ILS/Localizer Capture?

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
new reply
LecLightning57
Airman Basic

ILS/Localizer Capture?

Post by LecLightning57 »

There are a number of postings which I presume are related to the A2A Boeing 377 which make references to 'localizer hold button' and 'glideslope capture hold'. I am not aware of the former with the A2A 377, and in the latter it is discussed that when glideslope capture and hold occurs, the altitude hold kicks out (as in other aircraft). I am aware that localizer and approach hold is mentioned in e.g. a BOAC 377 pilot's operating manual (but apply only if the customer had requested such a provision in the aircraft specification), but am not aware that the A2A 377 is actually capable of such things.

The posting which relates to localizer/glideslope capture and hold is http://www.shockwaveproductions.com/for ... 11ba5f2595 which I presume relates to the 377.

Any thoughts about whether or not some rudimentary form of automated approach is possible with the 377, then please let me know (yes, I know this is against the spirit of 'real' flying: I am merely seeking facts about what the A2A model is actually capable of).

ThomasAH
Airman First Class

Re: ILS/Localizer Capture?

Post by ThomasAH »

The linked post is from January 2011, Captain of the Ship for the B377 was released in June 2011, so the talk has to be about the non-CotS version of the B377.
Since the non-CotS-version contains less custom coding, maybe (more of?) the default autopilot of FSX is used here, so maybe "automatically kicking out the altitude hold button" works because of that?
In any case, even if it works with the current (=CotS) B377, I don't think the A2A version is "certified" for that :)

But hand-flying the ILS approach works fine, I got an applause on touchdown on my first try 8)

LecLightning57
Airman Basic

Post by LecLightning57 »

With the use of VOR/LOC and APR buttons by way of editing XML files and finding suitable bmp files (for the buttons themselves), in order to access more directly the appropriate FSX autopilot commands, together with some judicious tweaking of the aircraft.cfg file, I can report that it is possible to 'cheat' an ILS approach with the 377 (i.e. not have to fly completely manually) on the approach. The altitude hold switch is definitely thrown off when the glideslope is intercepted and, by pressing the APR button at this point, the glideslope is captured and the aircraft descends accordingly and accurately on the ILS (autopilot must be switched on throughout).

Whereas there are those who will frown upon me for doing so, I must stress that an automatic approach by way of localizer and glideslope capture is an option stated and described in the BOAC Boeing 377 Pilot's Handbook dated 1950 if the customer had specified such a system, so my (and others) experimentation is only really replicating what the actual aircraft may have been capable of well over half a century ago. The A2A autopilot/ILS system is an accurate representation of the early implementation of the ILS in the 377 (I note that this earlier system is described in a United Airlines Boeing 377 Handbook).

Happy landings in the meantime!
Last edited by LecLightning57 on 29 Aug 2018, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.

ThomasAH
Airman First Class

Post by ThomasAH »

No frowning-upon-you from me, rather a curious congratulations-to-you :D

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”