new reply
ratty
Technical Sergeant

Group Flight Sunday May 13: Calling all Connie pilots

Post by ratty »

Aid Flight to La Paz

In the late 1940's . . .

To all Constellation crews:

The recent massive earthquake in South America has devastated the city of La Paz, Bolivia. Many of its citizens require immediate evacuation. Our task is to provide shuttle flights to ferry in supplies and aid workers, and to fly out evacuees.

Assemble at Coronel FAP Carlos Ciriani Santa Rosa International Airport (SPTN), Tacna, Peru, after 1800 Zulu for a 1900 departure.

Route:
La Paz El Alto International (SLLP) is 151nm away on a bearing of 058.

The highest terrain directly on the route is Mount Sirk'i Qullu, which rises to 18,196ft. Higher terrain lies immediately to the north. Pilots should fly to the SOUTH of this mountain.

Weather is expected to be - Clear.

GPS? No. Anachronistic and unnecessary. Be happy there are VORs.

Note:
La Paz El Alto lies at an elevation of 13,325ft. We recommend that you carry a minimal (but safe) amount of fuel that will allow you to fill all the seats at La Paz and still get off the ground.
The earthquake has rendered the (ahistorical) main runway unusable. The active runway is the 6,500-foot dirt strip, 10L/28R, on the north side of the airfield.

Meet on JoinFS Skypark hub.
Comms through A2A Discord community.

For more information on how to get started, see:
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 79&t=63659

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Re: Group Flight Sunday May 13: Calling all Connie pilots

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Fascinating mission and kudos for putting such thought and planning into it. I assume you have done this departure already? I landed here in the Connie and with minimal fuel and half load of passengers it took almost the entire 13,000+ foot asphalt runway to lift off. This was with shifting superchargers into High half way down the runway.

It was a great challenge. I'm not sure I would have tried the 6,500 foot dirt runway :shock: but perhaps shifting into high blowers sooner would make the difference.

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Thanks, Roger, I'm glad you liked it. I thought it might be an entertaining little amuse bouche for the Connie drivers.

I'm getting out of La Paz, with 44 passengers and a couple of hundred gallons per tank, by winding up against the brakes with the high blowers engaged. She will get off the dirt runway, but it takes a long time to get up past 80 knots. Still, on 28R, if all else fails and if you can dodge the trees, there's a drop-off just a couple of hundred yards beyond the runway end.

The part I haven't mastered is getting down gracefully from 16,000 feet to 1,500 feet at Tacna in only a little over 30 miles. I know there's been discussion of this before in the forums but I can't remember: what's the maximum speed for the first stage of flaps?

Edit: Just looked for it and found 174 knots, 200 mph.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Due to winds I departed on 10. Trying to not switch blowers to high while on ground I let it roll for a long ways before deciding that high blowers was going to be a necessity. Then there was the bobbing and weaving between buildings as panic set it :shock:

Currently my Connie is on the Arabian Sea on the Island of Seychelles. That would be over 27 hours of flight time to get there in time for the flight. I suppose I could wave my magic P3D wand and with a little magic get there in a hurry. We'll see. I have some things to do this weekend.

It does sound very interesting. I like to fly with a scenario in mind as it makes the flight much more meaningful. 8)

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Ratty: I haven't flown my Connie in quite a while. What better way to requalify in the Connie than to fly next Sunday's route? Getting up there was pretty easy. Getting out of El Alto was something else. I had to override the FE and manually set high blowers to get out of there on the available runway. Flew over the mountains at 18,500 ft and was still at 8,000 by the time we passed over SPTN, so we flew out over the ocean and then turned back for a left downwind approach to RWY 20.

Flash: You could use a different Connie for the Sunday flight!

Seeya
ATB

SkyHawk024
Airman First Class

Post by SkyHawk024 »

boeing 377's allowed to join in?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Absolutely! We're mostly non-denominational :D . The more the merrier.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Ratty: Something we need to think about in planning for this mission: Next Sunday is MOTHER'S DAY!

I'm committed to building a raised bed planting box this weekend, either two 2'x8', or one 4'x8'. I've asked my wife for a block of time between 1100 and 1400 (local PDT time) for flying, but I gotta tell ya, non of my motorcycle riding buddies are going on any mc rides on this coming Sunday.

My vote is we stand down one week due to Mother's Day. I'll be there if we decide to press on, but I'll have safety pins pulled out on my ejection seat.

Seeya
ATB

Tobus75
Senior Airman

Post by Tobus75 »

Question: this is a to and from flight, correct? so 1900z take off SPTN to SPLL, then back?
If yes, I'll probably only have time for 1 flight, so see what I'll take.

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Paughco wrote:Ratty: Something we need to think about in planning for this mission: Next Sunday is MOTHER'S DAY!

I'm committed to building a raised bed planting box this weekend, either two 2'x8', or one 4'x8'. I've asked my wife for a block of time between 1100 and 1400 (local PDT time) for flying, but I gotta tell ya, non of my motorcycle riding buddies are going on any mc rides on this coming Sunday.

My vote is we stand down one week due to Mother's Day. I'll be there if we decide to press on, but I'll have safety pins pulled out on my ejection seat.

Seeya
ATB

Agreed.

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Tobus75 wrote:Question: this is a to and from flight, correct? so 1900z take off SPTN to SPLL, then back?
If yes, I'll probably only have time for 1 flight, so see what I'll take.
Yes. It's intended as a round trip, and takes about two hours, but you can fly just one part.

I'm curious how a 1900 Zulu start time works for you. Most of the people in our groups recently have been from the US.

Tobus75
Senior Airman

Post by Tobus75 »

I'm Dutch, so utc1900 is 2100LT for me. As mom is done with me for the night, I think me and some other Andras Meridian VA pilot(s) will fly #1 and we'll do the return flight with the rest.

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”