No throttle control after reverse

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: No throttle control after reverse

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Ok guys,

I did some testing at the gate last night and it worked as it was supposed to. Throttle got stuck once but weirdly with releasing the parking brake it came back to life :? . I then got the plane all ready for the flight, taxied out to the runway did the run up and decided to through the reverse motions again. And then it happened again. Throttles got stuck in the idle position and I was only able to move them backwards into reverse. I didn't touch my joystick throttle, held F3 down for an extended amount of time, tried everything you guys suggested but I was not able to get the throttle back into normal range. So I had to put the plane back into Cold&Dark and start over :roll: Well at least I get some practice on setting stuff up :wink:

I guess I'll have to live without the reversers for now.

Thanks anyways.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

No throttle control after reverse

Post by Jacques »

molleh wrote:I can confirm there is some type of wonkiness with the thrust reverse. It's just really glitchy in general - if I press and hold F2 while looking at the throttles, they do move backwards but very glitchy/jerky. Pressing F1 for throttle cut (which should move them back to idle) does nothing, pressing my joystick button for cut throttle does nothing, pressing my joystick button for advance throttle does nothing. The only thing that works is the default F2/F3 keys.
I tried this at my favorite ( KEDW :D ) and found that if you were not moving, with the parking brake set, throttles full back and F1 to be sure, when pressing F2 to bring the throttles back... they wouldn't. They just sat there and chattered right on the edge of the ramp.

If you took the parking brake off, still stationary, they would chatter, then hop over the ramp and reverse.

Moving down the runway at 100 kts, they behaved normally.

Molleh, pressing F1 when you have the throttles advanced with a joystick will only bring them back as long as you hold F1, and when you release the button the throttles move back up to where your joystick throttle has commanded them.

I do agree with you that they are, or seem to be, really jittery in animation. Mine were jittery before but...honestly, aside from practicing this, I don't look at them when landing so it doesn't bother me as long as they work properly!

I'll do some more fying around tomorrow to see if I can replicate what you are seeing!

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

I tested with no joysticks connected at all, same problems.

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

The reverse throttle problem is well documented through the years for the B377. I hope the update will fix it. Someone discovered that if you put the parking brake on and then release it the throttles will then work normally. However it is a bit odd to have to stop your taxi to but the parking brake on just to get the throttles functioning correctly. The throttles should go into reverse smoothly and just as smoothly come out of reverse and back into normal mode operation. For many people this absolutely doesn't happen. Also, if you program your joysticks to have a mid range beyond which they will go into reverse and then return to forward motion when moved forward why should you have to put them in a neutral position, hit F1, and then push and hold F3 to get the throttles to move forward? The reverse throttle problem is the most irritating and irrational thing on such a great aircraft and it is the one disappointment I have with A2A because they have not fixed the problem. I have all of their aircraft except 2 and this is the only complaint I have about any of them. The B377 is my favorite aircraft of all the A2A aircraft and this problem just bugs me to no end.

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

This reverse thrust issue does not effect everyone. I have never seen it and the same
goes for many others. Something like this is difficult, at best, for a programmer to track
down if they can not reproduce the problem. I believe that is the case here.

Paul

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

One other point to add, putting the props into reverse really stops this aircraft quickly, at least for me. Unless the strip is really short, I just gradually apply and release the brakes. That usually does the job.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Jacques wrote:One other point to add, putting the props into reverse really stops this aircraft quickly, at least for me. Unless the strip is really short, I just gradually apply and release the brakes. That usually does the job.
Yes that's true Jacques. But it sure would be nice if the reverse function would be usable since I think it's a cool feature especially for a propliner.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

Gypsy Baron wrote:This reverse thrust issue does not effect everyone. I have never seen it and the same
goes for many others. Something like this is difficult, at best, for a programmer to track
down if they can not reproduce the problem. I believe that is the case here.
Paul
Hi Paul, you are fortunate not to have walked a mile in my shoes with the reverse thrust bug. Even though it is an intermittent bug and not easily reproducible, this is not an excuse to not put effort into tracking it down and staying on it like a bulldog until it is found and eradicated.
Mike

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

O oh !

Same problem as described by Piper_EEWL, am also stuck without reversers else they get stuck.

