Headset recommendation

For those who love to fly in multiplayer
new reply
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Headset recommendation

Post by Paughco »

Guys: I want to fly on one of the upcoming multiplayer flights, so I've downloaded Join FS and Discord. Now all I need is a headset. I'd like to get one that works off a USB port on my computer. Ideally I'd like it to be programmable so that I could perhaps use the orange button on my Thrustmaster throttle as a press-to-talk button.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you
ATB

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Re: Headset recommendation

Post by Paul K »

Just for info, Paughco: I have a headset that plugs into the normal headphones and microphone sockets ( i.e. not USB ). Last Sunday during our MP session, I had a button on my X52 throttle mapped to " Push To Talk " in Discord, and it worked fine. So, if you already have a headset, try that first. :)

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Get a USB headset. They are inexpensive and they give you the advantage of being able to split the sound with ATC and the sim sounds, so that voice are clearly heard from the headset, while your speakers are getting the sim sounds like engines etc. If you already have a headset that is not USB, you can get a USB audio adapter, which is what I did, for less than $10. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPYSC4O/re ... 9875163255
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

I live in a small house with my PC in the living room with the TV etc. I have always gamed with a headset for several reasons. a) When playing FPS games such as the Call of Duty series I can hear stereo sound much better with a headset than speakers. b) My TrackIR is attached to my headset so there is that. c) Many times I need to drown out the TV so over-the-ears headset is the way to go.

I always bought cheap headsets until my son bought me a Somic G909. It is a 7.1 surround sound with 40mm bass drivers. The first time I experienced an explosion in CoD Black Ops I nearly crapped my pants :shock: . The immersion is amazing. The sound of those R3350's is amazing. My point is that if you are looking for quality and the cost is not a huge issue try to find a 40mm or 50mm 7.1 surround sound set. This time of year they may be on sale. I wouldn't recommend the Somic brand because they're software is utter crap but there are many other options.

$0.02

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Guys: Thank you for the advice! Right now I have an old set of headphones from a Sony portable tape player that I plug into the headphone socket on my left Bose speaker. This thing predates iPods, CDs, etc., but it's been working for times when my wife complains about the noise from my C-47. Now I just ordered a Somic G909. Hey, I just had another idea! Maybe I can download Discord onto my iPhone and use it in speaker mode. Might work for that C172 flight tomorrow.

Seeya
ATB

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Logitech USB purchased at Walmart works for me. I paid $35 some time ago. Now seems to be rolled back to $19.99 per their website.

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”