B377 elec fuel pump pressure atrophy -- cold weather start

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
new reply
jbirdsal
Airman

B377 elec fuel pump pressure atrophy -- cold weather start

Post by jbirdsal »

Gentlemen:
B377 COTS behavior has me flummoxed. I'll start a cold weather scenario and shut down the engines, leaving the ship on APU power. As I sit, waiting for GSX servicing to complete, cylinder oil & carb temps rapidly fall toward 0*c (like they are supposed to). The problem is when I go to restart -- fuel pressure off of the electric fuel pump is approx. 1/3 normal level, and is not sufficient to start the aircraft. Reloading, I discovered that the electric fuel pump pressure atrophies at approximately the same rate as the oil temperature cools. Bizarrely, selecting "cold start" seems to reset the atrophy -- immediately turning on the elec fuel pump produces normal pressure, but the pressure again falls with temperature unless I immediately start. Turning ASN off and allowing temperatures to "normalize" to 15*c immediately produces a corrective effect; fuel pump pressure rises.

Is this a bug? Impact of temperature on oil pressure to this magnitude is understandable (albeit in the opposite direction -- pressure should rise as temperature drops and the oil becomes less viscous) but the impact of temperature on fuel pressure from the electric fuel pump to the carburetor nozzle inlet should not be impacted by temperature.

Thoughts?

Starting at 0*c at Gander, RAM, heat off (until/unless started), APU assist electrics, battery/ignition/avionics on, fuel tank-eng, mixture full rich, elec boost pump on. Everything appears to work like it should except that fuel pressure is way below normal.

Cheers,

Jason

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: B377 elec fuel pump pressure atrophy -- cold weather sta

Post by Scott - A2A »

Jason,

I'll check this out. However, can you tell me if you have just the 377, the original Accu-Sim pack, or the later Captain of the Ship expansion?

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

jbirdsal
Airman

Re: B377 elec fuel pump pressure atrophy -- cold weather sta

Post by jbirdsal »

B377 Captain of the Ship, FSX Win7(64).

Apologies, I had meant to include that info. My bad.

Cheers,

Jason

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”