HOw do you ensure the B377 always has engines off at start

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
Styggron
Master Sergeant

Re: HOw do you ensure the B377 always has engines off at sta

Post by Styggron »

TreeTops wrote:For those features you might have to wait until A2A update it. Those features only appeared in the last few aircraft.
errr persistency was present in the B377 always wasn't it ? Other things I set on it are just not the mags and master battery :)
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

HOw do you ensure the B377 always has engines off at start

Post by Jacques »

I think a persistant engine status, but not necessarily persistant switch position without you saving it as such.

I always have magnetos on "both" after loading the default Cessna. Not really sure why that happens.

Remember that this was still fairly early accu-sim, and a pretty ambitious leap forward in terms of incorporating an active and interactive virtual flight crew. I'm willing to let some things slide... we will just have to see what the Constellation efforts bring to the Stratocruiser. It may be earth-shattering, it may be nothing --I'm happy either way. I just had another beautiful five hour flight between islands in the Pacific following Pan Am's April 1960 schedule!!

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Yes the switch persistence was incorporated a lot later. The B-17 is the same way and so is the Piper Cub. It doesn't bother me one bit as Jacques said the approach to Accusim was brand new with the Stratocruiser and it was an amazing step forward for the world of flight simulation. I'm happy with the switches being reset as long as Heidi brings some egg sandwiches and coffee to the flight deck :wink: :mrgreen:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Piper_EEWL wrote:Yes the switch persistence was incorporated a lot later. The B-17 is the same way and so is the Piper Cub. It doesn't bother me one bit as Jacques said the approach to Accusim was brand new with the Stratocruiser and it was an amazing step forward for the world of flight simulation. I'm happy with the switches being reset as long as Heidi brings some egg sandwiches and coffee to the flight deck :wink: :mrgreen:
Only way is either manually turn them off or hitting cold and dark everytime.

Is there a disadvantage of doing cold and dark each time ?

I don't see how saving switch positions would be hard though :o
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

The main difference between hitting C&D versus a manual complete shutdown, is that the fluid & engine temps are instantly dropped to the temps they would be as if the aircraft has been sitting awhile.

I use both shut down methods, depending on how long it's going to be before I fly the next leg.
If I am planning on continuing the flight as though it is the same day, and I'm just changing out the passengers, then I'll do a complete manual shut down. Then save the flight.
If it's the last flight of the day, then I'll hit C&D after doing a complete manual shut down. Then save the flight.

In either version of a shutdown, as long as you save the flight, the state of the aircraft will reload exactly like you left it when saved. This is different than when you load the 377 directly from the FFGUI without the benefit of having saved the flight.

With the 377, there are practically no switches or engine parameters that are not remembered from a saved flight loaded directly from the Free Flight Menu. There is also no need to load a default FSX flight or default aircraft prior to loading the 377 from a saved flight.

This is the way the Load Flight screen looks with a saved 377 flight. The check box for making the saved 377 the default flight is optional. The only thing you'll really notice by selecting the check box, is that the next time you load up FSX, the 377 will be the aircraft spinning around in the FFGUI window.
FAC257

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

FAC257 wrote:The main difference between hitting C&D versus a manual complete shutdown, is that the fluid & engine temps are instantly dropped to the temps they would be as if the aircraft has been sitting awhile.

I use both shut down methods, depending on how long it's going to be before I fly the next leg.
If I am planning on continuing the flight as though it is the same day, and I'm just changing out the passengers, then I'll do a complete manual shut down. Then save the flight.
If it's the last flight of the day, then I'll hit C&D after doing a complete manual shut down. Then save the flight.

In either version of a shutdown, as long as you save the flight, the state of the aircraft will reload exactly like you left it when saved. This is different than when you load the 377 directly from the FFGUI without the benefit of having saved the flight.

With the 377, there are practically no switches or engine parameters that are not remembered from a saved flight loaded directly from the Free Flight Menu. There is also no need to load a default FSX flight or default aircraft prior to loading the 377 from a saved flight.

This is the way the Load Flight screen looks with a saved 377 flight. The check box for making the saved 377 the default flight is optional. The only thing you'll really notice by selecting the check box, is that the next time you load up FSX, the 377 will be the aircraft spinning around in the FFGUI window.
Thank you FAC257

Understood. Thank you for that. This makes more sense. What I didn't understand before is when I finished and everything was off why the master switch and magnetos would come 'back on'. That is still a mystery. Everyone says it is because it is getting settings from the default craft (which was the trike at friday harbour but not the default C172 at inverness)

So looks like I should be saving the flights. Normally I never do. I guess the persistency that came with later A2A products was in its early stages here.

What do you do about the time though ? When you save, does it not save the time ?
eg:
-Flight finished at 1pm and you plan to fly a few hours later as well
-You shut down, and you save
-you come back at 4pm realtime to fly again
-when you load the plane the save is from 1pm

I guess you just make the setting 4pm and this will simulate the time passed with regards with the oil temperatures etc ?

One other thing. How much time is passed for equivalent of cold and dark state ? 5 hours ? 7 hours ? Less ?Do we know ?

Thanks again :)

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

You are more than welcome. :)

My habit of saving flights, comes from always taking off from wherever it is that I land. I like coming back to an aircraft that is sitting exactly where and how I left it.

