Sunday 28 Oct 18 - Doctors' back country fishing trip

For those who love to fly in multiplayer
new reply
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Sunday 28 Oct 18 - Doctors' back country fishing trip

Post by Paughco »

We're all Bonanza flyin' doctors, and, we know that Harry Bliss is right on when he says, "With this baby we can go anywhere we want to!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihee35QrWtk.

Weather for this trip will be P3D or FSX "clear."

We decide to meet in McCall, Idaho on Sunday morning at McCall Muni (KMYL), at 1200 local time (Mountain Daylight Time), brief, then take off for Atlanta, Idaho (55H) at 1230 MDT (1830 Zulu). We climb to 9,000 feet in order to clear Rocky Peak while flying our first leg, 36 nm on 129degM. From there we fly East along Forest Service Road (FS) 579, to Bruce Meadows Strip (U63). Oh yeah - we have to land at Bruce Meadows. No problem, it's a 5,000 ft long grass runway in a nice wide, flat valley. Maybe more like a flood plain, at 6,370 ft, so we'll have to keep it on the runway. The valley widens out nicely about 5 miles from Bruce Meadows, so we can descend to 5,800 ft or so on the way in and do a straight-in approach to Rwy 05.

Now that we have boosted our confidence by landing our Bonanzas on a dirt/grass strip, we can take off on Rwy 23 and make a right turn to continue eastward down the valley. Pretty soon we intercept Idaho Highway 21. We fly past Silva Ranch (13ID), and Stanley (2U7), where we follow ID Hwy 75 south. We leave ID Hwy 75 just before we get to Smiley Creek (U87), turning right to fly over Alturas Lake. We Fly down the canyon to the SW, and start climbing up to 9,000 feet, because about 10.6 miles after the lake we're going to have to fly over a ridge to drop (and I mean drop) down into the Boise River Middle Fork Valley. Drop about 10 degrees flaps and the gear after you clear the ridge and start a descent to about 7,000 feet. You'll see Atlanta a couple miles down the valley, and notice that there is a mountain on the other side of the river, right in the way of a straight-in approach to Rwy 34. Best way I can see to make an approach is to fly past the south end of the runway and then turn south to fly up the Yuba River Canyon and fly counterclockwise around the mountain. Start descending down the canyon toward the runway (on a course of 312 degM) and keep your speed down. You'll have to make a curving final into Rwy 34, which is sloped uphill. Park your airplane at the top. Get your gear and we'll hike down to the River and Atlanta, Idaho. There's a nice hot spring in the Middle Fork of the Boise River. You did bring some ice for your beer, didn't you?

Here is the link to the flight plan, created in Little Nav Map and left in Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/de09bv39gieat ... 9.pln?dl=0. WAIT a few seconds after the link opens. First it'll say you can't preview the file, then a download button will appear in about 10 seconds.

Seeya
ATB
Last edited by Paughco on 23 Oct 2018, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.

Corsair015
Senior Airman

Re: Sunday 28 Oct 18 - Doctors' back country fishing trip

Post by Corsair015 »

Sounds good, gonna bring my best fishing rod!

That film, old as it may be, is still very informational!
ImageImageImage
Corsairs Forever!

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Just took a quick trip out of McCall; north to the Salmon River, west to Riggins, then south down the Little Salmon back to McCall. Great scenery, and some fun canyons. Nice choice, Paughco. Looking forward to this trip!

Tobus75
Senior Airman

Post by Tobus75 »

Hope I can make it, but like last week looking doubtful.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

ratty wrote:Just took a quick trip out of McCall; north to the Salmon River, west to Riggins, then south down the Little Salmon back to McCall. Great scenery, and some fun canyons. Nice choice, Paughco. Looking forward to this trip!
Also great motorcycle territory. One of our favorite rides is to ride from Pugetropolis down to Lewiston/Clarkston, then down 95 to Grangeville. We stay at the Gateway Inn (nice pool!). The next morning we ride south on 95 down through the 95 mph sweepers at White Bird and stop for breakfast in Riggins. What a blast! From there, the possibilities are endless!

Hmm. Think I'll go for a ride right now! It's foggy, but that will burn off and the rain is coming this afternoon.

Seeya tomorrow
ATB

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

Can I bring my P 51 as I don't have the Bonanza or would a spitfire be more similar in terms of speed ?
AKA "Memey"

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

HE11DUDE04 wrote:Can I bring my P 51 as I don't have the Bonanza or would a spitfire be more similar in terms of speed ?
The Spitfire, definitely. The Bo trots along at about 150 knots, 170 mph or so. And the field at Atlanta is at 5,500 feet, tricky to get into, and only 3,400 feet long.

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

ratty wrote:
HE11DUDE04 wrote:Can I bring my P 51 as I don't have the Bonanza or would a spitfire be more similar in terms of speed ?
The Spitfire, definitely. The Bo trots along at about 150 knots, 170 mph or so. And the field at Atlanta is at 5,500 feet, tricky to get into, and only 3,400 feet long.
thanks I will do some practise at sitting at 170 mph in the P 51 this morning as I would prefer to cruise and chill rather than be pushing the spit but I guess i can experiment over future bo flights :D
AKA "Memey"

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”