Smoking Comanches

For those who love to fly in multiplayer
new reply
Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Smoking Comanches

Post by Ron Attwood »

For the last few online sessions we've had using JoinFS everyone in a Comanche was seen to be smoking like they've just been shot down! This does not apply to any other A2A plane, nor indeed to any other aircraft. We all questioned each other about throttle/mixture settings but no common denominator was discovered. I wouldn't mind, but taxiing behind one can drag the sim to it's knees!
Any clues anyone?
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Smoking Comanches

Post by Tomas Linnet »

I see the same thing, not with the Comanche, but with Spitfires. I think I'm talking to Peter this evening, I'll mention it.

Nice picture signature you've got there btw. I think some of them is so big it's getting to much
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

omx5o
Airman Basic

Post by omx5o »

Hi Ron,

Yes, I've seen this a few times. I'm quite sure that it's down to the way JoinFS updates the aircraft positions. Even a small jump in the location of the network copy of an aircraft can dramatically change the velocity of the aircraft and results in stress and damage. Obviously it's only the networked aircraft that are getting damaged, so it's not a major problem, as everyone's own aircraft will perform normally.

I'll be trying out some fixes for the problem, which should sort it out.

Best regards,
Peter

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

What I have seen is with the A2A B-17G in joinFS. When the "ATC" box is checked, which is the case if
you want to see other aircraft on your radar gauge or GPS equipped with radar display, you will
]see the '3 intensities' of B-17 landing lights continuously cycling from off to each of the next three
settings.

The landing light intensity in the B-17G is normally controlled by the current visibility using one of three different lights. The 'normal' FSX landing light command, the Logo light or one other which I forget at the moment.

That is why hitting the "L" key in a B-17G is a no-no inmultiplayer as it turns on all 3 sets of lights and you look like a miniature sun to other pilots in MP.

Anyhow, this effect in joinFS is annoying but not a show stopped for daytime flying.

Paul

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

It's comforting to know we're not the only ones. ATC box eh. I have missed my buddies on my GPS with JoinFS. Must have a look at that. Cheers.
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

omx5o
Airman Basic

Post by omx5o »

Gypsy Baron wrote:What I have seen is with the A2A B-17G in joinFS. When the "ATC" box is checked, which is the case if
you want to see other aircraft on your radar gauge or GPS equipped with radar display, you will
]see the '3 intensities' of B-17 landing lights continuously cycling from off to each of the next three
settings.
That's right. The advantage of the ATC Mode is that you can then use your radar. The problem is that in order to get the simulator radar/GPS to 'see' the aircraft you have to enable the internal AI of the aircraft. This means that all the controls including the lights constantly get conflicting updates. The AI might decide that lights need to be on. But then the player's actual network aircraft has lights off, so you end up in a constant cycle between what the remote player is doing and what the local AI decides to do. Perhaps there's a way to cure this by updating more frequently. It's something that I'll have to look into.

Obviously with ATC Mode switched off, everything is fine, but you can't see them on the radar/GPS.

Peter

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”