When I'm doing multiple flight legs in one day, I'm only shutting the aircraft down and saving the flight, long enough for me to back out of FSX and update the two external flight logs that I use.
That only takes a few minutes, so that when I come back into FSX and my saved flight, the in-sim time only needs to be updated by a few minutes.

I always fly in real time, with the FSX clock set to UTC time.

At the end of the day's flights, I'll do a full manual shut down and then hit C&D as the last step before saving. When I go to fly that saved flight at a later date, she's already in a C&D condition and the only thing I do, is to update the flight to the current UTC time.

How long it takes for the 377 to cool down to C&D temps in real time, is actually an interesting question.
FAC257

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

FAC257 wrote:You are more than welcome. :)

My habit of saving flights, comes from always taking off from wherever it is that I land. I like coming back to an aircraft that is sitting exactly where and how I left it.

When I'm doing multiple flight legs in one day, I'm only shutting the aircraft down and saving the flight, long enough for me to back out of FSX and update the two external flight logs that I use.
That only takes a few minutes, so that when I come back into FSX and my saved flight, the in-sim time only needs to be updated by a few minutes.

I always fly in real time, with the FSX clock set to UTC time.

At the end of the day's flights, I'll do a full manual shut down and then hit C&D as the last step before saving. When I go to fly that saved flight at a later date, she's already in a C&D condition and the only thing I do, is to update the flight to the current UTC time.

How long it takes for the 377 to cool down to C&D temps in real time, is actually an interesting question.
Well I ask to know if I need to press C&D.
I can't do long haul in real time so I would have to save. But if I land and come back a few hours later, as I said the restore has the previous time so I would need to move the time forward to simulate 2 hours has passed.

Amazed how many people fly real time.

Perhaps you could have a look at my thread on B377 called "How do you do long haul flights". Some interesting responses there. :)

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Styggron,

Using C&D at the end of the flight is really up to you. It just adds another level of simulating what a real aircraft does if it's been sitting there awhile.

Saving is also not necessary, but I do it out of habit in creating consistency in how I use FSX.

It's really boils down to what fits your style of flying, and what you are looking to get out of your time with FSX. :)
FAC257

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

FAC257 wrote:Styggron,

Using C&D at the end of the flight is really up to you. It just adds another level of simulating what a real aircraft does if it's been sitting there awhile.

Saving is also not necessary, but I do it out of habit in creating consistency in how I use FSX.

It's really boils down to what fits your style of flying, and what you are looking to get out of your time with FSX. :)
Question for you.

1. I just did a flight and I wanted to fly again after the passengers disembarked. The problem was I could not get the FE to start everything up again. They just kept saying "turning systems off" or words to that effect. Errrr they already turned everything off.

No matter what I did I could not get things "Started" again, ie the flight crew left. How do I get everyone back for another flight ?

I was forced to select "end flight" then adjust the clock to current and jump back in. Sadly though all the oil was cooled dammit. I wanted to just fly with everything warm.

So
1. You land, disembark passengers, Heidi says goodbye you get the FE to shut things down

How do you start back up without exiting ? How do you get Heidi to return ?

Sure I could save but again I would need to exit. How do I start things up without exiting the flight ?

Thanks FAC257 :)
PS they served no meals on either of the two flights I just did. Meals were on too :( Don't know what happened there. Between 6.30am and 10.30am they surely would have served a meal :(

MarvK
Airman First Class

Post by MarvK »

After unloading, and the the crew leaves, instead of ending the flight, try reloading the plane again. When I change repaints, I get a "welcome captain" with each different paint. Don't know if the engines remain warm though, never checked.

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

That might actually work. :)

The method I use, as mentioned before, is to save the flight, exit the flight, and then reload the flight. The aircraft will reload as a new flight with all of the aircraft temps and fluids exactly like they were when you saved the flight. As long as you don't hit C&D, the temps will stay the same as you left them.

Simply reloading the aircraft while in-sim without saving will probably do the same thing. Again as long as you don't hit C&D, the temps will stay as they are.
FAC257

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Hello everyone,

1. When you land to get out you have to press ESC, and all you have is end flight, continue flight (which just takes you back with everyone gone still) and view analysis

By reloading do you mean
1. Landing, shutting everything down
2. press ; which is the save option
3. save
4. end the flight with ESC
5. load the flight from the menu screen

Of course, you have to adjust the time a little to match the current clock.

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

Stygrron

As i have told you before you should not use "esc" you should on start up right click on the main screen and unclick "hide menu bar"
Then you can use all the menus,in particular the flight menu which gives you the option to "save flight",and"make this flight the default"
Using esc as I have told you before is wrong.

Cheers chris

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

speedy70 wrote:Stygrron

As i have told you before you should not use "esc" you should on start up right click on the main screen and unclick "hide menu bar"
Then you can use all the menus,in particular the flight menu which gives you the option to "save flight",and"make this flight the default"
Using esc as I have told you before is wrong.

Cheers chris
I need to STOP hitting ESC for ending the flight dammit.... grrrrrr........

; is the shortcut for save as I wrote above so no need to unhide menu, ; does the same thing as selecting save flight from the menu.

So next up is whether my step by step above is ok. If you saved it, it can't matter if you end the flight to come back later. This is the point is using end flight. So long as you save first with ;

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”