How to get started in A2A MP flights

For those who love to fly in multiplayer
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Guys: I've tried to write down the basics for getting started in our A2A MP flights, but I may have left something out.

We use the "DigitalThemePark" server on JoinFS. Here is a link to the web site: https://joinfs.net/install.html. Click on "About," "Install," and "Manual" to get the instructions on how to download, install, and operate. It's pretty easy. Make sure that you ignore, and don't click on the flashy pop-up for some kind of Driver Download. Don't know what that's all about, but definitely is NOT anything to do with JoinFS.

Next, we use "Discord" for communication. This is another free download. Here is the link: https://discordapp.com/. More stuff to read, download, install, etc. You need to establish a logon ID, password, etc. I use the same stuff for Discord as I have for this A2A forum. Then you have to log on to Discord and navigate to the "A2A Community." I've got a Discord shortcut on my desktop, and when I double click on it, it opens a window that is connected to the A2A Community. There's a spot where you can click to join a voice channel. We usually use "MP Flying Chat 1."

I recommend that you try the steps described below some time other than just before you want to join a MP flight! :) That way you can fool around, read the manuals, fool around some more, etc.

Here is the typical sequence I go through in getting ready for a MP flight:
1) Put on headset.
2) Open Discord, click on MP Flying Chat 1. Unfold, then tap the boom mic to see if the little green circle come on showing that my mic is live. Fold it back in.
3) Open JoinFS, click on View, Hubs, and check that I'm joined up with "DigitalThemePark." (I've got it set to autojoin DigitalThemePark, but I check anyway).
4) If we've agreed to use real weather, open up Active Sky. If not, omit this step and use "Fair" or "Clear" default weather.
5) Open P3D (or FSX, whatever) and load the agreed upon aircraft (usually the T-6 Texan) and starting field.

Steps 1 through 5 take all of about five minutes, not counting the time it takes for P3D to load, but typically on a fly day I start about a half hour before our planned takeoff time. Once there, I prepare the aircraft, start it up, let it warm up a bit, then maybe do a mag check, etc. About that time folks start to arrive. Chit chat ensues while we discuss the flight ahead, and wait for others to show up. We try to take off on time.

I ask the rest of you guys to add any comments that may be helpful. It would be cool if we could eventually have a sticky with a concise description of how to set up and use MP for our flights.

Thank you
ATB
Last edited by Paughco on 19 Mar 2022, 19:47, edited 5 times in total.

HighBypass
Airman First Class

Re: How to get started in A2A MP flights

Post by HighBypass »

Just curious, in case I ever decide to buy a headset and try multiplayer ... with a Connie.... (only A2A aircraft in my hangar) :mrgreen: If real weather is agreed on, does it have to be Active Sky? I only have FSOpen Clouds at the moment (FSX:SE user here).
Thanks.

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

HighBypass wrote:Just curious, in case I ever decide to buy a headset and try multiplayer ... with a Connie.... (only A2A aircraft in my hangar) :mrgreen: If real weather is agreed on, does it have to be Active Sky? I only have FSOpen Clouds at the moment (FSX:SE user here).
Thanks.
We've been flying with a mix. Sometimes some people run real weather while others choose from the FSX selection, usually Clear or Fair. And if we ever decide to all fly with "real" weather, it shouldn't make any difference WHICH weather generation utility we each use, should it? :wink: I've been on a couple of group flights in which my FSGlobal weather matched up pretty closely with someone else's Active Sky.

My recommendation: bring your Connie - or anything else! - and jump in on Sunday. There are a several guys who fly without a mic - at least, that's why I assume we never hear from them. If you sign up on Discord you can post messages on the A2A community page.

Hmmm. Perhaps it's time for a Connie group flight! We've never done one of those . . .

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Link to A2A Community discord is in my sig here on the forums btw. Its open to every A2A customer, MP flyer or not it just happens that its damn useful for the MP flights 8) :mrgreen:

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Link to A2A Community discord is in my sig here on the forums btw. Its open to every A2A customer, MP flyer or not it just happens that its damn useful for the MP flights 8) :mrgreen:

thanks,
Lewis
Lewis: Thank for chiming in! Hey, you started this thing, and it's really cool!