Worried that it is still a problem after so long. Is a fix coming ??
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Ok just did a series of tests.
In every example, the second I try reverse thrust, I can never get throttle control back.

I did a lovely fly and land......well a bumpy landing but still.......and to get back to the gates I had to slew, I didn't realise the second you slew career mode goes off so everything was lost on that flight sadly.... :(

Tried the F keys, tried people's suggestions on here (the brake) but no good :(

I can't ever touch reverse thrust because I will lose all throttle control if I do.
Tried from the engineer's station as well no good.

A major issue really. Landing without the reversers means I will always go right off the runway on short runways and the passengers are not happy :(

Lets hope A2A can pop in and give us a sitrep and hopefully a fix.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Sorry about that, Styggron. I just have to say that I also had trouble until I loaded in at Edwards and did run after run after run until it was second nature. The strip is long enough that you can build enough speed to effectively simulate a landing.
I understand from the posts that some of you report the procedure never works, and I can't really answer to that because it works for me on, probably, five different new installs.

I'm sure once they get the constel going there will be benefits for the Strat-- maybe this will be one of them! And a bit deeper wear model and maintenance hanger for the engines, and a,,,,

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Jacques wrote:Sorry about that, Styggron. I just have to say that I also had trouble until I loaded in at Edwards and did run after run after run until it was second nature. The strip is long enough that you can build enough speed to effectively simulate a landing.
I understand from the posts that some of you report the procedure never works, and I can't really answer to that because it works for me on, probably, five different new installs.

I'm sure once they get the constel going there will be benefits for the Strat-- maybe this will be one of them! And a bit deeper wear model and maintenance hanger for the engines, and a,,,,
PROGRESS:
Ok this is odd but I tried it a few times and it SEEMS to work.............

1. hit the reversers
2. hold F3 to get them back
3. throttle will jam
4. engage and release the CONTROL LOCK (not the brake) but do it TWICE (once is not enough for me)
5. Try to increase throttle but NOT with the joystick, keyboard only. If you look at the throttle it stutters a little, if you see that, it is good news, then F3 and slowly engage.

I just tried the pulling the CONTROL LOCK twice and saw the throttle flicker. Game me some hope.

Tried this a few times, I don't know if it will work for Piper_EEW but it *seems* to work for me. At least with 4 tests. I tried at parking, at the gate, at the runway and in a landing.

I sooooooo hope we can fix it for Piper_EEW

UPDATE
Method inconsistent. I just threw away a nice 3 hour flight for nothing when I could not engage the throttle again! Not happy !
This time the CONTROL LOCK itself Jammed !!!! :shock: :shock:
Last edited by Styggron on 24 Jun 2016, 19:39, edited 2 times in total.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Thanks for the tips Styggron.

What do you mean by engage and release the brakes? Do you engage the parking brake and release it or just the "normal" brake? Also do you engage it via a keyboard shortcut or in the virtual cockpit.

It seems like I got some more testing to do...

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Piper_EEWL wrote:Thanks for the tips Styggron.

What do you mean by engage and release the brakes? Do you engage the parking brake and release it or just the "normal" brake? Also do you engage it via a keyboard shortcut or in the virtual cockpit.

It seems like I got some more testing to do...
I do apologise in my haste I was not specific.

The control lock is what I mean not the brake sorry.... I mean as in the virtual cockpit, the one at the very front to the right of the pilot. I click on it to pull it out then click on it to put it back in.

When you go into reverse thrust and then F3, the throttle will be stuck. I got the same problem and I can make it happen consistently. What I do then is pull the control, let it go and then try to move the throttle with the keys of course ensuring the reverse gear is disengaged. You know this is thecase when the quadrant moves a little to the right....

[UPDATE: The control lock also jams preventing you from using thing method to release the throttle]

Normally, it would still be stuck, but if I pull the brake again and release I find it stutters a little and then is usuable again. By stutters, the quadrant almost disappears and reappears very very very rapidly for a few blinks.

I really hope this helps. It is about time *I* helped someone out. Everyone is always helping me. :)
Last edited by Styggron on 24 Jun 2016, 19:30, edited 3 times in total.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Ok. Thanks for clarifying. I'll give that a try and will report back.

Thanks for the help!

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”