Old lurker, new member, new build-- multi-player specifics?

For those who love to fly in multiplayer
new reply
Carolyn
Airman Basic

Old lurker, new member, new build-- multi-player specifics?

Post by Carolyn »

Hi guys! I have FINALLY saved up the money to build a dedicated pc to Nick Needham's Specs at the Intel 4770K Haswell / Nividia GeForce GTX 780 level, but without the overclocking. I want to keep things simple (and dry). I'm trading in my beloved WoP II Thunderbolt for the WoP III Razorback with AccuFeel. Whoooooeeeee, it's gonna be great!!

Now that I'll soon have a proper system to install FSX on, I'm realizing that I know next to nothing about _online_ thingies like Steam and multi-player. Originally, my only plan was to fly more A2A craft "locally" and, however it's done, connect to the IL-2 Sturmovik BoS multi-player world. Now I'm reading about flying A2A planes multi-player??!!!!

I'd really appreciate any suggestions from you folks whom I've come trust and respect over my years of lurking. Regarding on-line flying, what do I need to know sooner rather than later? That is, what do I need to know before or during this build?

I'll have a couple questions soon regarding multiple monitors (not technical but visual preferences) but I assume I should post them in Pilot's Lounge?

Many years worth of thanks to you all,
Carolyn

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Old lurker, new member, new build-- multi-player specifi

Post by n421nj »

Congrats on the new build
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Well the build you mention is actually an older one now and not best bang for buck for sure, have you already ordered?

Maybe a post in the pilots lounge for the latest and greatest and the best budget builds would be the best shot, for video card a 9xx series would be best in my humble opinion, ideally at least a 970 which ain't all that expensive for the performance you can get out of one.

With regards MP nothing system wise you would need to do, I would suggest concentrating on getting yourself up and running with the new rig prior to the MP investigation.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Carolyn
Airman Basic

Post by Carolyn »

Thank you Andrew and Lewis!

Lewis, no, I haven't already ordered (next week!) and yes, you'll be happy to know I've decided upon the GTX 980. (^8 Hmmm, and maybe the 4790K....?

Thank you for advising I can wait on MP issues. For the sake of testing the new build, I'll need FSX though. Would I be better off buying FSX:SE instead of reinstalling my FSX Gold Edition? Or can I just add on Steam later? (I'm assuming I'll need Steam to MP with my A2A Razorback.) The less spent the better now!

Uhhh, Microsoft *would* let me reinstall my FSX:GE on a new system, wouldn't they? I didn't even use it on my old rig: just flew my good ol' FS9.

Thanks bunches.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

For the multiplayer it'd depend on what you are after I think. There are communities like MS Flights.net who regularly fly and then theres trhe big hardcore simulation ones like Pilot Edge and VATSIM, IVAO etc.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Carolyn
Airman Basic

Post by Carolyn »

Fascinating sites-- thank you Lewis! Wowzers! ATC simulation! After years of flying alone, I never realized how far simming has come.

I do love Il-2 sims, but what fun it will be to fly Lady Lightning out in the 'real world' at last!

(heh heh heh.... Now if only someday she'll be able to dive bomb something, Carolyn chortles gleefully, rubbing her hands together....)

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”