Engine Fires?

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
Alky
Senior Airman

Engine Fires?

Post by Alky »

What is the secret to avoiding engine fires in the 377? It seems every flight that shortly after lift off, the engines overheat and at least one of them catches fire. Cowel flaps are at 3, ADI is auto, MP is about 45 on rolling down the runway, pitch / rpm is less than max (not in the red). All is well till I'm off the ground and starting to climb and then pull throttle back to around 40 MP. Even at 600 fpm I'm being told the engines are getting hot. I have the FE looking after everything but the MP. :cry:

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Engine Fires?

Post by Piper_EEWL »

You say ADI is on auto but do you turn the ADI pump on? The switch is located next to the ADI quantity gauges in the overhead panel in the front on the captains side.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Alky
Senior Airman

Post by Alky »

Piper_EEWL wrote:You say ADI is on auto but do you turn the ADI pump on? The switch is located next to the ADI quantity gauges in the overhead panel in the front on the captains side.
I did not, thank you, I'll see if that helps :)

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I'm almost certain it does. I'm a newbie too on the Stratocruiser (4 flights 10h) but I didn't have any fires so far :wink:

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

One thing you didn't mention was pitching for speed. In the modern jet age we are used to seeing a jet lay back and shoot for the skies at amazing climb angles. Watch any old video of the prop liners and they all have one thing in common. They lift off the ground, retract the gear as soon as practicable and then pitch forward to gain speed when safe to do so. Speed equals cooling so achieve that before the climbing really starts. It really helps to mentally prepare yourself before you push the throttles forward to begin with. Break down the departure into segments of accelerate to liftoff, rotate and climb to gear up, pitch forward to get climb speed cleaning up the flaps etc, begin climb phase. If you approach the mighty strat like this you will have every success.
It helps to start with light loads and as you gain confidence in your performance you can begin to work up to full loads. Ground temperatures also play a big role so it helps to learn at cooler areas, but not at really cold areas where it's harder to start the engines.
Cheers
Trev

Alky
Senior Airman

Post by Alky »

TreeTops wrote: It helps to start with light loads and as you gain confidence in your performance you can begin to work up to full loads. Ground temperatures also play a big role so it helps to learn at cooler areas, but not at really cold areas where it's harder to start the engines.
Thanx for the tips. I have since the OP made 1 successful flight, all 4 engines ran till touchdown, the mechanics weren't too thrilled with the condition of a couple of engines though! :roll:

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Good work. Heat is the biggest killer so keep a close I on that and the mechanics will be much happier :)
Cheers
Trev

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Great that you made a flight without fireworks :wink: I think the manual suggests a climb speed of 170kts ias as soon as practicable after takeoff. So I usually do a little initial climb with the gear retracted and then start accelerating to 170kts slowing bringing in the flaps. So far no complaints from the mechanics :wink:

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Engine Fires?

Post by Jacques »

As far as engine damage caused by other than fire :D , be gentle when reducing power so you don't shock-cool the engines.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Surely that sort of lack of cooling in an engine couldn't POSSIBLY be right???? I have 27 friends who are all glider pilots (so they know what they are talking about) and none of them can fly the B377. It MUST be wrong???? If airliners were THAT hard to fly we would all be walking everywhere by now????

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Oh, for any new A2A users / customers....kind of a running gag here re the Spitfire.....

(Ok Lewis, I'm going to lock myself back in the basement now, feel free to delete my account :) :) )
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Killratio wrote:Surely that sort of lack of cooling in an engine couldn't POSSIBLY be right???? I have 27 friends who are all glider pilots (so they know what they are talking about) and none of them can fly the B377. It MUST be wrong???? If airliners were THAT hard to fly we would all be walking everywhere by now????

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Oh, for any new A2A users / customers....kind of a running gag here re the Spitfire.....

(Ok Lewis, I'm going to lock myself back in the basement now, feel free to delete my account :) :) )
:lol: :lol: I was thinking about the Spitfire with regard to the cooling issues.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Yes, the 377 has not one but four rows of cylinders.

Here's a pict of the P&W 4360 installed with a partial cowling on:

This is a very hot engine even when flying normally, so you can see how rapid this would overheat if one was ever so negligent to take off with cowl flaps closed.

In Tim Choppe's own words, who owns and operates both a Dougles C54 (DC-4) and a Boeing C97 (377), "The C97 is a tiger whereas the Douglas is a kitten. This is because the C97 is always trying to kill you and your crew." On the ladder of challenge and complexity, the 377 is on the very top.

Your margins are small so you have to always bring your A game.

A few things to know:
- Let Larry the engineer manage the systems
- ADI = ON
- Crews reports up (SHIFT-2)
- Don't hold brakes on takeoff, just slowly increase to takeoff power
- Reduce power soon after takeoff
- Never let the plane get slow (don't pull power too fast and start sinking)
- Keep the climb shallow and fast as necessary to keep those engines cool

Once this thing gets on it's way, it's all pretty straight forward.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Scott,

What an amazing photo. No wonder the thing generates surplus heat!!

D
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Alky
Senior Airman

Post by Alky »

Scott - A2A wrote: A few things to know:

- ADI = ON
Ok, I managed another flight, this time no engine damage at all, I heard a baby crying during decent, but what do they know!
Just curious, I ran out of ADI, how does that get refilled? I didn't see anything in the menus?

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Its in the manual. Pilots manual pg 144. Shift 4 brings up the Payload and Fuel manager. You top up everything here.
Cheers
Trev

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”