A group Connie flight might be fun. Last December I listened in to a group Connie flight from Fairbanks to somewhere in northern Alaska - like Santa's personal strip, or something. Guess if they could coordinate all those B-29s out of Tinian back in the day we can manage a group takeoff and flight with a bunch of Connies. One possible flight might be KSAN to KSFO via the standard SkyVector route:  KSAN > MZB V25 LAX V299 VTU V25 SFO > KSFO, maybe 12,500 feet. This would take two hours.

Seeya
ATB

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Paughco wrote: A group Connie flight might be fun. Last December I listened in to a group Connie flight from Fairbanks to somewhere in northern Alaska - like Santa's personal strip, or something. Guess if they could coordinate all those B-29s out of Tinian back in the day we can manage a group takeoff and flight with a bunch of Connies. One possible flight might be KSAN to KSFO via the standard SkyVector route:  KSAN > MZB V25 LAX V299 VTU V25 SFO > KSFO, maybe 12,500 feet. This would take two hours.

And I'm working on a challenging little Connie flight in South America that will also take about two hours. :D

HighBypass
Airman First Class

Post by HighBypass »

Thank you, gentlemen 8)

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

ratty wrote:
Paughco wrote: A group Connie flight might be fun. Last December I listened in to a group Connie flight from Fairbanks to somewhere in northern Alaska - like Santa's personal strip, or something. Guess if they could coordinate all those B-29s out of Tinian back in the day we can manage a group takeoff and flight with a bunch of Connies. One possible flight might be KSAN to KSFO via the standard SkyVector route:  KSAN > MZB V25 LAX V299 VTU V25 SFO > KSFO, maybe 12,500 feet. This would take two hours.

And I'm working on a challenging little Connie flight in South America that will also take about two hours. :D
Cool! Guess I'd better take my Connie out for a couple hops just to get back in practice.

Seeya
ATB

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

And here's a glimpse of some of the things we get up to.

https://youtu.be/QzQ0OiQbgv0

Tobus75
Senior Airman

Post by Tobus75 »

All set, but ..... FSX:SE seems to happily crash on startup with discord app open. 3rd in a row on an otherwise very stable installation. Now trying the web app. Anyone else experience similar behavior?

Secondly: I do not see "skypark" server in fshost, so if not available for others I'd suggest Cyberavia, as that's always on and stable afaict.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I've seen this the past three days. Yesterday I uninstalled and re-installed Discord and was then able to run my installation of FSX-SE without problem. Did so again, this morning with no issues. Saw your post and tried again and FSX either won't load or crashes if already loaded and Discord started afterwards. I've tried about 4 times now in different orders. FSX-SE works fine as long as Discord is not active...so this is something new.

You mention fshost, I think the venue is JoinFS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by Jacques on 11 May 2018, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.

Tobus75
Senior Airman

Post by Tobus75 »

Jacques wrote:I've seen this the past three days. Yesterday I uninstalled and re-installed Discord and was then able to run my installation of FSX-SE without problem. Did so again, this morning with no issues. Saw your post and tried again and FSX either won't load or crashes if already loaded and Discord started afterwards.

well u can confirm the web thing works flawlessly. som youre saying sim first, then discord when all loaded up?

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

No, it kills FSX_SE no matter the order. I don't know what you are using...FSX boxed, P3D v? FSX-SE?

Tobus75
Senior Airman

Post by Tobus75 »

FSX:SE, but planning for a new rig and moving on to P3D4 soon.
I can also confirm FSX:SE crashes when discord app comes into play, regardless of starting order.
The web thing works fine though, so I shall have to refrain from making funny noises as PTT makes way for voice activated speech :lol: .

And yes, joinfs, not fshost, ofcourse. Skypark is a no find for me. I usually fly via Cyberavia, or connect to someone's coded ip to get into things.

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Tobus75 wrote:And yes, joinfs, not fshost, ofcourse. Skypark is a no find for me. I usually fly via Cyberavia, or connect to someone's coded ip to get into things.
Skypark runs the latest version of JoinFS and won't show up on versions earlier than 1.4.6.

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”