Losing torque pressure on Engines 1&2 on Climb

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
Blaze69
Airman Basic

Post by Blaze69 »

I searched and found another user who had a similar problem but I think he just gave up so I am hoping someone can help me find a solution. I've had the Strat for a long time so I am familiar with most of its operation and seeing the posts of others who have had success with it in P3dv3.2 I decided to return to the big ship. I downloaded a fresh copy from Simmarket and installed it and then COTS as an administrator. I updated the Accusim package as well and interestingly enough it did not recognize the WOS B377 but it did recognize COTS and updated it accordingly. (Perhaps this is the reason for my issue or possibly linked to it?)

The problem I am having is repeatable and it occurs whether I take the FE seat or hand it off to the AI Engineer prior to take off.

Everything appears normal engines overhauled and in good health nice take off and initial climb but at or around 15 K I'll start seeing the torque pressure fall off of engines 1 & 2 it does so at the same rate of decay and will continue to fall off as altitude is increased until I am unable to climb and basically have a rudder hard-over to maintain track. It's essentially made it impossible to fly. Icing ad using the H key and/or Anti ice does nothing to correct the issue.

I understand that I am trying to use it in an unsupported platform but perhaps someone has seen this behavior before and can help me get it sorted as I don't believe it's linked to or associated with using it in P3d.

Thanks in Advance I love the Strat and hope that someday we might see another WOS project get released.

V/R,
Robert

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Losing torque pressure on Engines 1&2 on Climb

Post by Scott - A2A »

Is there any other system or gauges you see showing differently in engines 1 and 2 when this happens?

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Blaze69
Airman Basic

Post by Blaze69 »

I'm not sure what your asking but Manifold Pressure, Prop RPM, Temps all look normal (showing similar readings to what is displaying for Engines 3 & 4).

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Can you reproduce this problem on demand or does it only happen intermittently? And is it always the #1 and #2 engine together? Do you happen to know where that other post is with another user experiencing the same thing?

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Blaze69
Airman Basic

Post by Blaze69 »

his is the thread I was talking about...
https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 80&t=45715

I can try it again but I'm 0-3 on my flights so yes I am able to reproduce this each flight. It's always engine one and two and perhaps it's not exactly the same situation as the linked thread but it does sound similar to what I am experiencing. BTW the torque pressure decays gradually it doesn't just fall away at a given altitude.

Got any Ideas or something I can try?

Blaze69
Airman Basic

Post by Blaze69 »

Tried an uninstall and fresh re-install but the problem persists.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

This seems like an internal FSX bug or a bug being triggered in our software by a corrupt variable. But I suspect this is something in FSX crashing, namely, the internal control over engine's 1 and 2.

Try re-installing SimConnect here, then reboot the PC:
http://a2asimulations.com/public/downlo ... onnect.msi

If this doesn't fix it, try temporarily disabling any other 3rd party addons, especially something like FSUIPC.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Blaze69
Airman Basic

Post by Blaze69 »

I appreciate the effort I ran the simconnct.msi from my desktop and rebooted but it didn't help. Will try the FSUIPC option shortly and report back.

Chrjs
Airman

Post by Chrjs »

Ok. I have to add in here. I have the exact same problem. Doing the FE myself I lose torque. For me it is even on all 4 engines. Today I was only able to climb to 11500ft, MAP was 50, RPM2550 and torque on all 4 engines around 50-70. I almost stalled.
All engine parameters were in the green, no special display telling me something was wrong. Even handing the controls over to the FE didn't help. Im flying in P3D3.2 and I have set my controls through FSUIPC. Btw, the joystick configurator doesn't work for me as well. Even though it recognizes my hardware (Saitek Yoke and throttle, Saitek rudder pedals) and I can set up the controls in the configurator, it has no effect in the sim (even after hitting update).

I hope this can be solved! Thanks for your help!

Chrjs
Airman

Post by Chrjs »

Unfortunately, no one seems to answer. I still have the problem that I cant go higher than around FL110. My torque keeps dropping and i cannot climb anymore. I made the following screenshot of the situation. Total weight was around 104000lbs (fuel 14000lbs). The throttle was almost fully open, turbo around 21%. For this test no external weather program was used. Can somebody tell me whether these readings are normal or did I do something wrong or expect something unrealistic?

thanks for your help

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Nothing really amiss here as far as wrong settings.
Turbos are above 2 which is good for pressurisation.
Temperatures are pretty cool which means the engines aren't working very hard and you can see this with the torque gauges reading approx. 80. It should be up in the 197 range in the climb.
To increase torque reduce prop rpm, currently at 2250 can be reduced as required to produced desired torque reading.
Manifold pressure is high and should be reduced to climb settings of approx 47. Check SHFT 2 panel for recommended values.
They other thing to watch is that all four sets of gauges read approximately the same, and in this case is good. A gauge reading significantly different to the others indicates something needs attention.
Cheers
Trev

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Are you flying the "guppy" variant? Sorry, that was an uneccesary question, I just looked at the picture you linked. I don't use P3D so I cant't really help you with regards to that. You know that as P3D progresses, native FSX planes start breaking down. You have run the latest update?
Last edited by Jacques on 26 Jun 2016, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

Chrjs
Airman

Post by Chrjs »

No, it's the normal pax version

I then entered cruise at fl 115. But reducing rpm to 2300 and manifold to around 46 raised torque to around 110, still too low isn't it?

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Yes, still too low.Just for comparison: my figures for a weight of 104000 at 11500'-- 50" MAP and 2350 RPM with the turbo at 21% ...I'm developing 177 pounds of torque, my cylinder and carb temps are almost out of the normal range and I'm flying at a nose down attitude at 218 knots.

Could this be P3D not doing so well with a complex native FSX aircraft?

Welsch
Staff Sergeant

Post by Welsch »

What happens if you hand the panel over to the engineer (FE, pressurization, turbos)? Does that cure the problem? If yes, can you spot what the AI engineer is doing/changing? Maybe the turbo setting? It seems unreasonably low, given that you have such low torque.

So a thing for you to try while on manual: for climb set 2350 rpm, a MP around 46" with the throttle, then adjust turbo lever until you hit 197 on the torque meter. Hold it here by increasing turbos while you climb. If turbo temps go up too much (>110°), increase throttle a bit, then reduce turbos accordingly until you are back at the 197 torque value again. Turbo temps should go down, engine temps up - manage them with cowl flaps or more speed (while you still have that option at lower levels).

Your target value is always torque. You change turbo and/or throttle setting to keep it at 197 while climbing. Whenever you either run out of throttle or turbo to keep up torque, can't keep up your speed while maintaining at least 500ft/min or some temps become unmanageably high, you have reached your max alt for your current weight and conditions and should level off and reduce power to cruise settings.

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”