HOw do you ensure the B377 always has engines off at start

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
Styggron
Master Sergeant

Re: HOw do you ensure the B377 always has engines off at sta

Post by Styggron »

Piper_EEWL wrote:Yes that sounds a bit weird indeed. I'm pretty sure if the engine is off in your saved default flight the engine should not come up running when you load the plane onto the active runway.
Default flight has not been modified from the Trike at Friday Harbour.

If I load a default plane in gates or parking, it starts with engine off.
If I load a default plane on active runway engine is on

Pretty sure this is always how my FSX Acceleration has been

Because I fly default planes a lot, especially the default C172, when I am done flying I turn it all off, his ESC and select end flight and I'm done.

Load the B377 though, no matter where, engines are running and to turn them off I have to hit cold and dark
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Styggron wrote:
Piper_EEWL wrote:Yes that sounds a bit weird indeed. I'm pretty sure if the engine is off in your saved default flight the engine should not come up running when you load the plane onto the active runway.

Because I fly default planes a lot, especially the default C172, when I am done flying I turn it all off, his ESC and select end flight and I'm done.

Load the B377 though, no matter where, engines are running and to turn them off I have to hit cold and dark
Yes but ending the simulator doesn't safe anything in the default planes. When you go to your default flight is the engine of the trike off? Maybe you could try the following just to rule the default flight out: Just go to your default flight and load it. Then select the stock Cessna and turn everything off. Now safe that flight and check the box "set as default flight". Then restart the sim and see if that solves the issue.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Piper_EEWL wrote:
Styggron wrote:

Yes but ending the simulator doesn't safe anything in the default planes. When you go to your default flight is the engine of the trike off? Maybe you could try the following just to rule the default flight out: Just go to your default flight and load it. Then select the stock Cessna and turn everything off. Now safe that flight and check the box "set as default flight". Then restart the sim and see if that solves the issue.
Ok, that I've not ever tried in that sequence.
Trying that now.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

The important thing is to check the "set as default flight"!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Piper_EEWL wrote:The important thing is to check the "set as default flight"!
Shall do.

The process will be

1. Load FSX
2. Load the Trike at Friday Harbour
3. Ensure engines are off
4. ESC and end flight
5. Save Flight as default
6. Select default C172
7. Load it at the airport I want (Inverness)
8. Ensure all engines are off
9. ESC and end flight
10. Save as default
11. exit FSX
12. load FSX
13. Load B377 and see

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Sounds like a plan. But I would skip the "Esc and end flight" part and just save it from where the plane is. Without ending the flight first.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Piper_EEWL wrote:Sounds like a plan. But I would skip the "Esc and end flight" part and just save it from where the plane is. Without ending the flight first.
Ummm you can't.
When the default start up, I have to load it to see if the engines are off. You can't save from there unless you press "ESC" you only have continue flight, end flight and analysis options.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Ok results are
No matter what you do or save the Trike ALWAYS starts with engines on (facepalm)

What I did. EXACTLY.

1. Load FSX
2. With the Trike at Friday Harbour, I selected location to ensure the Trike starts on Active runway
3. Amazingly the engine was on, I didn't think it was on before
4. turn engine off with the ignition button
5. turn the radio is it ? off under the ignition button
6. press ESC and select end flight
7. Select "Save"
8. Name the file and ensure "save as default flight" is selected
9. exit FSX
10. Load FSX
11. Press "fly now" without touching anything else
12. you are back in the trike on the active runway and.............. engines are BACK on

:shock:

The trike likes turning engines back on so maybe there is a switch or something I didn't use to turn everything off ? I only hit two switches as per steps 4 and 5.

Next test will be the Default C172 and see that as default see what happens.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Styggron wrote:
Piper_EEWL wrote:Sounds like a plan. But I would skip the "Esc and end flight" part and just save it from where the plane is. Without ending the flight first.
Ummm you can't.
When the default start up, I have to load it to see if the engines are off. You can't save from there unless you press "ESC" you only have continue flight, end flight and analysis options.
Yes you can save straight from the flight. There is a key command that you can set to save flight. On the German Keyboard it's "ü" which is right next to "p". Check the key mapping of your FSX to see what it is on your keyboard or assign a key.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Styggron wrote:Ok results are
No matter what you do or save the Trike ALWAYS starts with engines on (facepalm)

What I did. EXACTLY.

