No throttle control after reverse

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
Styggron
Master Sergeant

Re: No throttle control after reverse

Post by Styggron »

Piper_EEWL wrote:Ok. Thanks for clarifying. I'll give that a try and will report back.

Thanks for the help!
You're welcome. I discovered it today TOTALLY by accident. I was watching the throttle quadrant and when I pulled the brake up it "Stuttered" so I did it twice, and did F3 and it eventually loosened.

If it does not work I will write an EXACT procedure of what I do. I really hope it works for you. Reversers are a must. Without them I overshoot the runway by a looooong way. :shock:

[UPDATE]
The problem remains. Control lock often JAMS as well preventing you to do the trick.
Last edited by Styggron on 24 Jun 2016, 19:30, edited 2 times in total.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

STOP THE PRESS

Sadly, the problem remains.

I did a long flight and it was completely ruined by the fact that after the reverses went on, I could not restore throttle control again. The control lock "trick" did not work because the control lock ITSELF jammed and would not move.

I had a plane full of passengers and I could not do anything. my co pilots were warning me I had to increase throttle.
=Tried the F keys no good (yes did F1 first)
=Tried my trick with the control lock but it too was jammed
=Tried the brake no good

So entire flight wasted. Only thing I could do is cold and dark and that turfs out all my passengers so 3 hour flight completely wasted.

NOT happy.

PLEASE A2A, can you weigh in on this. You pride yourselves in outstanding customer service, we've heard nothing but the best customer experiences, please can we have some information re this issue.
Last edited by Styggron on 24 Jun 2016, 19:43, edited 3 times in total.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Try a quick on/off toggle of the Emergency Brake. I believe that was what folks that suffer from
this issue found to be what allows the throttles to regain function.

Paul

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

No throttle control after reverse

Post by Jacques »

Styggron, It's not the control lock, its the parking brake! I haven't tried the emergency brake, Paul. I could take it out for a test to see, I guess.

I still do not have this problem, however. I know it is maddening, but if you have your hardware throttle anywhere but full back you can press F2 and F3 all day and the throttles will never move over the ramp. And unless you press and "hold" F2 and F3, the levers will not move far enough to travel over and back across the ramp.

If, for some reason you can't get the throttles back into the normal range, make sure the throttle is full back, let the Strat stop, pull the parking brake and release it, then move your throttles forward.
Last edited by Jacques on 24 Jun 2016, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Jacques wrote:Styggron, It's not the control lock, its the parking brake! I haven't tried the emergency brake, Paul. I could take it out for a test to see, I guess.

I still do not have this problem, however. I know it is maddening, but if you have your hardware throttle anywhere but full back you can press F2 and F3 all day and the throttles will never move over the ramp. And unless you press and "hold" F2 and F3, the levers will not move far enough to travel over and back across the ramp.

If, for some reason you can't get the throttles back into the normal range, make sure the throttle is full back, let the Strat stop, pull the parking brake and release it, then move your throttles forward.
Hello Jacques

I know it is the brake but the first time I tried the parking brake did nothing but the control lock *did*. When I used the control lock it made the throttle stutter. This time though, it was jammed and not clickable. I tried the brake still to no avail.

Respectfully, people keep repeating to press and hold F2 and F3, and use F1, and to have the hardware throttle full back, we have done this. I need to make this perfectly clear.

It does not work for myself and from his posts, does not seem to work for Piper.

Only thing I did not try is turning the engines off.

I'm not going to try another 3 hour flight because if it happens I will really get upset. I'll jump in now and run some more tests. I'll slew to a landing point, do a landing and see if I can make it happen again but this time as you say "let the strat stop" and by that I gather you mean the engines, ie by moving the red levers to minimum.

Thank you for weighing in to try to help, it is indeed a MOST frustrating issue.

I have contacted A2A as I would feel much more confident if they would weigh in on this thread. What scared me is another person on this thread saying it is a well documented issue (or words to that effect) and thus I am surprised it is still there. Yes bugs are hard and if you can't replicate the issue even harder but the facts remain, this reverses is still an issue for some and it is really marring our enjoyment of this excellent product.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

In the meantime, you can continue with your flights but don't use reversers when landing.
Cheers
Trev

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

What I meant by coming to a stop is the aircraft coming to a stop, not the engines. You are stuck in reverse, the aircraft will stop, activate the parking brake, release it and your throttles should be back in normal range.

Well, I guess the reason I keep weighing in is because I could not figure out the reverse process myself when I first got the 377. Even when I read about using F1 through F3, I couldn't get it to work in practice. So, I practiced alot, running up and down Edwards AFB and destroying engines until I got the sequence correct. The beauty of a simulation is you can reset a situation, you don't have to do a flight to practice this, you just have to be moving at 100 knots, or less. But you should be moving.

