Boeing 377 CotS Engines Wont Start

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
liver44
Airman Basic

Boeing 377 CotS Engines Wont Start

Post by liver44 »

Hello,

I had a similar problem a while ago and I cant seem to fix it ,the engines do not auto start or fsx start, I dont manual start or know how. When you press auto start No1 fires up to idle for about 5 seconds then cuts out. can anyone advise?.

I have tried it with both Automixture on and off

Thanks

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Boeing 377 CotS Engines Wont Start

Post by Tomas Linnet »

maybe they start on primer only? Mixture levers needs to set correctly. It's been a while since I flew my B377, so I can't remember the engine start procedure. What if you do a autostart?
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

liver44
Airman Basic

Post by liver44 »

Hi, Mixture levers are on auto (not sure what you mean by primer only), and as I said above, the problem is that it wont autostart.

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

liver44 wrote:Hi, Mixture levers are on auto (not sure what you mean by primer only), and as I said above, the problem is that it wont autostart.
Did you check the FSX setting. Automixture must be unticked in the "Realism Settings" FSX menu, but the levers in the Virtual Cockpit must be set to "auto Rich"
Just to make sure we are talking about the same "Auto mixture" functions.

I'm not sure if the B377 will start on primer(the fuel you squirt in the cylinders, by pressing the "Prime Button" or moving the handle in the T6) only, many of the newer Accu-Sim aircraft will do that.

Also please make sure you have the latest Accu-Sim update: http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 29&t=41279
Last edited by Tomas Linnet on 11 May 2016, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

How are your throttles, fuel etc all set?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

liver44 wrote:Hi, Mixture levers are on auto (not sure what you mean by primer only), and as I said above, the problem is that it wont autostart.
Same. I don't think it's as easy as pressing auto start on the panel oddly enough. :(
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

rosariomanzo
Staff Sergeant

Post by rosariomanzo »

Crank the throttles a bit, about 1 inch. Then, try autostart.
Ros

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

rosariomanzo wrote:Crank the throttles a bit, about 1 inch. Then, try autostart.
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of you. Autostart was the first thing I tried ;)

I can't start them manually. You prime, press the start and then the boost, it fires up then just stops. Yes the magnetos are set to both on that engine too so unsure what it is. I have auto flight engineer so they do all the other stuff I have no idea on yet.

I found the problem with autostart now though, I have to have the mags set to both then autostart works. You'd think autostart would do that though, hence the point of auto start :)

Can't find how to turn on the GPS 500 either :( (yes I know the B377 did not have one but I would like it)

Going to try the startup procedures this person used. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9HsdXeSYuQ
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109

rosariomanzo
Staff Sergeant

Post by rosariomanzo »

Styggron wrote: Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of you. Autostart was the first thing I tried ;)
Sorry for misunderstanding. I thought the OP was unable to autostart.

Is the master switch on? How is OAT? Are mixture levers in Full Rich position?
Ros

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

rosariomanzo wrote:
Styggron wrote: Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of you. Autostart was the first thing I tried ;)
Sorry for misunderstanding. I thought the OP was unable to autostart.

Is the master switch on? How is OAT? Are mixture levers in Full Rich position?
It's cool, yes you were replying to the OP, I just had the same problem.

Yep :) The auto flight engineer did all that. The OAT ? sorry don't know what that is. Mixture levels are fine.
I would say it was probably because I did not have the magneto set to both AND I need to let the prop rotate I think 5 times before hitting boost. To A2A's testament, it all has to be done properly....

I'll keep at it. I have to say, it is fun............. :)

rosariomanzo
Staff Sergeant

Post by rosariomanzo »

OAT is outside ambient temp. If it's too cold, engines may need some extra "care", such as oil dilution, or more priming.
In normal temperatures i use to:
- prime 5/6 strokes
- press start
- while prop rotates, i prime 5/6 strokes again
- press boost and keep it presses until engine is alive.
Ros

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

If you ever have doubts or trouble starting, give the engineer's panel to Larry the engineer, and let him prepare the airplane. Then if it starts, there was something he did that made the difference. Possibly fuel related.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Scott - A2A wrote:If you ever have doubts or trouble starting, give the engineer's panel to Larry the engineer, and let him prepare the airplane. Then if it starts, there was something he did that made the difference. Possibly fuel related.

Scott.
Hello Scott,
I always have Larry on but nothing seems to work. Been trying to start the plane now for an hour and I am really frustrated with it to be honest.

CTRL-E does not do anything, the first engine does not catch on. Auto start also does not do anything. I checked the mags they are all there.

This is what I do
1. Load cold and dark
2. turn on flight engineer everything bar the keep manifold pressure option
3. Wait till he is finished and reports he is done
4. Set to auto rich (also tried full rich)
5. Put up throttle a little (tried variants, to more and more)
6. Prime 4-5 pushes (tried with 1 then 2 then 3 then 4 then 5)
7. Press start, let engine turn 5-7 times
8. Press the boost holding it down

All that happens is the engine never catches, it just spins down
Checked FE fuel panel all looks good but he should know what he's doing there.

:(

I installed the latest Accu Sim update even though there does not seem to be updates for the B377 in the changelog.

No change.

:(

rosariomanzo
Staff Sergeant

Post by rosariomanzo »

Did you run the updater? Which fsx version are you running?

Inviato dal mio SM-J500FN utilizzando Tapatalk
Ros

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

rosariomanzo wrote:Did you run the updater? Which fsx version are you running?

Inviato dal mio SM-J500FN utilizzando Tapatalk
I think you missed my post above when I wrote I installed the latest accu sim. :)
I'm running FSX Acceleration

One thing I also noticed.
1. The FE does not always do things properly sadly. One time he did NOT set the mags hence auto start would not work nor CTRL-E

This is a pity because "auto start" should set everything correctly to start the engines but I'm afraid this is not the case. I understand it is a simulator but auto start makes things more accessible, sadly though, does not always work. I got it working once only but not consistently.

Obviously the FE is always not doing things correctly hence my start up procedure rarely works. I need to quit, reload a few times and hope he does everything correctly. I understand no two flights are the same but it's VERY frustrating. :(
This is why future craft I won't buy them with accu-sim, well older ones at least because new ones accu sim comes with it sadly.

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”