1. Load FSX
2. With the Trike at Friday Harbour, I selected location to ensure the Trike starts on Active runway
3. Amazingly the engine was on, I didn't think it was on before
4. turn engine off with the ignition button
5. turn the radio is it ? off under the ignition button
6. press ESC and select end flight
7. Select "Save"
8. Name the file and ensure "save as default flight" is selected
9. exit FSX
10. Load FSX
11. Press "fly now" without touching anything else
12. you are back in the trike on the active runway and.............. engines are BACK on

:shock:

The trike likes turning engines back on so maybe there is a switch or something I didn't use to turn everything off ? I only hit two switches as per steps 4 and 5.

Next test will be the Default C172 and see that as default see what happens.
Ok. Maybe that's due to the trike. I never spend a lot of time in it. Yes checking the stock C172 is probably the best option. My default flight is with the stock C172 too!

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Trike results

1. Active runway or not, the trike always starts with engine on.
2. Unless there are other things I need to turn off, this seems to be the root cause.

Ok next, setting the default flight to be the default FSX C172

and.....................

same problem.
Even though you turn everything in the cessna off, light, mags, battery, avionics, and yes... parking brake, hit ESC and save it as teh default flight. When you come back...... the engine will be on <bangs head against wall>

:( yes it is axiomatic that something is amiss but I am not convinced it is my install, these auto engines must be coming from somewhere. Something is missing here.

Went to realism settings tried them all on lowest, tried them all on highest - no dice

No matter what you turn off in the C172 default, when you load it back, engines are on....

ARRGHHHHHHH :( Yes I know for most people the process works but it's not working here :( Using FSX Acceleration boxed edition. Never EVER going to touch anything steam so please no suggestions to try that. :)

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Ok (or not :wink: ). That's really weird now. Sorry if I say that again but see my post from above on saving the flight without exiting it. I feel like something gets messed up once you exit the flight. Please check your keymappings for the "save flight" key and then repeat the procedure with the stock C172 and safe the flight without exiting as default flight. I know it's frustrating but we'll get it to work.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Piper_EEWL wrote:Ok (or not :wink: ). That's really weird now. Sorry if I say that again but see my post from above on saving the flight without exiting it. I feel like something gets messed up once you exit the flight. Please check your keymappings for the "save flight" key and then repeat the procedure with the stock C172 and safe the flight without exiting as default flight. I know it's frustrating but we'll get it to work.
Hello Piper,
No it's cool. Happy to try anything.

If the ESC and End Flight is the issue.

Ok I will check as I have not changed any default mappings. Stand by.

Ok.
1. Load FSX
2. The default C172 and my selected airport at GA Parking is still there (from above processes)
3. Selected Fly now
4. Engine is of course on already (arrghh)
5. Turned everything off. Beacon, mags, battery, avionics and used CTRL . for parking brake
6. did NOT press ESC but instead used the save shot cut key or ; and gave a filename for the save AND ensured save as default flight is ticked
7. quit FSX
11. Load FSX

[UPDATE] It works

In my haste, I didn't quit and RELOAD FSX.
When I did the default FSX was cold and dark state and engines were NOT on.

YAY

So the problem was the ESC key and ending the flight.
Thank you Piper

I don't have time to check the B377 now but I shall check it tonight.
Wish me luck !
Last edited by Styggron on 20 Jun 2016, 16:35, edited 2 times in total.

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

When in flightsim right click the screen and untick the hide menu bar.That will give you the full menu bar.if you go left to" flights" you can save and load flights from there.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

speedy70 wrote:When in flightsim right click the screen and untick the hide menu bar.That will give you the full menu bar.if you go left to" flights" you can save and load flights from there.
Thank you, this is an option I have not yet tried cheers.

[UPDATE]
Two posts above I updated my status. At last test using the ; I neglected to quit FSX and reload. I tried it when I was about to try Speedy's suggestion and found my default C172 was cold and Dark.

Piper was right, saves must be with ; and not ESC, then save from the menu
Odd eh ?

No time to check the B377 now, will check it when I get home from work late tonight.

Thanks everyone. Wish me luck !

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”