With regards to F2, you don't need to hold it long, just until the props change pitch, which is clearly audible. When you press and hold F3 then they should jump back over the ramp and keep moving forward, then take over with your hardware throttle.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Jacques wrote:What I meant by coming to a stop is the aircraft coming to a stop, not the engines. You are stuck in reverse, the aircraft will stop, activate the parking brake, release it and your throttles should be back in normal range.

Well, I guess the reason I keep weighing in is because I could not figure out the reverse process myself when I first got the 377. Even when I read about using F1 through F3, I couldn't get it to work in practice. So, I practiced alot, running up and down Edwards AFB and destroying engines until I got the sequence correct. The beauty of a simulation is you can reset a situation, you don't have to do a flight to practice this, you just have to be moving at 100 knots, or less. But you should be moving.

With regards to F2, you don't need to hold it long, just until the props change pitch, which is clearly audible. When you press and hold F3 then they should jump back over the ramp and keep moving forward, then take over with your hardware throttle.
Hello Jacques,
Your help is greatly appreciated. Either way, A2A need to really fix it because you should be able to move the throttles they should not stick.......

Re your solution, the aircraft *was* at a stop.

As I have to keep saying though, the suggestions do not seem to work. We know about the keys, we know about holding it.

I can absolutely see why you are saying it. Because you had the same issue with the keys not working so you are trying to help us because the problem matches. Sadly though, it doesn't seem to work :(

I tried holding F2 for a full 10 seconds even. :(

You can see it jump over the ramp but they do NOT move forward.
Like we keep saying they are stuck and it ruins the experience with the B377 at present.

Ok lets try to COPY your exact sequence, so after you hit reverses what exactly do you do, include key timings (approx)

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

How have you got your throttle levers assigned?
I believe the issue lies in the conflict of control axis/key bindings.

I use 2 sets of Saitek quadrants.
I normally have 4 levers assigned to four engine throttles with F2 into reverse and F3 out of reverse.
Sometimes I also use Lever 1 pulled down to Button 21 (assigned to F2) as reverse and lever 2 pulled down to Button 22 (assigned to F3) as out of reverse, but is not so successful.

However for simplicity with this test I assigned all throttles to one lever. and used F2 and F3.
To be absolutely clear, the assignment was called 'Throttle axis' in the control axis tab, not any of the individual Engine # throttle axis assignments.
(##Critical##) Ensure there are no other controllers or other axis linked to the throttle levers. ie rudder/yoke/joystick controllers.) This is where the majority of problems come from as users are unaware of settings.
There are times when the throttles stick, so I know there is an issue. The trick is to identify the issue and resolve the problem.

I just ran a test sitting at the end of the runway stationary. The location of the aircraft has no bearing on the outcome of this test, be it at the runway or parked, as some previous posts had alluded to.
There is no requirement to land or even be at speed for beta to function. Things happen too quickly if the plane is at speed to do any significant analysis of the issue. Best to conduct these tests in a calm and rational manner in a controlled environment.

So, to begin with a stationary aircraft, and throttle lever at idle, F2 moved the throttles over the hump into reverse and F3 back into normal range.
However, if I use the lever 1 and pull back into Button 21 (F2 assigned) it jumps at the gate and doesn't work. The F2 key works still. I think there is a conflict of control information here.
If the throttle levers are more than the idle position and F2 is used, a conflict of throttle position is sometimes experienced by conflict of F2 and throttle lever information.
F1 wont work if the levers are in Beta. F3 must be used to get back into normal range before F1 can be used if desired.
F3 must be held in as it gets to the gate and jumps for about a second before proceeding into normal range.
F2 wont work with the park brake on. It will work with normal application of the brake pedals. Surface lock has no bearing on F2.
When doing a speed test down the runway and F2 is successfully activated, on continuous application of F3 you will see the RPM gauges reduce to idle, pause for 1 second and then proceed to increase. I tend to continue the increase up to 1200 RPM to get a positive return out of beta before using the throttles again.
Application of brakes before or during the F2 operation has no bearing on the function of F2 into beta. travelling at 50 knots I did 2 tests, the first with F2 application and then brakes, the second with brakes first and then F2, with no difference in outcome.
I managed to go through full beta, out of beta, back into beta, and out again all with application of brakes, release, application again and release of brakes. Both are independent of each other.
I also used the A2A C377 input configurator and assigned left and right engines to 2 throttle levers, with the same results.

So, the function of beta range with F2 and F3 is there.
The issue points back to controls and the setup.

I hope this post removes much of the misinformation that is going around and that the plane is not broken.
Cheers
Trev

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

TreeTops wrote:How have you got your throttle levers assigned?
I believe the issue lies in the conflict of control axis/key bindings.

