:Once the reserve is full the system would normally port overboard, you can see from the diagrams that the reserve has a fuel vent on it to a fuel drain. (nice diagrams Ron :) )
That's what I initially thought but it doesn't make much sense to throw away fuel just because the reserve is full. Rigged that way you would have to regularly switch back to the reserve tank to prevent it from overflowing... Is that what the pilots actually did?

Put simply..yes. Fuel management in aircraft is an active task. Some aircraft (Concorde springs to mind) actually become unflyable if fuel is just used from successive tanks. Even in a simple GA aircraft, you can often need to use, say, 20 minutes from one tank, then switch, alternating back and forward like this for the whole flight. If not done, this can not only affect trim/stability but even fuel supply to the engine. Many, many accidents happen due to "fuel starvation" with NO associated mechanical failure. (ie no fuel going to engine even though there is still fuel onboard, due to pilot error, not breaks, blockages etc). And a proportion of fuel "exhaustion" accidents (no fuel left onboard) happen when there was enough fuel for the trip but mishandling of tanks has led to venting. Most often this venting is caused by exactly the problem you describe..using the "non return tank" when the "return tank" is full. In fact I recall an incident some years ago where a pilot ran out of fuel. I don't recall the exact aircraft (I want to say a Piper) but he was experienced, with many hours flying model "1" and "1a". He took off on a long flight in model "2" which was almost identical in all but a few cosmetic details and a slightly bigger engine. He had a full compliment of passengers too. They had no worries until the engine suddenly stopped on approach. He managed to just make the threshold and coasted to a (rather sweaty) stop safely just off the runway. The tanks were BONE DRY. He KNEW he should have had a 45 minute fixed reserve left plus about 10 minute's variable. (much finer than I would like to cut a long trip!!!). He checked his calculations, the fuel records etc and all looked good..but there WAS no fuel.

The mystery was solved by a young L.A.M.E. who had just done "a course" on that aircraft model. The answer was in plain view in the POH, had the pilot not assumed he knew the type inside out. It was a very simple answer that could have had much more serious consequences than it did..no thanks to the pilot!!!:

In the "1" and "1a" fuel return went to the left tank...in the "2" it went to the right. He had followed his usual procedure and used fuel from the left tank first. Merrily venting all unburnt fuel overboard for the first segment of his flight.

best regards

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

r4y30n
Technical Sergeant

Post by r4y30n »

Well there's my lesson of the day learned! Still, I definitely believe the return system could be simulated without too much effort but I guess all of the variables involved could slow things down on the computer, that could be why it isn't already there. Either way, Accusim does already have all the information it needs to accomplish this. I wonder what Scott would have to say on the matter...
Image Image Image

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

r4y30n wrote:Either way, Accusim does already have all the information it needs to accomplish this. I wonder what Scott would have to say on the matter...

I don't know mate, but I will find out. If it could be worked in, it would be great!

regards

Darryl

Norforce
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Norforce »

Dam I hope I haven't opened a can of worms lol
Ron
ImageImageImageImage

TRACKIR 5 & TrackClipPro

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Norforce wrote:Dam I hope I haven't opened a can of worms lol

You forgot to add "as usual"! :)

BTW, are you fully healed and back to work Ron?

Paul

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Gypsy Baron wrote:
Norforce wrote:BTW, are you fully healed and back to work Ron?

"Work" is, of course, a relative term :P :P :P

Norforce
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Norforce »

Yes Paul I'm back at work
Ron
ImageImageImageImage

TRACKIR 5 & TrackClipPro

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”