IFR Approach & Landings

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
Ernest Wimberly
Airman First Class

IFR Approach & Landings

Post by Ernest Wimberly »

I enjoy making IFR ILS approaches. Preferably real weather with low vis rainy weather OTW.
I am having a problem making IFR ILS approaches because the ILS needles will not line me up on the runway that I have dialed in. I have attempted several approaches at familiar air fields and the needles err every time. If I flew the needles I would become a lawn dart. Any suggestions?

seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Re: IFR Approach & Landings

Post by seaniam81 »

Does the ILS actually line up with the runway in FS? I know of a few that are way off.

Ernest Wimberly
Airman First Class

Yes in the beginning of the approach the needles appear to line up in the general direction of the runway. As the approach proceeds and especially when the altitude bar starts dropping the course bar drifts to the right and the altitude bar continues to drop even tho the Vasi is showing full red (below glide path). At decision height 300' the course needle is off to the right with the AC lined up perfectly on the runway. The altitude bar indicates that the AC should be much lower even tho the Vasi indicates that I am on glide path. If I fly the needles excluseivly I would crash.
Hope this clearly explaines my problem.

VulcanB2
Master Sergeant

Post by VulcanB2 »

Can you get a screenshot please? Also - which airport/runway, and do you have any add-on scenery installed there?

Best regards,
Robin.
A2A/AccuSim. 'nuff said!

Ernest Wimberly
Airman First Class

No add on scenery. Try KCHS Rwy 15 ILS 109.7 and /or Rwy 33 ILS 108.8. If you are not having problems with the accuracy of the ILS needles in your Strat then it might be necessary for me to uninstall and reinstall my Strat to resolve the problem.

VulcanB2
Master Sergeant

Post by VulcanB2 »

Hi,

I'll try it shortly!

Do you have CotS?

Best regards,
Robin.
A2A/AccuSim. 'nuff said!

bigjuicyspider
Master Sergeant

Post by bigjuicyspider »

I tried the rwy 33 ILS approach in the Stratocruiser and saw no anomalies. Both the loc and gs took me right in.

Have you tried doing these approaches using a different airplane, and if so, what happens?
1)i7 980x 4.35 ghz, gtx 470s SLI, Matrox th2go, Creative x-fi
2)i7 2600k, Gigabyte z68x, gtx 285s sli

Split Flaps
Airman Basic

Post by Split Flaps »

bigjuicyspider wrote:I tried the rwy 33 ILS approach in the Stratocruiser and saw no anomalies. Both the loc and gs took me right in.

Have you tried doing these approaches using a different airplane, and if so, what happens?
I have the same problem with the ILS not working correctly. I have tried the approach using the default C-172 (no problem), PMDG JS41 (no problem) using both default scenery and FSDream Team scenery. The LOC and G/S show the B377 to be high and to the right of course.

Unless the ILS problem can be fixed, the B377 is a VFR only aircraft, or restricted to non-precision approaches using the RMI. :(

BS

Split Flaps
Airman Basic

Post by Split Flaps »

Split Flaps wrote:
bigjuicyspider wrote:I tried the rwy 33 ILS approach in the Stratocruiser and saw no anomalies. Both the loc and gs took me right in.

I have the same problem with the ILS not working correctly. I have tried the approach using the default C-172 (no problem), PMDG JS41 (no problem) using both default scenery and FSDream Team scenery. The LOC and G/S show the B377 to be high and to the right of course.

Unless the ILS problem can be fixed, the B377 is a VFR only aircraft, or restricted to non-precision approaches using the RMI. :(

BS
After numerous attempts to fix this problem and a request for support from A2A that went unanswered, I finally came up with a solution for this problem. The solution is to DELETE the airplane from my Harddrive. What a shame, it had so much potential.

BS

N1684T
Staff Sergeant

Post by N1684T »

Sorry you feel that way BS,I would not give up so quick,I myself somtimes have situations in FSX that an ILS glidslope and VOR's does not work in a situation,funny thing though the next time I try it, it works. Go figure that one. I don't think this is an A2A problem with the Stratocruiser at all, it's Microsoft FSX. I seem to remember reading something about problems with this in another forum some time back in the past, I can't remember where,but the issue was hinted at SimConnect. I myself don't know. What kind of system do you run FSX on?? that can have alot to do with it.

Best Regards
Mark S.
Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress-Accusimed/Boeing 377 Stratocruiser-COTS/ Piper Cub-Accusimed/Cessna 172 Trainer/Piper Cherokee 180/T-6 "TEXAN"/Constellation L049

Split Flaps
Airman Basic

Post by Split Flaps »

I run FSX on a dedicated Vista 32 machine using Simconnect for ASE. The ILS works on the Captain Sim C130, PMDG B737/B747/MD11, JS41, CLS DC10/B747, HJG B707/B727, and the default FSX aircraft. I even created a small 2d panel for B377 with just an ILS gauge which showed the aircraft in the correct positon on the LOC/GS, but the B377 ILS always shows the aircraft to be high and to the right of the correct path.

Before you beat on me about not understanding ILS and big radials I have a DC-3 type rating and having been a military/commercial pilot for 45 years.

BS

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

I'm not an official A2A member, but I can assure you it's being looked at. As we are using standard coding for the ILS, it is odd that it is not working properly, and beyond this thread, there are no other reports of this happening that the users themselves haven't fixed on their end.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Lost in Isaan
Airman

Post by Lost in Isaan »

I, for one, have never seen a problem with the ILS operation and even tried an alternate 2D ILS as per the method BS described with these results:

I dual boot Xp SP3 and W7 64 bit with FSX SP2 on the Xp platform and FSX Acc on the other. I see no problem in either system.
Regards
Bruce

Split Flaps
Airman Basic

Post by Split Flaps »

CodyValkyrie wrote:I'm not an official A2A member, but I can assure you it's being looked at. As we are using standard coding for the ILS, it is odd that it is not working properly, and beyond this thread, there are no other reports of this happening that the users themselves haven't fixed on their end.
It's is now too late. Since A2A has not replied to my concerns/problems with the B377, I have now deleted the B377 from my hard drive. The sad thing is there were other aircraft they build that appeared very interesting that I've decided not to purchase because of the unresloved problems I've had with the B377.

BS

Icarus1976
Airman First Class

Post by Icarus1976 »

I'm sorry the 377 doesn't meet your standards, nevertheless it's fun to fly and always a challenge (at least for me) to land this bird.
I honestly hope you will give it another try once your anger has faded. You said you were a pilot for the military. I can't believe you're giving up that easily, just because some thing doesn't work as expected! No offence.
Unlike you, I have zero real life flying experience and therefore don't know jack ?()^ about ILS approaches or flying in general. So I can't really comment or help you with this particular issue.
Check out my FSX videos here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/racefreak1976

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”