I use 2 sets of Saitek quadrants.
I normally have 4 levers assigned to four engine throttles with F2 into reverse and F3 out of reverse.
Sometimes I also use Lever 1 pulled down to Button 21 (assigned to F2) as reverse and lever 2 pulled down to Button 22 (assigned to F3) as out of reverse, but is not so successful.

However for simplicity with this test I assigned all throttles to one lever. and used F2 and F3.
To be absolutely clear, the assignment was called 'Throttle axis' in the control axis tab, not any of the individual Engine # throttle axis assignments.
(##Critical##) Ensure there are no other controllers or other axis linked to the throttle levers. ie rudder/yoke/joystick controllers.) This is where the majority of problems come from as users are unaware of settings.
There are times when the throttles stick, so I know there is an issue. The trick is to identify the issue and resolve the problem.

I just ran a test sitting at the end of the runway stationary. The location of the aircraft has no bearing on the outcome of this test, be it at the runway or parked, as some previous posts had alluded to.
There is no requirement to land or even be at speed for beta to function. Things happen too quickly if the plane is at speed to do any significant analysis of the issue. Best to conduct these tests in a calm and rational manner in a controlled environment.

So, to begin with a stationary aircraft, and throttle lever at idle, F2 moved the throttles over the hump into reverse and F3 back into normal range.
However, if I use the lever 1 and pull back into Button 21 (F2 assigned) it jumps at the gate and doesn't work. The F2 key works still. I think there is a conflict of control information here.
If the throttle levers are more than the idle position and F2 is used, a conflict of throttle position is sometimes experienced by conflict of F2 and throttle lever information.
F1 wont work if the levers are in Beta. F3 must be used to get back into normal range before F1 can be used if desired.
F3 must be held in as it gets to the gate and jumps for about a second before proceeding into normal range.
F2 wont work with the park brake on. It will work with normal application of the brake pedals. Surface lock has no bearing on F2.
When doing a speed test down the runway and F2 is successfully activated, on continuous application of F3 you will see the RPM gauges reduce to idle, pause for 1 second and then proceed to increase. I tend to continue the increase up to 1200 RPM to get a positive return out of beta before using the throttles again.
Application of brakes before or during the F2 operation has no bearing on the function of F2 into beta. travelling at 50 knots I did 2 tests, the first with F2 application and then brakes, the second with brakes first and then F2, with no difference in outcome.
I managed to go through full beta, out of beta, back into beta, and out again all with application of brakes, release, application again and release of brakes. Both are independent of each other.
I also used the A2A C377 input configurator and assigned left and right engines to 2 throttle levers, with the same results.

So, the function of beta range with F2 and F3 is there.
The issue points back to controls and the setup.

I hope this post removes much of the misinformation that is going around and that the plane is not broken.
Hello Treetops.
All I have is a joystick and before I commented here, I unplugged the joystick completely and still got the same issues so it wouldn't be the joystick surely ? Already looked at the configurator, nothing is amiss there.

As Piper and I wrote, things just "jam up".

I just did a few more tests, sometimes the parking brake trick works sometimes it does not. :( Trying to get some consistency with tests but it does not always work.

As we said, we ensure it does jump to the normal range but like we keep repeating over and over. It still freezes and nothing makes it work save *sometimes* engaging and releasing the brake. Please forgive me here but I have to keep saying the same thing here. We know the levers need to engage back to the right area as I wrote above, you see them do this but everything is still "frozen". Yes we know you need to hold down the keys, people keep repeating this over and over. I don't understand how else to say we have done all of this already as per our posts. :cry:

Excellent that it works for you treetops but it does not work for Piper and myself and others. :(

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

I have asked Scott to jump in.

Lets hear what he says because going around in circles with same suggestions is profligate. Sure it may work for some but not others. For me sometimes the brake trick works but it does not seem consistent.

Thanks for helping out people :) With A2A's help we'll get there and Piper and I and others will be able to get those reverses going consistently :)

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Guys, I may have dropped the ball on this one. We have some files to test for those who are able to reproduce this thrust reverser issue. Just PM me if you want to test.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Scott - A2A wrote:Guys, I may have dropped the ball on this one. We have some files to test for those who are able to reproduce this thrust reverser issue. Just PM me if you want to test.

Scott.
Hi Scott.
I fly the B377 a lot. 3-5 times a week approx 3-5 hours. I'll PM you now. Happy to help test.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Scott - A2A wrote:Guys, I may have dropped the ball on this one. We have some files to test for those who are able to reproduce this thrust reverser issue. Just PM me if you want to test.

Scott.
PM sent.

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Initial testing done and it seems to work. :D awesome!

Scott please see PM
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”