Engine Fires?

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
Alky
Senior Airman

Re: Engine Fires?

Post by Alky »

TreeTops wrote:Its in the manual. Pilots manual pg 144. Shift 4 brings up the Payload and Fuel manager. You top up everything here.
Of course... should have known that! :roll:

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

The baby cries because your rate of decent is too high. You need to decent with a rate below 1000ft/min (with pressurization off of course as in the final stage of approach. With pressurization on, cabin sinkrate should be lower).
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Yeah I'm struggling with that baby too. :wink: But I'm not offended by it. Have you ever been on a commercial flight with babies on board and they haven't cried? I don't think I have :D

I'm still trying hard though :wink:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

When you are descending so carefully on final approach and then hear that baby cry, it not only disappoints you, but is just yet another distraction you have to push through. Distractions play such a big role in flight safety too. Almost every mistake I've made in the cockpit has been tied to something distracting me.

The more activity we can put in the simulator, the more real it feels (and fun).

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Piper_EEWL wrote:I'm almost certain it does. I'm a newbie too on the Stratocruiser (4 flights 10h) but I didn't have any fires so far :wink:

Happy flying
On my first flight first take off I had 4 fires ROFL
On my third flight, I had one fire whilst taxiing ! LOL :O

All good now, no more fires but I don't have the ADI pump on, should I ? I hit the 4 switches but not the pump.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Piper_EEWL wrote:
Killratio wrote:Surely that sort of lack of cooling in an engine couldn't POSSIBLY be right???? I have 27 friends who are all glider pilots (so they know what they are talking about) and none of them can fly the B377. It MUST be wrong???? If airliners were THAT hard to fly we would all be walking everywhere by now????

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Oh, for any new A2A users / customers....kind of a running gag here re the Spitfire.....

(Ok Lewis, I'm going to lock myself back in the basement now, feel free to delete my account :) :) )
:lol: :lol: I was thinking about the Spitfire with regard to the cooling issues.
I've read a lot about the difficulty in flying the Spitfire which is why I won't get accu som with it when I buy it :) What would be REALLY funny is if the base model had the same reality with it too........... :shock: :D
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Scott - A2A wrote:Yes, the 377 has not one but four rows of cylinders.

This is a very hot engine even when flying normally, so you can see how rapid this would overheat if one was ever so negligent to take off with cowl flaps closed.

In Tim Choppe's own words, who owns and operates both a Dougles C54 (DC-4) and a Boeing C97 (377), "The C97 is a tiger whereas the Douglas is a kitten. This is because the C97 is always trying to kill you and your crew." On the ladder of challenge and complexity, the 377 is on the very top.

Your margins are small so you have to always bring your A game.

A few things to know:
- Let Larry the engineer manage the systems
- ADI = ON
- Crews reports up (SHIFT-2)
- Don't hold brakes on takeoff, just slowly increase to takeoff power
- Reduce power soon after takeoff
- Never let the plane get slow (don't pull power too fast and start sinking)
- Keep the climb shallow and fast as necessary to keep those engines cool

Once this thing gets on it's way, it's all pretty straight forward.

Scott.
Hi Scott,
I made the mistake of letting it slow and no matter how much power I put back into the engines I could not recover from the stall and into the drink I went ! :shock:

Stupid me !

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Styggron wrote: On my first flight first take off I had 4 fires ROFL
On my third flight, I had one fire whilst taxiing ! LOL :O

All good now, no more fires but I don't have the ADI pump on, should I ? I hit the 4 switches but not the pump.
Yes as the checklist says the ADI pimp is supposed to be switched on for takeoff and go around or when you use very high power. You'll have to turn that on yourself since Larry your flight engineer can't reach the switch (it's in the overhead center console of the captain)!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Styggron wrote: I've read a lot about the difficulty in flying the Spitfire which is why I won't get accu som with it when I buy it :) What would be REALLY funny is if the base model had the same reality with it too........... :shock: :D
The Spitfire is not hard to fly at all. In fact I would say it is a lot easier to fly then the Mustang. You just need to keep a close eye on those temperatures and don't waste a lot of time on the ground. Start up taxi out when minimum temps are reached runup and takeoff. Then accelerate and keep the speed above 180mph and you'll be all set. The Spitfire is a joy to fly!

Well and if the base model had the same reality then it wouldn't really make sense to by the Accusim pack would it? :wink:

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Piper_EEWL wrote:
Styggron wrote: I've read a lot about the difficulty in flying the Spitfire which is why I won't get accu som with it when I buy it :) What would be REALLY funny is if the base model had the same reality with it too........... :shock: :D
The Spitfire is not hard to fly at all. In fact I would say it is a lot easier to fly then the Mustang. You just need to keep a close eye on those temperatures and don't waste a lot of time on the ground. Start up taxi out when minimum temps are reached runup and takeoff. Then accelerate and keep the speed above 180mph and you'll be all set. The Spitfire is a joy to fly!

Well and if the base model had the same reality then it wouldn't really make sense to by the Accusim pack would it? :wink:
Excellent so for this plane where I want less reality, I won't get the add on. hopefully if I mess up on the ground because there is less reality, the overheating will not be modelled, or at least not as accurately. This is perfect if this is the case. There is no one I can ask that has this without accu sim. I will be the first. :shock:

Looking at A2A's Spitfire page, the list of features without accu sim are huge so I'll be fine. On the accu-sim version of the page it talks about managing all the heat and as I don't want to do that....... :)

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”